Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Murray’s taken Airdrie to 5th, 3rd, 2nd and 2nd (with a much improved points per game). That’s not just stability, that’s steadily improving a team year on year while dealing with a director of football signings guys he clearly didn’t want and rebuilding a team every season. If he managed similar finished with Raith I reckon your fans would be pretty happy. He was a disaster at St. Mirren but he’s been the best Airdrie manager for almost two decades (that perhaps says more about how bad we’ve been!) and the best Dumbarton manager for possibly even longer, there’s not many managers available with that track record.

I don’t really know why I’m arguing his case here, I want him to stay at Airdrie, but he’s not just a safe pair of hands to keep things ticking over. Is he going to come in and win the league straight away? Probably not, but he’s proven in two jobs that he can have his teams punching above their weight.

28 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I don’t really know why I’m arguing his case here, I want him to stay at Airdrie, but he’s not just a safe pair of hands to keep things ticking over. Is he going to come in and win the league straight away? Probably not, but he’s proven in two jobs that he can have his teams punching above their weight.

This sums it up for me. He's shown that there is substance - he can get more out of players and get them punching above their weight. 

Thomson by comparison has had a very easy ride. He's had no budget constraints and was able to operate the best side in the league by a distance, with the opposition comprehensively outgunned financially. He is not going to get that here: he'll be competing (and likely losing) for players that we'd like to bring into the club and he will also be somewhat limited in terms of players he can sign, as the bulk of the squad is already signed up. I think Murray might be better suited that that sort of set-up. 

Edited by Michael W

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This sums it up for me. He's shown that there is substance - he can get more out of players and get them punching above their weight. 

Thomson by comparison has had a very easy ride. He's had no budget constraints and was able to operate the best side in the league by a distance, with the opposition comprehensively outgunned financially. He is not going to get that here: he'll be competing (and likely losing) for players that we'd like to bring into the club and be will also be somewhat limited in terms of players he can sign, as the bulk of the squad is already signed up. I think Murray might be better suited that that sort of set-up. 

That’s interesting, as that’s where Murray struggled with us. When he first came in the team were in terrible form, the players seemed to lose something after that 4-3 game and we were a shambles defensively. Murray made us very organised and hard to beat but the football was dreadful. It was very much five at the back and we lost a ridiculous number of home games 1-0.

Things improved in the following two seasons but again, our director of football was clearly signing players Murray didn’t trust which led to him changing the team a lot and shoehorning the guys he did trust in out of position. Last season was really poor for the first half, I think we were sitting 7th at one point after losing out first three games after the restart but bringing in Kyle Turner revitalised the team and Murray really turned things around after that. This season was the first time he’s fully built his own team and it shows. He clearly trusts the players and allows them to have a lot of freedom in how we play.

Admittedly, Raith’s players will be a lot better than the jobbers he was lumbered with when he joined Airdrie and it would probably be less of an issue but it’s definitely something to be aware of.

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Thomson has seen the budget and laughed, hasn't he?

More like he's found out he's not getting it and is saving face, similar to him pretending he only interviewed for the Killie job to get a bit of experience of the process.

Just now, Michael W said:

Thomson has seen the budget and laughed, hasn't he?

Probably. He's had a sheltered start to his career that is a million miles away from the real world of managing a mid table championship team.

I'm glad we've not gone and pushed the boat out in order to get him to join us, for me he's far too much of a risk to warrant that.

If Murray has seen what we have to offer and is happy with it then that's good enough for me.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

More like he's found out he's not getting it and is saving face, similar to him pretending he only interviewed for the Killie job to get a bit of experience of the process.

Or he's had another job offer... the prospect of which doesn't excite me.

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Or he's had another job offer... the prospect of which doesn't excite me.

Aye, he'll either fancy his chances at getting the Dundee gig which is worth dingying Raith for the opportunity, and worst comes to worst he's got the likely backup of the Pars job.

55 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Murray’s taken Airdrie to 5th, 3rd, 2nd and 2nd (with a much improved points per game). That’s not just stability, that’s steadily improving a team year on year while dealing with a director of football signings guys he clearly didn’t want and rebuilding a team every season. If he managed similar finished with Raith I reckon your fans would be pretty happy. He was a disaster at St. Mirren but he’s been the best Airdrie manager for almost two decades (that perhaps says more about how bad we’ve been!) and the best Dumbarton manager for possibly even longer, there’s not many managers available with that track record.

I would be delighted if he came to us mate, no convincing needed on my part and totally understand why you want to keep him, he will definitely stay longer with us than Thomson ever would 🤞🏻 he comes