Ireland v scotland

30 minutes ago, Lex said:

I think that second half was even worse than the first, man alive. That’s one of - if not the actual - worst Scotland performance I’ve seen in 30 years.
With all the hubris and arrogance from many Scotland fans before this game ‘get them pumped etc’ I’m sure many of us expected a bloody nose and not to win the game. That would be typical Scotland, right?
Maybe it will end in a draw, or could we even narrowly lose? Both of those outcomes would have been utterly unacceptable results.
Like the Ukraine game a few weeks ago, I’m sure even the most pessimistic of us didn’t expect a pumping. But of course that is what has happened, again.
How could anyone have possibly predicted that the worst Ireland team for about 50 years would go out and give us an absolute hiding?
This Scotland team has, for the second time in a couple of weeks, managed to perform even worse than the most pessimistic fan could have foreseen. It’s remarkable how bad we are, really.
That result and performance was nothing short of a national disgrace and 3-0 flatters us. It could easily have been five or six, thankfully Ireland got their cigars out and showed us a bit of mercy in the last 20 minutes.
We barely created a clear cut chance of note in the whole game. Ireland scored three fine goals and missed the two best chances of the game.
None of the starting 11 comes out with any credit there. McGinn and McGregor got a midfield lesson from Knight and Molumby, a couple of kids who play in the English championship. The much mocked Shane Duffy strolled the game and dominated both boxes, give me him over McKenna Hanley and Hendry et all every day of the week. Adams and Christie were there usual anonymous selves. They should watch a tape of Obafemi’s performance today to see what we need from our forwards, he gave our defence the run around, scored one and set one up, outstanding. Ralston and Robertson offered nothing out wide, either defensively or going forward, pathetic. The charlatan Gilmour made us even worse when he came on, does anyone still think he’s potentially world class? Fucking lol.
Clarke won’t be sacked until the end of the Euros campaign, but that’s us completely out the running for winning our group. Lose in Armenia next week and relegation is a real possibility.
Now the back door to Germany 2024 is closed, we will need to finish in the top two of our actual qualification group to get there. Does anyone think we can manage it? Nope, me neither.

Worse than Kazakhstan away?

Worse than the Faroes game where we were 2-0 down after 10 minutes?

Worse than some of the friendlies under Bertie and Burley?

Impressive. I’ll need to watch the highlights to see just how rotten we were.

Sadly my man, it really was. We were utter shadows tonight.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Without question, it belongs in that same company.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I will watch Sportscene with morbid fascination.

We can only hope the players are up for Armenia away and that Clarke can come up with strategy to win the game.

Well, I was sort of half-right before the game. I thought we might end up not scoring, I just didn't realise it'd be due to a complete absence of any creative play in the final third. We could still be playing now and not have scored.

I also didn't expect us to be so lightweight at the back that we'd be thoroughly cuffed by such a deeply mediocre side. It's not like Ireland suddenly pulled out a stellar performance; they were still full of unforced errors that most sides would've punished.

I don't know why the whole team's performances have suddenly dipped so low, but that's another game where Steve Clarke wasn't able to do anything to change it. John McGinn's clearly been in need of a break for a while, and waiting until we were three down in this game is a glacial rate of change; it's all the more depressing that we were worse after changing our entire attack. Ralston was again the best thing on the field for us.

If we can somehow get through the Armenia away game with a win it'll be a massive relief, but surely even Steve Clarke must know that something has to change before the next round of games. We've gone from bad starts to improvements after tactical changes, to bad starts that don't get better. Admit it and get some people in who can help, FFS.

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

No he hasn’t. He’s one of a lot of fans on here who are utterly negative, self-loathing Scots who can’t wait to come on during or after a bad performance to slag everything off.

Todays game was dreadful, as was the Ukraine game, not saying they weren’t. Yet I am not going to be gaslit into pretending that we haven’t had some very good performances under Clarke though, or that we haven’t been much, much better than this or that we haven’t managed to get the results we need when we need them.

The overly negative is as bad as the overly positive - we are not in a place yet to be thinking we should be beating everyone yet denying the good stuff ever occurred or that we have at least improved a bit, is equally as bad. 

I don't think it amounts to a denial that good stuff ever happened.

I think it's more a question of setting that stuff into a wider context.  It's not that pretty a picture and saying so is perfectly legitimate.

The response after the Denmark game was hyperbolic. We played very well and Denmark had four key players missing. We get pumped in that game if Braithwaite, Damsgaard and the big blonde boy up top (whose name I can't recall right now) play. I enjoyed that result hugely, but it wasn't as if we beat the European Semi Finalists, we beat that team minus a few very important players. The Serbia game was actually Clarke's best moment, until he almost blew it. We were massively on top and comfortable until he made an absolutely disastrous substitution which put us on the back foot for the rest of the game and almost did for us in extra time. 

As has been noted his tactical inflexibility is an issue, but it seems there is also a motivational issue. It sounds like Eire were hungrier than us, which is unforgivable. 

I want him to go but I'm absolutely terrified we get Mark McGhee or whomever is pals with the board right now. Tin pot governance.

8 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

... and replace him with who pray tell?

Callum Davidson. 

6 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Me

A balloon with a face painted on it

A plank of wood 

And we'll take one of these as our new manager.

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Just now, velo army said:

As has been noted his tactical inflexibility is an issue, but it seems there is also a motivational issue. It sounds like Eire were more Hank Marvin than us, which is unforgivable. 

Fixed.