Ireland v scotland

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Agreed. It is actually quite hard to pinpoint a single cause of failure (cue "answer: Clarke" type replies).
Part of me thinks the June dates don't suit us energy-wise... but we looked sharp enough Vs Armenia the other night. Truth is ROI were simply more fired up and determined than us.
Part of me also looks to Clarke's selection and tactics... but he made his changes with plenty of time left today. And the criticism over shifting McTominay into defence and back again feels moot - we were powderpuff in each and every variation we tried.

I didn't watch the game, but is it possible hes lost the dressing room?

Just now, Ken Deans said:

Aye. Austria away who already in the play offs. Denmark already qualified when they came to us. Its not the Ukraine or Irish game only. The surrenders to the Czechs and especially Croatia after half time were ridiculous. Of course we beat the Faroes in the last minute in the North Atlantic. Have no issue if your happy with that. I am not

Sorry Ken, clearly you’re more of a winner than I am. 

Just now, Ken Deans said:

Aye. Austria away who already in the play offs. Denmark already qualified when they came to us. Its not the Ukraine or Irish game only. The surrenders to the Czechs and especially Croatia after half time were ridiculous. Of course we beat the Faroes in the last minute in the North Atlantic. Have no issue if your happy with that. I am not

Why are you even replying to that nonsense mate

3 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

He’s trolling you mate. Just ignore him.

The response after the Denmark game was hyperbolic. We played very well and Denmark had four key players missing. We get pumped in that game if Braithwaite, Damsgaard and the big blonde boy up top (whose name I can't recall right now) play. I enjoyed that result hugely, but it wasn't as if we beat the European Semi Finalists, we beat that team minus a few very important players. The Serbia game was actually Clarke's best moment, until he almost blew it. We were massively on top and comfortable until he made an absolutely disastrous substitution which put us on the back foot for the rest of the game and almost did for us in extra time. 
As has been noted his tactical inflexibility is an issue, but it seems there is also a motivational issue. It sounds like Eire were hungrier than us, which is unforgivable. 
I want him to go but I'm absolutely terrified we get Mark McGhee or whomever is pals with the board right now. Tin pot governance.
The response to the Denmark game was hyperbolic indeed. It was my Dad's funeral that day, so there was hee-haw chance of a balanced assessment from me, certainly! I was a snot and booze based organism for most of that night.

I disagree though with the idea that if the three Danes who didn't play had actually played, we would have been pumped. I think we genuinely turned in a really sharp, switched-on performance that just negated anything Denmark had (kind of like ROI tonight, but to a lesser extent).
Out of interest, were those three rested or banned/injured?

I didn't watch the game, but is it possible hes lost the dressing room?
Valid question. He's not suffering from call offs (like we discussed before), but that team tonight just didn't look like they were putting everything out there. On balance I don't think so, but it's always a see-saw thing.

40 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
He's got a point.
We played well in Serbia yet nearly blew it.  We worked hard at Wembley and were terrific against Denmark.  
Otherwise, it's really not been great, and sometimes - like twice in the last ten days - utterly atrocious.  Those who didn't lose all control and self respect, are entitled to look back.

I didn't go Tonto at you after the Denmark game. Equally, I won't attack you for this. What I would say is, for your own sake, let it go.

Genuine question: Let what go exactly?

6 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

The strongest argument for persisting with Clarke, is you just know he would be replaced by Derek McInnes or Malky MacKay. 

That was the reason for not getting rid of Strachan either.

Discussing the merits of managers is something of a moot point when the folk who appoint them are a much bigger problem.

KT is without doubt our best player. By an absolute fuckin mile. To try and accommodate both him and AR in the team we switched to a back 3. With Tierney in the team it works. Without it’s just shite as we don’t have the players to play it.

This seems to Clark’s problem - he doesn’t switch the team to a formation that suits the players available. Tonight being a classic example. Should’ve played 4-3-3 and pressed the absolute f**k out of a team on a terrible run with no confidence playing in front a crowd who could quickly have turned on them.

Instead we sat back and allowed them to dictate the game, scoring first and giving the crowd a lift.

No plan b from Clark. His subs were pretty much like for like. No imagination.

I think we have a decent squad - best one for a number of years. Clark isn’t the man to get the best out of them - time to bring in someone who can.

And no, I don’t know who…..

I have no qualms with clarkes approach against bigger sides, but setting up like we are playing spain when in fact we are playing a pretty abysmal irish side is what will cost him his job. we are sitting off guys like duffy and allowing him to ping 40 yard passes.

i dont expect too much from scotland but approaching games far more positively and braver would be nice.

Genuine question: Let what go exactly?

Maybe I've got this wrong, but I haven't seen many posts from you since the Denmark game. Then there have been a few sort of "vengeful" ones from you in recent times, aimed at people who were pretty arsey with you for being objective after that match. In short, I think you're better than that. That's all.

13 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Agreed. It is actually quite hard to pinpoint a single cause of failure (cue "answer: Clarke" type replies).
Part of me thinks the June dates don't suit us energy-wise... but we looked sharp enough Vs Armenia the other night. Truth is ROI were simply more fired up and determined than us.
Part of me also looks to Clarke's selection and tactics... but he made his changes with plenty of time left today. And the criticism over shifting McTominay into defence and back again feels moot - we were powderpuff in each and every variation we tried.

This is really grasping at straws. I fail to see how it suits us any less than every other team.

Much of the Ireland team come from the Championship which has more games than our Scottish and EPL players.