Players ruined by a manager/club

There's a few players dotted about with these sort of "sliding doors" moments, where you think their career could've far better if it had gone through.
We had Rocco Quinn on loan in 07/08 from Celtic. Superb for us and was keen to join, but Celtic demanded 6 figures so it never happened.
We signed Chris Millar, who ended up making hundreds of appearances for us, has a Scottish Cup medal, and played in multiple European games.
Rocco Quinn was released by Celtic 6 months after his move to us fell through and spent his career dotting around middling Scottish sides achieving little before retiring at 30.
You wonder how their respective careers would've gone if he'd joined us when he had the chance.

I never realised he’d retired so early. Was an absolute shame how it spanned out for him.

18 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Alan Trouten was brilliant for every club he played for apart from Ayr United. 

I think we played him in the wrong position constantly.

I could of written this exact post, swapping Ayr United for Clyde. 

LWB under Bomber Brown ffs :lol: 

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Dunno, I think Joe Cole had a pretty good career.  I'd say being a major part of a team winning 3 Pl titles is decent. There's 1000s of PL players who never came close to what he achieved in his career.

I think injuries curtailed his career a bit too, was very good for England I thought considering many supposed superstars were underwhelming during that era.

Edited by gannonball

On 02/05/2022 at 19:48, Thistle_do_nicely said:

idk how good he really was/could have been but Alan Gow comes to mind, went from Falkirk to Rangers and pretty much stalled from then on. I think he was at Rangers (Reserves) til he was 23/24 and by that point the damage was done.

Given he joined us when he was 24, I'd say this was made up pish.

Edited by Super_A

5 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Mourinho has clearly ruined Rashford and Martial.

Three years of being played as an auxiliary wingback and told how shite you are will do that to a young striker.

Two inflated egos with an arrogant sense of entitlement that is far greater than their talents.

Rashford has been distracted by politics and the fawning media attention. Martial, like Rashford, thinks that he's far better than he is.

They have much to learn from Christiano Ronaldo's professionalism, fitness and commitment. 

I think Matas time at the top was coming to an end anyway, there is a reason Chelsea sold him. But he also joined a club who didn't really need him, and had better players in his position. Similar story with Cavani who was hardly needed once Ronaldo joined.

Agreed that Joe Cole is really from the wrong era, but probably not the right personality for the top level anyway. His career was pretty much done by his late 20s.

Coutinho, Griezmann and Dembele have all suffered badly moving to a spiralling Barcelona (although Coutinho career was going no where really until Liverpool rescued him).

Hazard going to Real has really ended his career as a top player, doesn't have the mentality for the very highest level - was better staying at a club like Chelsea who would indulge him.

Appreciate its the opposite of the thread purpose, but Lingards fantastic (and brief) loan spell under Moyes at West Ham saved his career. Without that I'm not even sure he'd get an EPL gig, probably not at a starter if he did. As it is he will name his price to the likes of Newcastle or West Ham. I hope he gave Moyes a thank you card.

Edited by Satoshi

Kezman, Mutu, Torres, Shevchenko, Werner and Lukaku at Chelsea all spring to mind. They seem to have a real knack of signing top strikers and making them shite. 

Derek Riordan at Celtic, Garry O’Connor at anywhere but Hibs are another two.

Stevie May at Sheffield Wednesday. Not world class but had a good scoring record most seasons prior to signing for them and hasn’t done much since.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

10 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Stevie May at Sheffield Wednesday. Not world class but had a good scoring record most seasons prior to signing for them and hasn’t done much since.

His goal record there was actually decent tbf, they just had a clownshoe manager. His knee imploding while at Preston is what effectively ended his career.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

His goal record there was actually decent tbf, they just had a clownshoe manager. His knee imploding while at Preston is what effectively ended his career.

Googled it there, 39 apps and 7 goals according to Wikipedia. Half decent but compared to what he did at his previous clubs it’s not great. Saying that the English championship is a wee bit better than league 2 with Alloa!

1 minute ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Googled it there, 39 apps and 7 goals according to Wikipedia. Half decent but compared to what he did at his previous clubs it’s not great. Saying that the English championship is a wee bit better than league 2 with Alloa!

They had some big huddy (Nuhiu?) that was put up front and May was told to just float around behind him, whereas his game with us was being the one making runs in behind. It was a decent goal tally for a young striker in that league with a new role.

They changed manager, who wanted to bring Portuguese players in, and May was off to Preston as he was an easy sale as there was still interest in him.

Was just about to get his chance in a Preston side who'd had a settled line up when his knee exploded. Lost some agility, pace, power, and confidence in himself, and has looked a shadow of what he was since.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They had some big huddy (Nuhiu?) that was put up front and May was told to just float around behind him, whereas his game with us was being the one making runs in behind. It was a decent goal tally for a young striker in that league with a new role.

They changed manager, who wanted to bring Portuguese players in, and May was off to Preston as he was an easy sale as there was still interest in him.

Was just about to get his chance in a Preston side who'd had a settled line up when his knee exploded. Lost some agility, pace, power, and confidence in himself, and has looked a shadow of what he was since.

I remember that big guy Nuhiu. A big carthorse. Think he played for Kosovo, too.

Its a shame it didn’t work out for May down south. He was really impressive anytime I watched him prior to that move. 

I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but on one of the Si Ferry podcasts I remember a player saying Maurice Malpas (as manager) deliberately tried to do him in - through aggravating an injury / other unspecified things.

When most people don't like their manager they can quit, harder for contracted footballers if they end up with someone who really doesn't like them. Football managers, certainly in the past, were known to generally to be nasty weirdos (especially the successful ones).

Before the bosman, not good news to be on the wrong side of Jim McLean, Alex Ferguson or big Ron. In the modern game the top players will always protected, but throughout the world and throughout the leagues I'm sure plenty of tyrannical, controlling managers are still making players life difficult and harming their short careers.

59 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Kezman, Mutu, Torres, Shevchenko, Werner and Lukaku at Chelsea all spring to mind. They seem to have a real knack of signing top strikers and making them shite. 

Derek Riordan at Celtic, Garry O’Connor at anywhere but Hibs are another two.

Riordan and O'Connor were ruined by their dedication to being cokehead/drunken bams rather than any manager or club.

59 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Its a shame it didn’t work out for May down south. He was really impressive anytime I watched him prior to that move. 

He was probably never quick or strong enough to do anything spectacular down there tbh, but definitely shouldve had a better career than he had.

McInnes and Davidson have both wasted him too.

28 minutes ago, velo army said:

Riordan and O'Connor were ruined by their dedication to being cokehead/drunken bams rather than any manager or club.

Strachan used to annoy the shit out of me for not playing him more but Ultimately Strachan was proven right as Riordan did next to nothing with his career after despite being a good age when he left Celtic when you look at his talent.

Scott Allan was arguably another as much as it was a GIRUY to Sevco signing him we put him on loan to Rotherham and he was dropped for lack of professionalism. He was never fit enough to be anywhere near the Celtic team. Part of that could have been down to not being diagnosed yet though..

Edited by gannonball

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Strachan used to annoy the shit out of me for not playing him more but Ultimately Strachan was proven right as Riordan did next to nothing with his career after despite being a good age when he left Celtic when you look at his talent.

Scott Allan was arguably another as much as it was a GIRUY to Sevco signing him we put him on loan to Rotherham and he was dropped for lack of professionalism. He was never fit enough to be anywhere near the Celtic team. Part of that could have been down to not being diagnosed yet though..

Aye I used to scratch my head at that too. Strachan's intransigence would have been a factor as well as Deek's unprofessionalism.

On 06/05/2022 at 08:14, Satoshi said:

I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but on one of the Si Ferry podcasts I remember a player saying Maurice Malpas (as manager) deliberately tried to do him in - through aggravating an injury / other unspecified things.

When most people don't like their manager they can quit, harder for contracted footballers if they end up with someone who really doesn't like them. Football managers, certainly in the past, were known to generally to be nasty weirdos (especially the successful ones).

Before the bosman, not good news to be on the wrong side of Jim McLean, Alex Ferguson or big Ron. In the modern game the top players will always protected, but throughout the world and throughout the leagues I'm sure plenty of tyrannical, controlling managers are still making players life difficult and harming their short careers.

Was James Mcpake if I remember correctly, sure he had some bother with Malpas when he was coming back from an injury