Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But you,d have been happy if McGlynn had stayed?

Yes.
I understand the hypocrisy in that, but following the terrible decisions made in January (in which McGlynn played a part) we definitely should be making sure that we don’t hire a manager whose role-model credentials could be brought into question.

21 hours ago, stevoraith said:

That’s what annoys me most- we had a very talented manager who, before the last 3 months happened, was never ever going to leave us searching for the next rung on his way up the ladder.

Continuity, stability and a long term strategy are very undervalued attributes in football managers at this level.

But I agree, it’s highly unlikely that we find another older guy who will do the same job as McGlynn, so why not give a young and hungry guy the chance? The last time we did that was with McKinnon and that went ok. If we could persuade a young guy to buy into a plan that gets us both to the Premier together in the next 5 years or so that would be the ultimate outcome.

I’d rather we tried and failed with Thomson/Naismith/Berra than plucked someone who’s tried and failed elsewhere off the merry go round.

No doubt John McGlynn was a good coach and manager at The club yet he failed to get them to the premiership despite his great brand of football. 

In comparison to Thomson and McPake, he has more experience, that’s a given but he’s not had much success -

Hear me out - Won 2nd division (just) which included without showing lack of respect - Brechin, Peterhead, East Fife and Peterhead  

Won League 1 - Again not a strong league like it was this season but he got the job done.   

A fife Cup and a Challenge cup so all in all he was a decent enough manager but not as great as some all feel. This is just my thoughts on John.

Kevin Thomson - Yeah first year, huge budget but that carries its own weight and expectation and he won it easy. Top player and decent career, young and hungry  - undoubtedly will win league 2 manager of the season and deserves it.

James McPake - Got Dundee out of the Championship something Ian McCall hasn’t been able to do at any club and he comes under “experienced” . Reportedly had a high budget(yet Dundee posted a profit) but also had teams like Dun Utd and Hearts to deal with then a play off final against Kilmarnock(Alan Stubbs or Mark Warburton couldn’t get up via play Off’s) maybe shown he wasn’t ready for the premiership but who knows what would have happened had they stuck with him. - Won championship manager of the season ahead of Neilson and McGlynn (personally John should have got it for me)

Both these have a heavy focus on youth development, something we need, it’s time to produce our own players.   

I would like to see one of these two aS long as they were given time to build, they played together at a few clubs so would they consider a joint managerial role? Just a thought  

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
23 hours ago, GazH6 said:
He’s young, he had the big budget which brings it’s own pressure, got the job done. We need more young managers.  

Who would you prefer just out of interest? Gordon Dalziel? 

I couldn't care who Raith hire. I'm just saying that Thomson hasn't done anything of note yet so I wouldn't be overly excited as a Raith fan if he was your man.

He’s won a championship. 

Has McPake or Ian Murray done anything of note? I’m 

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
23 hours ago, GazH6 said:
He’s young, he had the big budget which brings it’s own pressure, got the job done. We need more young managers.  

Who would you prefer just out of interest? Gordon Dalziel? 

I couldn't care who Raith hire. I'm just saying that Thomson hasn't done anything of note yet so I wouldn't be overly excited as a Raith fan if he was your man.

He’s won a championship. 

Has McPake or Ian Murray done anything of note? I’m 
He's won a championship in a shite division with a budget that dwarfed every other side and players playing at least a division below their capabilities. He's done nothing of note so far.

If what he's done has impressed you then surely Rowan Alexander is in the running for you?

There's an article think it's on the other thread about Scott Brown wanting Whittaker as his assistant. For me a first time manager needs to have an experienced assistant. By all means have Whittaker on your staff but management is a minefield and there will be all kinds of stuff you won't even have considered. Especially on a tight budget with an interesting boardroom to put it mildly. 

1 hour ago, GazH6 said:

No doubt John McGlynn was a good coach and manager at The club yet he failed to get them to the premiership despite his great brand of football. 

In comparison to Thomson and McPake, he has more experience, that’s a given but he’s not had much success -

Hear me out - Won 2nd division (just) which included without showing lack of respect - Brechin, Peterhead, East Fife and Peterhead  

Won League 1 - Again not a strong league like it was this season but he got the job done.   

A fife Cup and a Challenge cup so all in all he was a decent enough manager but not as great as some all feel. This is just my thoughts on John.

Kevin Thomson - Yeah first year, huge budget but that carries its own weight and expectation and he won it easy. Top player and decent career, young and hungry  - undoubtedly will win league 2 manager of the season and deserves it.

James McPake - Got Dundee out of the Championship something Ian McCall hasn’t been able to do at any club and he comes under “experienced” . Reportedly had a high budget(yet Dundee posted a profit) but also had teams like Dun Utd and Hearts to deal with then a play off final against Kilmarnock(Alan Stubbs or Mark Warburton couldn’t get up via play Off’s) maybe shown he wasn’t ready for the premiership but who knows what would have happened had they stuck with him. - Won championship manager of the season ahead of Neilson and McGlynn (personally John should have got it for me)

Both these have a heavy focus on youth development, something we need, it’s time to produce our own players.   

I would like to see one of these two aS long as they were given time to build, they played together at a few clubs so would they consider a joint managerial role? Just a thought  

You make a few good points in there mate and maybe mcpake might not be the car crash like Gary Locke, I think it’s far too soon for brown, barely coached if we got Thomson could see him going there to cut his teeth

55 minutes ago, pub car king said:

There's an article think it's on the other thread about Scott Brown wanting Whittaker as his assistant. For me a first time manager needs to have an experienced assistant. By all means have Whittaker on your staff but management is a minefield and there will be all kinds of stuff you won't even have considered. Especially on a tight budget with an interesting boardroom to put it mildly. 

Definitely that’s my thoughts with him, he is used to the big time with Celtic and we certainly aren’t smalltime but a drop in the ocean compared to Celtic 

7 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Definitely that’s my thoughts with him, he is used to the big time with Celtic and we certainly aren’t smalltime but a drop in the ocean compared to Celtic 

Being used to the big time with The Old Firm counts for nothing when you become a manager. What does count is work experience, and Brown has none.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

He's won a championship in a shite division with a budget that dwarfed every other side and players playing at least a division below their capabilities. He's done nothing of note so far.

If what he's done has impressed you then surely Rowan Alexander is in the running for you?

Yup, both Thomson and Alexander were both Cheque Book managers. As in the money alone would’ve won any league. We’re the exact opposite, that requires a different kind of thinking. I don’t think Thomson, Alexander, McPake have that level of thinking with a team that haven’t got that cash to fix a problem. 

25 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I'm growing on the Kevin Thomson idea I have to admit.

Why, we don’t have a blank cheque book. What’s the rationale behind your thinking??

40 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Being used to the big time with The Old Firm counts for nothing when you become a manager. What does count is work experience, and Brown has none.

Jimmy Nicholl didn't have any work experience when he came to us but he worked out pretty well. 

Admittedly he had Harvey alongside him.