Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I think there's a frighteningly similar comparison between McPake and Barry Smith.

Both got Dundee promoted in very fortuitous circumstances (Smith as a result of Rangers' demise and McPake as the result of an utterly obscene offside decision in the playoff semi), then both found to be hopelessly out of their depth in the Premier.

Smith gradually dropped down the levels and achieved nothing anywhere he went, and I see McPake being exactly the same.

I think you may be right bud 

45 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I think you may be right bud 

To be fair, Smith's reputation was more based on how he managed to keep Dundee uo with the 25 point deduction in that 10/11 season. 

Strangley though, watching him as Rovers manager you didn't get the impression that there was a guy who could instill a siege mentality, or create a tightly organised football unit.

Always thought Smith was shafted with us whilst he was still learning due to the Club 12 season. As many long time posters know, I was convinced that he'd have a solid career in management - which obviously hasn't been the case! I do see where a lot of the parallels between Smith & McPake come from though. They are very, very different characters though and I think McPake is the type that can create a huge siege mentality and get players going for him which is absolutely his main strength. He's also got a decent contact list!

Anything else resembling a football manager though? He was significantly lacking when it came to tactics, to addressing issues within the squad and to forward planning. I could be wrong as I was with Smith, but I don't think McPake would do a good job for you lads or anyone at this level really.

Then again, I thought Billy Dodds would be an utter disaster at Inverness & Smith a success with you guys so what do I know.

I know we still have a few days until all applications are to be in, but it is very quiet. Normally the press will give a few names that have applied or shown an interest. 

Edited by raith1974
Error

1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

I know we still have a few days until all applications are to be in, but it is very quiet. Normally the press will give a few names that have applied or shown an interest. 

I dont suppose there are that many possible candidates that haven't already been brought up. 

Hell, maybe none of those mentioned want it or applied for it. Could be a right fucking laugh.

8 minutes ago, renton said:

I dont suppose there are that many possible candidates that haven't already been brought up. 

Hell, maybe none of those mentioned want it or applied for it. Could be a right fucking laugh.

I think there is a good chance of this. Especially the likes of Thomson and Brown, who I think will be horrified when they realise the budget they'll be given. 

It will be McPake or Lennon. I've pretty much accepted that now. 

1 minute ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Is anyone else worried about who we might get in? As we know this board basically doesn’t care and this could go totally tits up 

I think pretty much everyone is worried about it because we know there is an extremely high likelihood that the board mess this up. 

What exactly has McPake accomplished at Dundee that makes him a candidate? The main difference between McGlynns Rovers and McPake Dundee was ultimately 2 awful refereeing decisions against Rovers and two passes of quality from fat Charlie. OK so he managed to guide Dee past a shit Killie team but can anyone say that over the course of last season or most of this that he looks like a tactical genius? 

What's the betting he gets the gig? 

If it’s Scott brown, he needs an experienced assistant to guide him along because it’s risky having a full on inexperienced coaching staff/management team who will probably be running the football club im worried in that aspect 

12 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

What exactly has McPake accomplished at Dundee that makes him a candidate? The main difference between McGlynns Rovers and McPake Dundee was ultimately 2 awful refereeing decisions against Rovers and two passes of quality from fat Charlie. OK so he managed to guide Dee past a shit Killie team but can anyone say that over the course of last season or most of this that he looks like a tactical genius? 

What's the betting he gets the gig? 

He got a team promoted from this league. That's all he's achieved, which is weirdly more than mcglynn has ever managed. I still 100% do not want him as our next manager though. 

Fair chance the BoD will review the applicants who are willing to work with the budget they have set and decide to punt it to Sim to either kick in more money or we have to pick X. I expect we’d then pick X.

I joined the K107 twitter space last week and Barry Smith's departure was mentioned (perhaps by @Broken Algorithms?). 

Smith was wanting to bring in a player, only to be told no. Smith resigned with McGlynn then coming in and bringing in a number of players as well. Perhaps we are seeing circumstances repeating themselves here, i.e. we backed you and that's your lots; take it or leave it. Perhaps a new manager will be given a better offering? 

Maybe I'm clutching straws. 

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I joined the K107 twitter space last week and Barry Smith's departure was mentioned (perhaps by @Broken Algorithms?). 

Smith was wanting to bring in a player, only to be told no. Smith resigned with McGlynn then coming in and bringing in a number of players as well. Perhaps we are seeing circumstances repeating themselves here, i.e. we backed you and that's your lots; take it or leave it. Perhaps a new manager will be given a better offering? 

You could well be right there, like you said it has happened to smith and they probably thought we could do the same to McGlynn and he might accept obviously he never, and I think the new gaffer might get a better budget than what was rumoured McGlynn was offered 

18 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Smith was told there was a sum of money available funded by the various supporters groups, later someone on the board told him there wasn't enough money despite the original sum being there to spend.

39 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Aye, I mentioned it. The most important thing is we take the time and don't rush in to any decision. Most players will be away on their summer break at the moment. We can wait until the end of the week, see who has sent in their CV, and work from there. My fear is that the talk from the board of what they want is nowhere near the reality. We won't be helped by losing derbies next season, but even then if the club are going to come out and claim "we're in a better situation sponsorship wise" then surely that translates on to the pitch. It's time for the boardroom to decide whether they want for us to progress on the pitch or whether they're more interested in being the best stadium managers in Scotland. 

Aye, I mentioned it. The most important thing is we take the time and don't rush in to any decision. Most players will be away on their summer break at the moment. We can wait until the end of the week, see who has sent in their CV, and work from there. My fear is that the talk from the board of what they want is nowhere near the reality. We won't be helped by losing derbies next season, but even then if the club are going to come out and claim "we're in a better situation sponsorship wise" then surely that translates on to the pitch. It's time for the boardroom to decide whether they want for us to progress on the pitch or whether they're more interested in being the best stadium managers in Scotland. 
But isn't the staduim nothing to do with the playing budget according to Sim. Oh surprise surprise, a change of mind.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Do we have any concerns about the Pars job possibly opening while we are seeking a new manager? Not sure it’s actually a more attractive position, but the budget might be higher.