Tribute Bands

scottsdad

Who's good? Who's terrible? 

I took my son to see the Illegal Eagles last night and they were good. A lot of big hits and some more obscure ones. I saw the real ones in 2001 and the set list was largely similar. 

The best I have seen is the Australian Pink Floyd Show. Saw them play the McBob at Stirling, and Falkirk Town Hall about 20 years ago. Nowadays they play bigger venues. 

On the not so good side, MacFloyd played the Leisure Bowl in Alloa and I really didn't get into them at all. 

So...what are your own experiences?

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Who's good? Who's terrible? 

I took my son to see the Illegal Eagles last night and they were good. A lot of big hits and some more obscure ones. I saw the real ones in 2001 and the set list was largely similar. 

The best I have seen is the Australian Pink Floyd Show. Saw them play the McBob at Stirling, and Falkirk Town Hall about 20 years ago. Nowadays they play bigger venues. 

On the not so good side, MacFloyd played the Leisure Bowl in Alloa and I really didn't get into them at all. 

So...what are your own experiences?

Good:

The Musical Box

Australian Pink Floyd

StillMarillion

The Rangers (close your eyes and you'd think you were in pre-2012 times).

Bad:

Some David Bowie tribute that played Troon a couple of years ago.

The Bootleg Beatles are the tribute band by which all others shall be compared, imo. 

I went to see the EXTC band a few months ago - at least they have XTC's original drummer Terry Chambers playing, and they claim not to be a tribute - it was just great to hear that wonderful set live for once.

A lot of folk hate tributes, but they're probably here to stay, given that every c**t is dying. 

Just on Saturday there at the Paisley food & drink festival I saw the Spiders On Mars and thought they were a decent Bowie tribute, although the fact I'd spent some time in the beer tent probably helped. 

One that sticks in my mind was a few years ago in the stage version of Backbeat at the Citizens. The actors were also musicians and played live. By the end of the show I felt like I'd seen The Beatles at the Kaiserkeller.

I saw the Aussie Floyd in the Arches back in the 90s, the last time they were in Glasgow I noticed was at the Hydro!

In a similar vein I'm going to see Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets at the Usher Hall this week, although I'm not sure that qualifies as a tribute act if one of the original band is present?

I saw a good Who tribute band in the late 90s but i don't think they're still going and i can't remember what they were called. 

Also a Steps tribute band called "step ahead", which i remember being at Charlies, but that can't be right. 

It's anecdotes like this that make me think i've arrived at middle age. 

5 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I went to see the EXTC band a few months ago - at least they have XTC's original drummer Terry Chambers playing, and they claim not to be a tribute - it was just great to hear that wonderful set live for once.

XTC are one of the bands I'd love to have seen in concert. 

I was annoyed to discover about this gig after the event, but then I noticed that it was while I had Covid which would've been even more annoying. 

I saw Rumours of Fleetwood Mac last night and that was great.  MacFloyd were on the night before but I decided not yo go.  Springsteen Sessions is on this Friday.  Probably go to that.

Three cases where the original band was never likely to play Inverness.

Elio Pace (Billy Joel tribute) was brilliant.  Also Clarence Clearwater Revisited.  Also a Beatles tribute band.  Also Marc Bolan tribute band.

Enjoyable night listening to lots of songs I know and like.

Maybe there are too many AC/DC bands.   I was bored silly at a Led Zeppelin tribute act.  Guess I didn't really the original that much.

27 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I saw Rumours of Fleetwood Mac last night and that was great.  MacFloyd were on the night before but I decided not yo go.  Springsteen Sessions is on this Friday.  Probably go to that.

Three cases where the original band was never likely to play Inverness.

Elio Pace (Billy Joel tribute) was brilliant.  Also Clarence Clearwater Revisited.  Also a Beatles tribute band.  Also Marc Bolan tribute band.

Enjoyable night listening to lots of songs I know and like.

Maybe there are too many AC/DC bands.   I was bored silly at a Led Zeppelin tribute act.  Guess I didn't really the original that much.

Been looking for a good Fleetwood Mac band - my son is a big fan.  Sounds like these are good. 

35 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Been looking for a good Fleetwood Mac band - my son is a big fan.  Sounds like these are good. 

They are playing in Glasgow on Tuesday, Edinburgh on Thursday (Usher Hall), Dundee on Friday (Caird Hall) and Aberdeen on Saturday (Music Hall).

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I saw a good Who tribute band in the late 90s but i don't think they're still going and i can't remember what they were called. 

The Maximum Who?

Saw them in Killie and they were pretty good IIRC, the drummer did an excellent Keith Moon anyway.

Again not sure if it counts as a tribute but I'm taking the wife and weans to see the virtual ABBA show in London this summer.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what that's like as it could become a common experience in years to come...

I am talentless but always thought it would be good to form a Belle and Sebastian tribute act and call it Betty and Steve. You could appear at quiche fests, sing all their songs in a working class Glasgow accent and appeal to those who are not hipsters, students, or Thistle fans. Then all drink Merlot after.

I waaant the world tae stoap........pure so I do.

Feel free to steal.

I'm not all that much of an Elvis fan (probably because of impersonators), but Chris Connor's Elvis show is one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen. If it wasn't for the whole deid thing I could easily have been convinced.

I did see Bjorn Again at a festival once about 30 years ago and they were good fun. Now I live upstairs from the No. 57 Bar in Dundee where every Saturday night a bunch of old c***s whoop their way through another bunch of old c***s destroying the oldies. Currently I am enduring "Come Up And See Me(Make Me Smile)". They should be taken out and shot. On second thoughts shootings too good for them. Time to dig out The Fall albums. Has there ever been a Fall tribute band?