Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, flood said:

He was interviewed for the Killie job when McInnes was appointed.

He came across really well and impressed the Killie board, unlucky not to get job.

To be fair these were his words , not any inside info at RP!

This is the type Raith should go for. Young, hungry but a drive to improve. The fact he got that interviews speaks volumes. Goodwin got Aberdeen (another Young manager) McPake got Dundee promoted ( linked with a few jobs after promotion also in Hibs and Burton I think) 

The difference between these 3 and Moloney and Glass is that they have managerial experience now and all 3 have a promotion. Raith won’t get Goodwin but just my belief of what type of managers should be given a chance instead of the old guard. 

Thomson and McPake out of all the candidates have won promotion recently. Thomson won the title in League 2, highly regarded at Rangers.

Aye, not really noteworthy though is it?

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 hours ago, GazH6 said:

Because it was an accomplishment any semi-competent manager could have achieved. Even Barry Ferguson was successful with them.

He’s young, he had the big budget which brings it’s own pressure, got the job done. We need more young managers.  

Who would you prefer just out of interest? Gordon Dalziel? 

10 hours ago, GazH6 said:

This is the type Raith should go for. Young, hungry but a drive to improve. The fact he got that interviews speaks volumes. Goodwin got Aberdeen (another Young manager) McPake got Dundee promoted ( linked with a few jobs after promotion also in Hibs and Burton I think) 

The difference between these 3 and Moloney and Glass is that they have managerial experience now and all 3 have a promotion. Raith won’t get Goodwin but just my belief of what type of managers should be given a chance instead of the old guard. 

I was at first not keen on Thomson but after chatting to a Kelty fan at my work and reading your post I think we need to go down young and hungry route. Need someone with good contacts in the Scottish game, plays good football with a modern approach, he has handled pressure at rangers/hibs . Him or Steven Naismith would do us well I think and I have no issue with them using us as a stepping stone to a bigger club, if they got that it means we have done well. We aren’t going to get another Mcglynn no point looking for one .

He’s young, he had the big budget which brings it’s own pressure, got the job done. We need more young managers.  

Who would you prefer just out of interest? Gordon Dalziel? 
I couldn't care who Raith hire. I'm just saying that Thomson hasn't done anything of note yet so I wouldn't be overly excited as a Raith fan if he was your man.

I have no issue with them using us as a stepping stone to a bigger club, if they got that it means we have done well. We aren’t going to get another Mcglynn no point looking for one .

That’s what annoys me most- we had a very talented manager who, before the last 3 months happened, was never ever going to leave us searching for the next rung on his way up the ladder.

Continuity, stability and a long term strategy are very undervalued attributes in football managers at this level.

But I agree, it’s highly unlikely that we find another older guy who will do the same job as McGlynn, so why not give a young and hungry guy the chance? The last time we did that was with McKinnon and that went ok. If we could persuade a young guy to buy into a plan that gets us both to the Premier together in the next 5 years or so that would be the ultimate outcome.

I’d rather we tried and failed with Thomson/Naismith/Berra than plucked someone who’s tried and failed elsewhere off the merry go round.

That's Scott Brown being linked in the Scotsman. I won't link to it because frankly the website is unreadable and there's nothing of substance beyond "he's thrown his name into the ring". 

I wouldn't be automatically opposed to someone like Brown (or Berra, for that matter) but I don't think you can expect a first time manager to come in and take over the job that McGlynn was doing without additional support. There needs to be a bigger "football department" to support the manager. Whether that's a director of football or a head scout or head of recruitment, I'm not really bothered, but we have such a tiny operation that's not feasible at the level of football we want to be operating at. You can't expect many managers to walk in, bring in an assistant, and essentially be expected to do everything that it takes to run a Championship football team. 

12 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Hope so 

The only thing credible about McPake's management career so far has been his youth development. Gives youth a much bigger chance than any of our previous managers and has developed a few into promising talents.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

The only thing credible about McPake's management career so far has been his youth development. Gives youth a much bigger chance than any of our previous managers and has developed a few into promising talents.

That’s going to be a key skill for us I think or it should be

If we’re serious about building bridges with the community and being a family club, Scott Brown should be nowhere near our club.

Whether the hard-man/ bully persona is genuine or a facade (I’ve heard from a couple of sources that he is indeed a bell end, others on here have said he’s actually a decent guy so who knows) someone who happily projected that image throughout his 20 year career is not who I want as the figure-head of my club.

I don’t think there’s worse patter on here than fans of teams hilariously suggesting former shite managers to clubs currently in the look out for a new manager.

Anyway, David Hopkin is available and failing that Jim Duffy is a safe pair of hands.