Ireland v scotland

9 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I take it Armenia must be a lot stronger at home, in their wn climate, stadium, etc? Otherwise, based on Wednesday's glimpse of them, Ireland must be absolute mince to lose to them. Strictly on the form book Scotland should cruise this so I'm half-expecting a doing.

It's fucking miles away (6 hours from Dublin) which can't be ideal for anyone on a short turn around.

Ireland, though, are pish in the Nations League - they've not won a single game in 12 attempts and only San Marino have scored less goals than them.

52 minutes ago, G51 said:

The Irish press are *really* ramping up the pressure on Kenny ahead of this game. Talk of him being finished if they don't win.

Should still have too much for them, but always bear in mind one of the most important laws of sports betting - beware the "wounded animal" team.

Stephen Kenny is class in my view.

Rugby doesn't have a Northern Ireland team, certainly, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the Ireland team we are playing tomorrow is able to select players from right across the island of Ireland, and indeed has a couple from Derry in the current squad.

16 hours ago, denltfc said:

Well large numbers of Scots in Dublin already, I brought my 3 year old past 3 drunk grown men pissing in the train station and another puking his ring up at 1pm !  Although my young lad did want to know why the men wore dresses ... but its pride month 

I am not feeling confident about Ireland at all but we can't go any lower. Kenny is not up to the job, it saddens me as a Longford Town fan,  he walks on water for bringing the worst club in Ireland to the Premier Division and getting to a cup final and playing in Europe. 

I think Scotland 2-1 tomorrow. 

Fucking state of this. 

With regards to the game, we really need to win this, it’s by far the worst South Ireland side in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Stephen Kenny is an absolute diddy.

He’s trying to instil a style of football that really none of his squad play at club level and who are generally championship level players. It was never going to work really.

11 hours ago, G51 said:

The Irish press are *really* ramping up the pressure on Kenny ahead of this game. Talk of him being finished if they don't win.

Should still have too much for them, but always bear in mind one of the most important laws of sports betting - beware the "wounded animal" team.

I don't think he'll be sacked - every series of games so far has been a referendum on the manager's position - because he had his success in the League of Ireland the PL supporting brigade never liked him etc. 

Our performances in the last two games have been completely lifeless and two more like that today and on Tuesday could really start to see the pressure ramp up. I think we can play a lot better than we have this week and even with a shite squad on paper can do well in games like these. A good performance and a draw would probably quieten things down a bit. 

We're still hugely a team in transition and I honestly don't know what people think sacking the manager, getting another failed English Championship hoofball merchant in and undoing all of the genuinely good work in changing our style of play would achieve. 

I don't think a draw or a defeat in this game would be catastrophic for Scotland, but it's looking like if we want to finish top of the group we can't rely on Armenia or Ireland to do us a favour. If we don't take maximum points from the next two games we will have to make up for it in September against Ukraine.

I like the fact that our first match of the September camp is at Hampden against Ukraine. I think whatever way you slice it that game will be crucial.

I don't think a draw or a defeat in this game would be catastrophic for Scotland, but it's looking like if we want to finish top of the group we can't rely on Armenia or Ireland to do us a favour. If we don't take maximum points from the next two games we will have to make up for it in September against Ukraine.
I like the fact that our first match of the September camp is at Hampden against Ukraine. I think whatever way you slice it that game will be crucial.
A defeat in this game would be an utter disaster......
1. ROI are dross, they have shite players who play at a dreadful level (both their good wing backs are out)
2. Kenny is tactically inept and seems to have lost the dressing room.
3. If we lose, Ukraine will cigar the group.

Ireland 1 0...

15 minutes ago, Loominous said:

I don't think a draw or a defeat in this game would be catastrophic for Scotland

What is it Scotland fans accepting mediocre results before they even get going? The Nations League is a tournament that, to achieve your goals, you need win you group. We have a winnable group and we want a Euro 24 playoff spot, so it goes to stand we need to be winning this group. The additional benefit from being in League A next time round would probably be a better WCQ seeding but i've not looked that far ahead tbh.

Ireland and Armenia are absolute dung - if we want to beat Ukraine to 1st place then anything less than 10 points from the 4 games against them isn't going to be enough. 10 points plus a win Ukraine at Hampden means we can go away to them and avoid defeat and it will be enough.

With a long trip to Armenia in June to come on Tuesday, anything less than 3 points tonight is catastrophic for this campaign.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I’m sure there was something about Hanley only coming back into the squad last year after getting assurances about game time, and he’s started every game he was available for since then until Wednesday night. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t come back in tonight.

I’m sure there was something about Hanley only coming back into the squad last year after getting assurances about game time, and he’s started every game he was available for since then until Wednesday night. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t come back in tonight.
I'd imagine the conversations would've been when Clarke was appointed three years ago as he's been in pretty much every possible squad since then (often dropping out), but Andy Bargh from The Tartan Scarf was saying that Hanley was a bit wary of coming back because of the criticism he used to get no matter how he played.