Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sure this statement will blow up in my face, however I think we've dodged a bullet with Thomson. He seems to be whoring himself around everyone and trying to raise his profile.

A bit like McKinnon.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Honestly, not in for signing Poplatnik at all. Had about 4 good games. If he had them at the start of the season no one would want to keep him. Lovely, lovely guy, but we need to aim higher. 

Yeah, this. I was clamouring for him to get more game time earlier in the season because I wasn't convinced by Varian, but he didn't do anything with the minutes he was getting for a long time. 

I wouldn't be aghast if we signed him, I think he'd be a useful squad player, but we need to be looking elsewhere for a starting striker. 

12 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Yeah, this. I was clamouring for him to get more game time earlier in the season because I wasn't convinced by Varian, but he didn't do anything with the minutes he was getting for a long time. 

I wouldn't be aghast if we signed him, I think he'd be a useful squad player, but we need to be looking elsewhere for a starting striker. 

He wasn’t a particularly useful squad player. He had the greatest effect for us late in the season when he was starting games, where he managed to score in three or four consecutive games. He does miss some sitters but at least he’s in the right place to score.

Whether he stays or goes we’ll always have the cup final.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

"Kevin Thomson sensationally pulls out of Dundee Manager race".

Thomson stated "That's Kilmarnock, Raith and Dundee I've been interviewed for and I now believe that, having conducted 3 dummy runs, I'll be in a great position in the future when I am interviewed for a job that I actually want. In the meantime, my focus is 100% on Kelty".

39 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

He wasn’t a particularly useful squad player. He had the greatest effect for us late in the season when he was starting games, where he managed to score in three or four consecutive games. He does miss some sitters but at least he’s in the right place to score.

Whether he stays or goes we’ll always have the cup final.

Not sure if I’m letting his cup final performance cloud my judgement but I did feel like he didn’t get a fair shake in the first 2/3 of the season and looked useful when he actually got a run of games. Hold up play and chasing lost causes looked suited to our style and was decent in the air. I’d be comfortable enough if he returned.

Poplatnik managed a respectable return of goals and perhaps might've perhaps managed 13-15 over the season had he been given more opportunities earlier on. Obviously trying to extrapolate based on what he did get is guesswork. Key question is, who can we bring in that will score goals? Might Murray look at Gallagher, for example? Will he handle the step up? 

I'd be happy if we signed Poplatnik again, though we need at least one other striker in our ranks. Most likely someone in the Varian mould, but more knowledgeable as to where the goalposts can be found. 

Edited by Michael W

My feeling re Poplatnik is the same as I felt re Gullan in Jan.  Happy enough for him to supplement our strike force, not to complete it.

I got carried away a bit by his late season form, but that performance at home to Pars in Jan was grim  for example. Prompted the "our strikers dinnae score goals " statement which set the wheels in motion for you know what.

Edited by CALDERON

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

5 until loans are done.

I would say loans may take us past 8. We need to cover Langs injury until the New Year and although I'd love to see Vaughan injury free I fear he will break down again. My 8 does include Spencer staying on.

18 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I would say loans may take us past 8. We need to cover Langs injury until the New Year and although I'd love to see Vaughan injury free I fear he will break down again. My 8 does include Spencer staying on.

I think if Vaughan (god forbid) breaks down again, I really think he needs to hang up his boots. Bloody shame this has happened to such a talent of the game. 

We really need changes at CB as Berra wont figure every week and a new RB and LB to give us a much stronger defence , ideally Dick can cover till Lang is back unless he wants to move on, would've been good to have Lang and Frankie as the CB pairing, Bene been here a long time probably needs a change and to lower league, so thats 4 players already along with two front men that brings it to 6 at a minimum

I can see Spencer being the only out of contract player that Murray will look to keep. Ideally we would keep tumilty but I'm not overly bothered about the rest moving on. Decent players for this level but Murray does need the room to be able to put his own mark on the team. 

What I do wonder is if he will use the same scouting system that mcglynn used or if he will look to utilise something else. League 1 is a league he knows well so hopefully he can maybe tempt some of the better players to us such as ballantyne who has just left the mo for ft football. He could be the perfect replacement for tumilty. 

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

We really need changes at CB as Berra wont figure every week and a new RB and LB to give us a much stronger defence , ideally Dick can cover till Lang is back unless he wants to move on, would've been good to have Lang and Frankie as the CB pairing, Bene been here a long time probably needs a change and to lower league, so thats 4 players already along with two front men that brings it to 6 at a minimum

Dick has played both CB and L/RB before, so it’s possible he can be more utility than LB…I doubt Young can step up directly, and Masson isn’t ready (as far as we know), so we pretty much need a FB and two CB, if Bene leaves (and he should, he won’t work as a reserve/cover player). Add a reserve CB/LB, and that’s 4 on the back line alone.

Add two in the middle, hopefully one being Spencer, and we’re at 6. I could see a striker, maybe Pops?

Commented on the Pars thread that 24 hours later and they haven't as much as an interview. 

In contrast our coverage has been excellent. Seems they parachuted in a "celeb" which seems disrespectful while Rovers went with the Raith TV guys who yet again deliver. 

Really liked the press angle too, took the 1-1 interview a bit further so kudos to whoever made that decision.

Don't know what the new lad brings, I'm sure we will learn but like the gaffer he has some foundation to work with. 

There's just a feeling in our house that bridges are being built and we are meaningfully moving forward again. 

So we reckon Berra won't last a full season, a crocked Lang who isn't due back until about October and we've just offloaded McKay to QOS. I suspect Murray will probably try and keep Bene and Musonda at this rate. 

19 minutes ago, Raithie said:

So we reckon Berra won't last a full season, a crocked Lang who isn't due back until about October and we've just offloaded McKay to QOS. I suspect Murray will probably try and keep Bene and Musonda at this rate. 

McKay was out if contract and made the decision to leave himself, we'll just need to see who the new gaffer has his sights on, I'd like to see Musonda but feel he's away to another team 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Dick has played both CB and L/RB before, so it’s possible he can be more utility than LB…I doubt Young can step up directly, and Masson isn’t ready (as far as we know), so we pretty much need a FB and two CB, if Bene leaves (and he should, he won’t work as a reserve/cover player). Add a reserve CB/LB, and that’s 4 on the back line alone.

Add two in the middle, hopefully one being Spencer, and we’re at 6. I could see a striker, maybe Pops?

I thought dick looked better at cb than he did at lb tbh but I maybe saw him on a good day