Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

More like he's found out he's not getting it and is saving face, similar to him pretending he only interviewed for the Killie job to get a bit of experience of the process.

Hadn't realised he'd done that tbh. A daft thing to claim. 

2 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I heard that as well and doesn’t surprise me, you still think mcpake will be our boss bud? 

Murray is getting announced tomorrow if you believe the rumours apparently that he signed the contract this morning 

Iv said I wanted Murray since the start of the process and if it does turn out to be him I'm very happy with that appointment. Thomson has a bit of the unknown aspect that Ferguson had and I think was more of a gamble when what we need is someone who has made mistakes, (St mirren) learned from them and shown he's improved as a manager. 

Edited by grumswall

1 minute ago, Been going too long said:

I heard that as well and doesn’t surprise me, you still think mcpake will be our boss bud? 

He's been interviewed mate, I work with a relative of Murray who knows the square root of zero about football (same as me I suppose) and she was talking about Ian taking a new job this morning.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin Nicol in the backroom staff either. 

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I don’t really want Murray. He’s got Airdrie in and around the playoffs but hasn’t been able to go that one step further. Most people who wanted Mcglynn gone were critical that he had perhaps taken us as far as he could. I don’t see what Murray has done that would make people think he could have us punching above our weight when he couldn’t do the same at Airdrie?

I've always found it hard to judge Murray. Bizarrely, despite being with us for almost 4 years he has only had 1 full season with us. He arrived midway through his first season, and then had 2 shortened Covid season. And then this season. The first season he was coaching a squad that wasn't his, and in the 2 Covid seasons we had a ridiculous Director of Football arrangement where he was being given a random assortment of players like loanees from Dnipro and French youth teams, alongside duds like Ally Roy and the McKay brothers. The football wasn't great and the results very mixed but it was always hard to say that was down to him given the circumstances. This has been the first season where he's had 36 games and been able to recruit his own squad and over the season has done extremely well to finish ahead of Falkirk and QP who have bigger budgets, and run Cove very close.

My concern if I was a Raith fan is that his record in the big games (specifically results versus eventually league winner, and play-off games) is pretty awful. Even in the cups, aside from one win against Motherwell in the league cup we've not done anything under him. Obviously you'd expect worse results against better teams but he didn't get a single win against Raith, Partick and Cove in the last 3 years. He navigated 2 play-off semi finals by the skin of his teeth last year and this year, but lost the finals.

Overall he should be a good appointment, any manager who has been managing for almost a decade who doesn't have flaws or bad spells isn't going to be in the Scottish Championship or League 1, so you're always going to have risk attached to it. I'd certainly be going for him over Thomson who has 1 year of managing a Championship/League 1 ability squad in League 2, as others have said the skill set required for that (which isn't much) has no relation to the task at Raith. I hope he does well and will be interested to see how he does.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Guest Ecosse83

Good appointment for you lot of Murray comes in, Airdrie played some good stuff against us under him. 

Thanks for taking him out of league 1 😎

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

He's been interviewed mate, I work with a relative of Murray who knows the square root of zero about football (same as me I suppose) and she was talking about Ian taking a new job this morning.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin Nicol in the backroom staff either. 

Cheers mate either way we were getting an ex hibee 😂😂 makes a change from the maroon, will be delighted if he is the new boss 

1 minute ago, Been going too long said:

Cheers mate either way we were getting an ex hibee 😂😂 makes a change from the maroon, will be delighted if he is the new boss 

I can go back to liking Raith, it's all gid * ;)

*not really I've a soft spot for you boys because I know LV.

Edited by Hoose Rice

If it’s Murray I’ll be happy enough with that, there was a lot worse appointments out there and Murray has done well with Airdrie and Dumbarton.  Failed with St Mirren but let’s be honest every manager we get will have negatives or be completely untested. Thomson was an interesting one but as possibly more risky as his only experience is Kelty with a huge cash advantage.  Interesting to see if he gets the Dundee job. 

6 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

I can go back to liking Raith, it's all gid * ;)

*not really I've a soft spot for you boys because I know LV.

And we’ve got a soft spot for LV 😁 even if we don’t get to see him play as often as we’d all like 😢. Let’s hope he gets a bit of luck next season. 

Just now, San Starko Rover said:

And we’ve got a soft spot for LV 😁 even if we don’t get to see him play as often as we’d all like 😢. Let’s hope he gets a bit of luck next season. 

If ever a lad deserves it, it's Lewis. 

2 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

If ever a lad deserves it, it's Lewis. 

Were you previously Bambino on here? If so welcome back, didn't realise you were posting again. Hope things are good at your end.

5 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Were you previously Bambino on here? If so welcome back, didn't realise you were posting again. Hope things are good at your end.

I've not posted on here before Raithie, no.  Lewis is a big hibee so there's probably a good amount of people that know him from Edinburgh :)