Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Dick has played both CB and L/RB before, so it’s possible he can be more utility than LB…I doubt Young can step up directly, and Masson isn’t ready (as far as we know), so we pretty much need a FB and two CB, if Bene leaves (and he should, he won’t work as a reserve/cover player). Add a reserve CB/LB, and that’s 4 on the back line alone.

Add two in the middle, hopefully one being Spencer, and we’re at 6. I could see a striker, maybe Pops?

We need more than one striker. Vaughan may come back and last the season but he may also break down after a few games. Ross and Gullan are not number 9s and I don't see them as number 10s. We need presence up front and someone who can score more than a couple of league goals. We need at least 2 strikers with Vaughan and perhaps Mitchell giving us 4 with Gullan perhaps filling in.

My feeling re Poplatnik is the same as I felt re Gullan in Jan.  Happy enough for him to supplement our strike force, not to complete it.
I got carried away a bit by his late season form, but that performance at home to Pars in Jan was grim  for example. Prompted the "our strikers dinnae score goals " statement which set the wheels in motion for you know what.
On sorry but we need a completely different striker as a compliment to Gullan or Poplatnik. Someone able to hold it up and a bit of height. This tippy tappy short ball stuff is ok if you have a world class midfield to create the space and make the passes, alas we don't. The two mentioned need the ball played into then from a secondary striker who acts as the muscle.

11 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
10 hours ago, CALDERON said:
My feeling re Poplatnik is the same as I felt re Gullan in Jan.  Happy enough for him to supplement our strike force, not to complete it.
I got carried away a bit by his late season form, but that performance at home to Pars in Jan was grim  for example. Prompted the "our strikers dinnae score goals " statement which set the wheels in motion for you know what.

On sorry but we need a completely different striker as a compliment to Gullan or Poplatnik. Someone able to hold it up and a bit of height. This tippy tappy short ball stuff is ok if you have a world class midfield to create the space and make the passes, alas we don't. The two mentioned need the ball played into then from a secondary striker who acts as the muscle.

Someone like Gozie ???

7 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Aye, We didn't have a striker with either the guile or the muscle. Vaughan has the guile but I detect a lack of optimism about him now. Murray had Airdrie scoring freely (accepted,  in the division below) so I expect him to sort that out. However, I think getting defenders in will be his immediate priority.

1 minute ago, Raith_Raver said:

Aye, We didn't have a striker with either the guile or the muscle. Vaughan has the guile but I detect a lack of optimism about him now. Murray had Airdrie scoring freely (accepted,  in the division below) so I expect him to sort that out. However, I think getting defenders in will be his immediate priority.

Have you spoken to him? Can't say he's ever been anything other than optimistic any time I have. Quite astounding considering what he's went through. 

What we need is a striker who can actually play up top on his own and still score goals. That's what was missing most last season. Vaughan and gullan can't play that role but can compliment someone else in a two or just behind 1 up top. 

19 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Have you spoken to him? Can't say he's ever been anything other than optimistic any time I have. Quite astounding considering what he's went through. 

What we need is a striker who can actually play up top on his own and still score goals. That's what was missing most last season. Vaughan and gullan can't play that role but can compliment someone else in a two or just behind 1 up top. 

I think he means lack of optimism among us as supporters about how much we'll get from Vaughan next season.

24 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think he means lack of optimism among us as supporters about how much we'll get from Vaughan next season.

In that case, it's going to be what it's going to be with Vaughan. If he was fit like a normal player we'd have probably been in the premiership by now. He's here and when fit will most likely still be our best player. Hopefully Murray can keep him fit but that probably will mean he can't play as often as he'd like. 

1 hour ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

I was buzzing at his one non-negotiable, nobody will outwork us. I can imagine with his own player he’d create a strong team environment but can see if he inherits a bunch without his work ethic that fractures could appear.

I was thinking that too. Two aspects: I don't think we can fault the fitness under McGlynn so I don't think Murray's training regime would  faze the players too much. What was a concern was how often teams overpowered us with high press tactics, due in part to not getting stuck in, like the last game at East End for example - we definitely were "outworked" at times. So hopefully a thing of the past under Murray.

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

I was thinking that too. Two aspects: I don't think we can fault the fitness under McGlynn so I don't think Murray's training regime would  faze the players too much. What was a concern was how often teams overpowered us with high press tactics, due in part to not getting stuck in, like the last game at East End for example - we definitely were "outworked" at times. So hopefully a thing of the past under Murray.

Impossible to actually really implement that though there’s nothing you can really measure it against. Imagine the Raith squad will be at their peak fitness anyway with potentially some slight room for improvement. Games you were ‘out worked’ in surely just games you were not the better side in which then affects the mental aspect which then shows up and makes it look that way

Adrenaline, momentum and mindset are massive in games 

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

... Games you were ‘out worked’ in surely just games you were not the better side in which then affects the mental aspect which then shows up and makes it look that way

It's axiomatic that the "better" side would be tactically more astute.

It was well recognised by people who attend our matches that some teams used high pressing tactics against which we had trouble coping with. We can measure it to some extent by not being able to play our normal game, which is somewhat different to just being pish on the day.

Edited by Raith_Raver

Everyone is going on about Easton potentially coming in but I’ve seen on the Airdrie thread he’s in talks about a possible new contract and what they could offer, if we want him we can compete with Airdrie financially or better surely? 

6 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Everyone is going on about Easton potentially coming in but I’ve seen on the Airdrie thread he’s in talks about a possible new contract and what they could offer, if we want him we can compete with Airdrie financially or better surely? 

I’m not sure we will take many from airdrie tbh definitely not a mass exodus 

2 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I’m not sure we will take many from airdrie tbh definitely not a mass exodus 

I’m not saying mass exodus maybe 1 or possibly 2 depending if Brad Spencer signs a new contract (I think he will) as the 2 areas we need to really focus on is Defence and attack we only have 1 senior striker Vaughan and possibly need another 2.

2 cbs on contracts Lang injured, Bene out of contract, Frankie out of contract both not guaranteed to sign new deals, no RB we need 1 or maybe 2 of them  there’s more work to be done than what people think 

Honestly, not in for signing Poplatnik at all. Had about 4 good games. If he had them at the start of the season no one would want to keep him. Lovely, lovely guy, but we need to aim higher. 
Well the arsehole clearly left them for us! His falling over at any wee thing was embarrassing but despite that I was impressed with him anytime I saw him.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
On 25/05/2022 at 07:11, Hank Scorpio said:
Honestly, not in for signing Poplatnik at all. Had about 4 good games. If he had them at the start of the season no one would want to keep him. Lovely, lovely guy, but we need to aim higher. 

Well the arsehole clearly left them for us! His falling over at any wee thing was embarrassing but despite that I was impressed with him anytime I saw him.

Genuinely didn’t see Matej as a diver at all. Got a lot of attention when he was on form, so there was always contact around him, but would never have said he was prone to going down. Dario Zanatta far more likely to fall over. 

35 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I’m not saying mass exodus maybe 1 or possibly 2 depending if Brad Spencer signs a new contract (I think he will) as the 2 areas we need to really focus on is Defence and attack we only have 1 senior striker Vaughan and possibly need another 2.

2 cbs on contracts Lang injured, Bene out of contract, Frankie out of contract both not guaranteed to sign new deals, no RB we need 1 or maybe 2 of them  there’s more work to be done than what people think 

We have two "senior" strikers: Vaughan and Gullan.

Genuinely didn’t see Matej as a diver at all. Got a lot of attention when he was on form, so there was always contact around him, but would never have said he was prone to going down. Dario Zanatta far more likely to fall over. 

He was seriously unreal in the last game at Palmerston. There was more than one occasion he was on the floor and the ref told him to get up. Pretty impressed he never got booked for it mind you. I can't comment about him in general of course but he was bad against us.