Jump to content

Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager


Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
13 hours ago, Raithie said:
Not necessarily. If McGlynn has went to the board and identified Lafferty, Griffiths and Goodwillie as players who could do a job for us you'd 'assume' he'd have been happy with whatever player the board could realistically afford. It was also spoken about that 7 members of staff voted through the deal so that'll be the 4 board members, CEO, McGlynn and Smith. 

Lafferty for 6 months would have been a no brainer compared to what we ended up with. Irrespective of his past a player who was becoming injury prone and no resale value to boot.

Matej from the start, and we would never have ended up like we did and would've had a large war chest for next season, McGlynn in a way really wasted finances and not just on you know who 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see the boards point of view in terms if reigning in the finances following this season. McGlynn has spent a lot of money for us. Asides from you know who, there was Keatings f**k knows what that cost. Then there were the long term deals for Lang, Zanatta, Connolly, Stanton, Gullan and Ross plus whatever we negotiated to actually get him. So it can't be said he wasn't backed. 1 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I can see the boards point of view in terms if reigning in the finances following this season. McGlynn has spent a lot of money for us. Asides from you know who, there was Keatings f**k knows what that cost. Then there were the long term deals for Lang, Zanatta, Connolly, Stanton, Gullan and Ross plus whatever we negotiated to actually get him. So it can't be said he wasn't backed. 1 

Are the long term deals an issue? Most (all) of those players are of the quality that any half decent manager can make use of. The major f**k up was the expensive Goodwillie signing which will kill our budget for no appreciable benefit. If that cuts our budget to the point it gets us relegated that is a disaster. Unless the next manager can improve us and keep us in the top 4 or (even better) get us promoted that signing could linger around and end up causing us the kind of problems that will lead us back to League One.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are the long term deals an issue? Most (all) of those players are of the quality that any half decent manager can make use of. The major f**k up was the expensive Goodwillie signing which will kill our budget for no appreciable benefit. If that cuts our budget to the point it gets us relegated that is a disaster. Unless the next manager can improve us and keep us in the top 4 or (even better) get us promoted that signing could linger around and end up causing us the kind of problems that will lead us back to League One.

McGlynn ruined us in the transfer window. He should’ve given Poplatnik the chance to shine. If Airdrie don’t make it. I’d love to swoop in on some of their players, and quite possibly their manager. Kevin Thomson will shit his pants if he came here, especially with the meagre budget he’ll be given. Kelty have the finances to fix a problem in any given department on the park. We don’t. He’s a cheque book manager, my gran could’ve managed that team and she’s been dead for over 20 years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not having a dig at anyone, but hasn’t anyone thought the board never actually wanted McGlynn to stay/trust him with a bigger budget after what he wasted it on last season, DG, Keatings, Zanatta, Dick, an injury prone Musonda, MacKie, Varian to name a few and who’s to say the next guy won’t get a bigger budget to be trusted to spend it wisely? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Not having a dig at anyone, but hasn’t anyone thought the board never actually wanted McGlynn to stay/trust him with a bigger budget after what he wasted it on last season, DG, Keatings, Zanatta, Dick, an injury prone Musonda, MacKie, Varian to name a few and who’s to say the next guy won’t get a bigger budget to be trusted to spend it wisely? 

Zanatta was the best player in the league for the first 3 months ish, then we hit a dry patch and McGlynn screwed him over with tactics IMO, still a half decent player there

 

Dick was an okay player for this level, LB is no where near top priority since we have him there. Could we have better? Yeah. Could we have worse? Definitely. 
 

Musonda is a decent player, above average for sure for this league. According to flash score since November he has only missed 1 game (away to Arbroath) but been on the bench unused about 6 times. 
 

Varian was unlucky, got about a lot, had some great link up play at times, got himself in good positions but just wasn’t clinical enough in front of goal, which as a striker you are always going to be judged on that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Not having a dig at anyone, but hasn’t anyone thought the board never actually wanted McGlynn to stay/trust him with a bigger budget after what he wasted it on last season, DG, Keatings, Zanatta, Dick, an injury prone Musonda, MacKie, Varian to name a few and who’s to say the next guy won’t get a bigger budget to be trusted to spend it wisely? 

It’s been suggested the BoD was happy for JMcG to leave as cover for them. As for not trusting, then why leak that they were trying to retain him, unless that was additional cover…

As for your assessment:

Colossal F**kup: DG

Waste: Keatings

Neutral: Dick, Mackie

Mild Success: Musonda, Varian, (Gullan)

Moderate Success: Zanatta, (Arnott), (Ross), (Stanton), (Poplatnik)

Complete Success: (Connolly)

Its not a terrible record.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not sure how accurate the BBC stats are but looking at them, even with the second half of the season, Zanatta was our top scorer and second top for assists.

 

17445317-DDDA-47D5-86B3-982A9A3DAA65.jpeg

Edited by Scary Bear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TxRover said:

It’s been suggested the BoD was happy for JMcG to leave as cover for them. As for not trusting, then why leak that they were trying to retain him, unless that was additional cover…

As for your assessment:

Colossal F**kup: DG

Waste: Keatings

Neutral: Dick, Mackie

Mild Success: Musonda, Varian, (Gullan)

Moderate Success: Zanatta, (Arnott), (Ross), (Stanton), (Poplatnik)

Complete Success: (Connolly)

Its not a terrible record.

It's extremely generous on some individuals as well. Based only on "new" signings for the season just gone, then:

Goodwillie was obviously a doomsday level f**k up. Beyond that, I'd say:

Poor: Keatings, Dick, Riley Snow, Mackie, Gullan, that kid from Dundee United whos' name I've forgotten.

Neutral: Varian, Stanton, Williamson, Zanatta (based on the near symmetrical nature of his season, he's a net zero)

Good: Poplatnik, Conolly, Ross, Berra.

Edited by renton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

It’s been suggested the BoD was happy for JMcG to leave as cover for them. As for not trusting, then why leak that they were trying to retain him, unless that was additional cover…

As for your assessment:

Colossal F**kup: DG

Waste: Keatings

Neutral: Dick, Mackie

Mild Success: Musonda, Varian, (Gullan)

Moderate Success: Zanatta, (Arnott), (Ross), (Stanton), (Poplatnik)

Complete Success: (Connolly)

Its not a terrible record.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on a few like Frankie and Zanatta I never knew frankie missed only 1 game through injury and Zanatta looking at his 2nd half stats is a lot better I apologise, but Varian I don’t think was even a mild success, he never scored enough goals and that’s what a strikers job is, I disagree on Dick I think he’s been an awful signing but that’s my opinion, he’s been suspect defensively and a bit timid going forward, Mackie Meh, agree with Keatings 100%, but my point is did the board see that McGlynn spent all this money to finish 5th with a squad better than probably Partick and Arbroaths and the form dip drastically after spending said money 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, renton said:

It's extremely generous on some individuals as well. Based only on "new" signings for the season just gone, then:

Goodwillie was obviously a doomsday level f**k up. Beyond that, I'd say:

Poor: Keatings, Dick, Riley Snow, Mackie, Gullan, that kid from Dundee United whos' name I've forgotten.

Neutral: Varian, Stanton, Williamson, Zanatta (based on the near symmetrical nature of his season, he's a net zero)

Good: Poplatnik, Conolly, Ross, Berra.

Totally forgot about Riley-Snow and Fotheringham the lad from Dundee United there’s been more poor signings than good imo 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure how accurate the BBC stats are but looking at them, even with the second half of the season, Zanatta was our top scorer and second top for assists.
 
17445317-DDDA-47D5-86B3-982A9A3DAA65.thumb.jpeg.67f7bf58a86e017df2e50e484cd114ee.jpeg

Sobering to see that Vaughan scored more goals in 5 games than Varian did in 36.

And that he was our fifth top-scorer despite playing only 5 games.
Oh what might have been if Lewis had stayed fit all season.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Record reporting that Rovers and Thomson held "positive talks".

Whatever that means.

It means Thomson is positive he doesn't want to join us probably...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The revisionism over Zanatta is absolutely incredible.

How so? He was unplayable for half a season and basically useless for half a season. To an extent you could make an argument that it was really Zanatta's contribution that pulled an otherwise bang average at best side up into early contention.

Now that poor spell, part of that is teams figuring out they could double up on him without worrying about the overlap, and partly that's McGlynn not figuring out how to use him in a way that got past that - fact remains that he was poor. 

Edited by renton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You've got someone suggesting he was a poor signing when he was tearing up the league for half the season. As mentioned, he was hampered by a system change. He and Connolly effectively mirrored each other across the season and yet you'll never hear anyone utter anything about Connolly being a poor signing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

You've got someone suggesting he was a poor signing when he was tearing up the league for half the season. As mentioned, he was hampered by a system change. He and Connolly effectively mirrored each other across the season and yet you'll never hear anyone utter anything about Connolly being a poor signing.

I disagree that Connolly mirrored Zanatta. He never hit the spectacular heights of the latter but he was never less than useful. Fitted in well to the worker/ball carrier from wide role that Armstrong previously did. He had poor games, but his ratio of good to poor over a season was far better than Zanatta's - however Zanatta's "good" games tended to be spectacular match winners.

I don't think Zanatta was a poor signing and I'd be interested to see what a new manager could do with him (McGlynn seemingly having lost faith) but with hindsight there is always the argument as to whether 3 months of scoring worldies every other game was ultimately more useful than had we got a harder working, more consistent player who might have gotten more chances for his team mates over a longer spell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...