Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only place I've read that McGlynn left because of the budget for next season is on here. Yesterday's article with him in the Sun he said "we were made an offer. For me, it wasn't the right offer" He has went to Falkirk for a better wage simple as that. 

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Getting permission to speak to Thomson is one thing, actually convincing him to join us will be a different matter entirely.

IDK, some flowers, a box of chocolates…you know, woo him.

16 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Only place I've read that McGlynn left because of the budget for next season is on here. Yesterday's article with him in the Sun he said "we were made an offer. For me, it wasn't the right offer" He has went to Falkirk for a better wage simple as that. 

To be fair "wasn't the right offer" could be construed any way you want. Certainly not as simple to say the only thing Falkirk bettered was his salary only.

The hype around Thomson is completely bizarre. I'm not saying he'll be a poor appointment, but surely no-one seriously thinks that getting Kelty up this season given the resources and players that he had is evidence that he's a good manager? Anything other than a league win would have been a total failure. He did what he was asked but it's not enough evidence to suggest he's a particularly good manager yet.

Absolutely no issue with any club giving a chance to a younger coach who they think will turn into a decent manager, especially when there aren't many obvious alternatives, but I just find the way people are talking about him as if it's some big coup to appoint him really strange.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The hype around Thomson is completely bizarre. I'm not saying he'll be a poor appointment, but surely no-one seriously thinks that getting Kelty up this season given the resources and players that he had is evidence that he's a good manager? Anything other than a league win would have been a total failure. He did what he was asked but it's not enough evidence to suggest he's a particularly good manager yet.

Absolutely no issue with any club giving a chance to a younger coach who they think will turn into a decent manager, especially when there aren't many obvious alternatives, but I just find the way people are talking about him as if it's some big coup to appoint him really strange.

Would you rather we hold off and take Murray from you if you somehow dont get past QP 😉  

2 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Would you rather we hold off and take Murray from you if you somehow dont get past QP 😉  

I'm actually quite pleased for that reason! Falkirk out the way too,  just need Hughes to stay at Dunfermline now...

Like I say he may be good, nothing to suggest he's a bad manager, but equally very little to suggest he's any good. It's just the hype around him seems out of kilter to what he's actually done.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm actually quite pleased for that reason! Falkirk out the way too,  just need Hughes to stay at Dunfermline now...

Like I say he may be good, nothing to suggest he's a bad manager, but equally very little to suggest he's any good. It's just the hype around him seems out of kilter to what he's actually done.

Whispers on their thread that hes getting the bullett

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He's highly-regarded by the players at Kelty and their fans think Thomson is a huge upgrade on Ferguson, as faint as that praise may be.

It's not like Kelty > Raith is a giant leap either tbh. It's a logical step up the ladder for him and a much-needed change for Rovers. It doesn't mean they'll suddenly win the title but a good appointment IMO.

2 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

He's highly-regarded by the players at Kelty and their fans think Thomson is a huge upgrade on Ferguson, as faint as that praise may be.

It's not like Kelty > Raith is a giant leap either tbh. It's a logical step up the ladder for him and a much-needed change for Rovers. It doesn't mean they'll suddenly win the title but a good appointment IMO.

As I said I'm not criticising the appointment, but there seems to be a hype around him that goes way beyond what he's actually done. If I was a Raith fan, or even if Airdrie had appointed him if Murray left, I'd be pretty indifferent given there's so little to his CV. I appreciate having had McGlynn for years he will perhaps bring a freshness to the team/club that may be needed.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

As I said I'm not criticising the appointment, but there seems to be a hype around him that goes way beyond what he's actually done. If I was a Raith fan, or even if Airdrie had appointed him if Murray left, I'd be pretty indifferent given there's so little to his CV. I appreciate having had McGlynn for years he will perhaps bring a freshness to the team/club that may be needed.

I don't think the Pars could appoint anyone I'd be excited about tbh so indifference sounds like a step up to me.

I'd be surprised if this was anything more than, at this stage, Thomson maybe being the "lead" candidate but there'll still be interviews to come and budget discussions that'll have a bit part to play. 

I think Thomson is the right kind of profile though. He's well thought of, and although he's been working in League Two, you'd think he'd have a decent idea of the quality in the Championship given Kelty's budget. I have a real fear that we bring in a manager who doesn't know the Championship well enough and makes a hash of retaining our existing players, let alone bringing in new ones. 

I'd still like to see a Director of Football type role created too. The nature of a manager like Thomson (and pretty much all managers now, really) is that they'll be around for three years max. Either he'll be shite and he'll get binned or he'll succeed and move on. He doesn't even need to be that successful to be poached by the likes of a St Mirren or a St Johnstone, given how often jobs at that level open up. What we need is some form of continuity and the ability to plan for the medium term. We can't be caught in this position again where more or less the entire football department (two blokes) leaves. 

I suspect if we have officially went to Kelty for permission then there have been unofficial discussions with KT already about whether he has interest or not. I’d imagine amongst that budget etc would have been a factor. 

Kelty will also have asked KT if it’s something he wants to pursue and he must have shown willingness. 

I’d guess it’ll be a goer. I’m just gutted I never got him at 7s yesterday 😂

12 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I'd be surprised if this was anything more than, at this stage, Thomson maybe being the "lead" candidate but there'll still be interviews to come and budget discussions that'll have a bit part to play. 

I think Thomson is the right kind of profile though. He's well thought of, and although he's been working in League Two, you'd think he'd have a decent idea of the quality in the Championship given Kelty's budget. I have a real fear that we bring in a manager who doesn't know the Championship well enough and makes a hash of retaining our existing players, let alone bringing in new ones. 

I'd still like to see a Director of Football type role created too. The nature of a manager like Thomson (and pretty much all managers now, really) is that they'll be around for three years max. Either he'll be shite and he'll get binned or he'll succeed and move on. He doesn't even need to be that successful to be poached by the likes of a St Mirren or a St Johnstone, given how often jobs at that level open up. What we need is some form of continuity and the ability to plan for the medium term. We can't be caught in this position again where more or less the entire football department (two blokes) leaves. 

Can always get shot of the CEO and appoint a DoF, unless shes already gone 

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I don't think Raith really wanted to keep McGlynn tbh. Can imagine they wanted to move on and gave him a low-ball offer that they knew he'd refuse. Think they'll be in a far better position next season with Thomson in the dugout.

That’s a solid working theory…punt JMcG and hope the fans forget the BoD has to OK and pursue the “player”. Meanwhile the BoD has made no statement of any sort besides the departure by mutual consent news release. They stay hunkered in their bunker, probably with Sim now bound and gagged with them, waiting until they feel they can poke their heads out because the fans have forgotten.

Meanwhile, in a normal world, they would have unofficially asked KT if he’d be interested before asking official permission…but this is the Raith BoD…