Playoff Semi Final - Mo v Diamonds

8 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

The Mo always seem to come up with different ways of fkkn up playoffs but today was spectacular. Cruising it at half time .. at 3-1 we should’ve seen it out but gave away a pathetic gift straight away. From then on there was only one winner and Airdrie deserved to win overall. We bottled it. SP made some bad decisions today .. which is not like him. He got overly defensive and it cost us. Airdrie deserve to go up but I have feeling that QP will bore their way to the Championship. If it happens I’ll piss myself laughing at the fat and very angry arseholes sitting very close to our support. They really need to eat some salad.😂😂

Unusually I will bite. Could easily comment on some of your fans antics negatively as I sat close to you lot yesterday but all I saw was fans enjoying a game that means a lot to them. Actually enjoyed watching the passion from the boy in the Montrose top with the flag but he will be feeling that this morning. Then the auld boy going onto the park to kick the ball at us raging. No hate there either as that must have been a sore one for you lot yesterday and we have had plenty play off misery of our own to know it hurts. 

For the most part I like Montrose as they aren’t swamped by arsehole fans like a lot of other teams and I genuinely hope yous continue to thrive. It’s nice to see passion and some atmosphere at our level at games. 

You though I am glad you were there and I hope every goal hurt that wee bit more than the last. That game came with a buzz like no other but reading comments from arseholes like you makes it feel that wee bit better still. 

🎵  Airdrie Get Battered Everywhere They Go 🎵

21 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

That was some watch! Fair play to Murray for just throwing absolutely everything at it when the tie looked gone and it paying off. Was that 5 strikers plus Easton and Frizzell all on at the same time?

Fancy the momentum from that comeback will get Airdrie over the line and promoted.

13 minutes ago, CM. said:

That was some watch! Fair play to Murray for just throwing absolutely everything at it when the tie looked gone and it paying off. Was that 5 strikers plus Easton and Frizzell all on at the same time?

Fancy the momentum from that comeback will get Airdrie over the line and promoted.

Yeah five forwards. Half time onwards was pretty much a back three of Watson, Fordyce and Agnew dropping in. Once Afolabi came on it was very much five up front but to be honest Callum Smith spent a fair bit of time tracking back down the left wing, Frizzell spent ages as a left wing back and even Fordyce seemed to be up winning flick ons for a bit. Murray’s done that a few times, sometimes it doesn’t work (the 1-1 home game against Clyde a prime example) but it worked perfectly yesterday. 

Despite the bitter disappointment,  it was a pleasure to have been at both games. The differences in emotions following football epitomised from both sets of fans. Even at half time yesterday I never thought the game was over. However,  when our third went in I was beginning to look forward to a final next week. 

Credit where due, Airdrie have been the form team since the turn of the year and fully deserve the chance to go up. Wouldn't mind a wee trip to Hampden next season too.

From our point of view, another great season comes to an end. We've been spoiled yet again and if we can keep the team together we can hopefully have another crack at it again next season.

Best of luck to Airdrie in the final.

23 hours ago, Smokiejohn said:

Tickets bought …. though heeds gone , driving down Clarkston Main Street saw a couple of fellow Airdrie fans heading to station …. I looped back around just so I could shout “Mon the Diamonds” … they loved it … don’t know rest of suburbanites got it emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

That was my dad and I! Was buzzing haha. Hope you enjoyed your day and we can enjoy some celebratory pints in Monteith's next Sunday ♦️

What. A. Day. Still can't quite believe we did it and I am still trying to process it all. If you'd told anyone Montrose would score 4 goals away from home (and 5 overall) and not win I don't think anyone would believe you. 

We looked dead and buried at both 2-0 and 3-1 down. Fair play to Montrose, their pressing really did a number on us but very soft goals for us to lose, again. 

Callum Smith's performance may be the best individual performance I've ever seen in a diamond (chevron ;) ). We would not have won this game if he wasn't playing. A hat-trick, harried their defence the whole game, phenomenal work-rate and was even tracking back and winning the ball in their half in the depths of extra-time. Outstanding and what an instrumental player he has become. Fair play too, to big Jonny who was also superb when he came on. He's, rightly, being getting it tight from us, but he also was vital to our win. Cracking touch and finish for his goal (and loved his celebration right in front of the Montrose dugout 😂) and that touch and assist for Gabby's goal was a sublime bit of skill. Fair play to the big man and was great seeing him jumping around with the wee guys on the pitch after the game. 

Would start Watson, and probably Kerr, in the final but Murray got his subs spot on today so credit to him for that. Loved seeing how much it meant to him and the entire squad (big Salim was loving it once again!). Nice to see Gal grab a typical Gal goal on his 100th appearance in a diamond ♦️

One of the best games I've ever been to but we haven't won anything yet. We should go into the games against Queen's Park with confidence but they will feel the same and it will no doubt be a stuffy and tight affair. But this team is something special. We know they have the ability to do it and, especially after yesterday, we know they have the mentality to do it. If we don't break our play-off hoodoo after yesterday I'm not sure we ever will. Roll on Thursday ♦️

39 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

What. A. Day. Still can't quite believe we did it and I am still trying to process it all. If you'd told anyone Montrose would score 4 goals away from home (and 5 overall) and not win I don't think anyone would believe you. 

We looked dead and buried at both 2-0 and 3-1 down. Fair play to Montrose, their pressing really did a number on us but very soft goals for us to lose, again. 

Callum Smith's performance may be the best individual performance I've ever seen in a diamond (chevron ;) ). We would not have won this game if he wasn't playing. A hat-trick, harried their defence the whole game, phenomenal work-rate and was even tracking back and winning the ball in their half in the depths of extra-time. Outstanding and what an instrumental player he has become. Fair play too, to big Jonny who was also superb when he came on. He's, rightly, being getting it tight from us, but he also was vital to our win. Cracking touch and finish for his goal (and loved his celebration right in front of the Montrose dugout 😂) and that touch and assist for Gabby's goal was a sublime bit of skill. Fair play to the big man and was great seeing him jumping around with the wee guys on the pitch after the game. 

Would start Watson, and probably Kerr, in the final but Murray got his subs spot on today so credit to him for that. Loved seeing how much it meant to him and the entire squad (big Salim was loving it once again!). Nice to see Gal grab a typical Gal goal on his 100th appearance in a diamond ♦️

One of the best games I've ever been to but we haven't won anything yet. We should go into the games against Queen's Park with confidence but they will feel the same and it will no doubt be a stuffy and tight affair. But this team is something special. We know they have the ability to do it and, especially after yesterday, we know they have the mentality to do it. If we don't break our play-off hoodoo after yesterday I'm not sure we ever will. Roll on Thursday ♦️

What a difference it made to see him play with some urgency! Not all games will require that level of urgency clearly but hopefully it shows him what's needed at this level. The slow, ponderous play we have seen until yesterday wont cut it at any professional level, but if he plays like yesterday there is clearly a player in there.

And you are right about Gallagher, he scored in last year's semi-final against Cove with his left thigh and this year with his right. There can't be many body parts left that he hasn't scored with! He can miss some easy chances but when he's forced to improvise he shows his goalscoring instinct. He has an incredible knack for being in the right place in the penalty box, happens far too often to be luck.

Amongst many things what won us that game was the depth of squad this year. Being able to bring guys like Afolabo, Allan and McGill off the bench when needing a goal is something we've not had for years.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

What a difference it made to see him play with some urgency! Not all games will require that level of urgency clearly but hopefully it shows him what's needed at this level. The slow, ponderous play we have seen until yesterday wont cut it at any professional level, but if he plays like yesterday there is clearly a player in there.

And you are right about Gallagher, he scored in last year's semi-final against Cove with his left thigh and this year with his right. There can't be many body parts left that he hasn't scored with! He can miss some easy chances but when he's forced to improvise he shows his goalscoring instinct. He has an incredible knack for being in the right place in the penalty box, happens far too often to be luck.

Amongst many things what won is that game was the depth of squad this year. Being able to bring guys like Afolabo, Allan and McGill off the bench when needing a goal is something we've not had for years.

We’ve spoke about it before on here but Gallagher knowing exactly where to be in the right place is an underrated skill. His goals aren’t usually as eye-catching as some of the other goals we score but he’s a player we can always count on to pop up at vital moments. Yesterday was his 100th appearance and he’s been a very important player in that time. 

Every year in the play-offs a player we all think isn’t great seems to turn up and have a good game or score a vital goal at some point. Derek Holmes down at Ayr, Kyle Hutton at home to Alloa, Jack McKay against Cove and now Afolabi against Montrose. If he can keep that up next week then he’ll have a big impact on the final.

The final results in the two semi-finals prove yet again that league form and it’s weekly dreariness counts for little when it’s knockout football. Energy and inspiration seems to be found wherever it hid the rest of the season. I think the final will be just as exciting, especially next Sunday. Airdrie are still the favourites for sure but we gave Dunfermline a lesson over two games and everyone at the club is up for the big push. 

21 hours ago, mo83 said:

I knew you were secretly hurting from that Killie pumping!

2-1 not really a pumping

Losing 6 however

So good how it went 4-1 you and you all probably thought you were in the final and then you lose FIVE GOALS 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

54 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

2-1 not really a pumping

Losing 6 however

So good how it went 4-1 you and you all probably thought you were in the final and then you lose FIVE GOALS 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No as bad as you trumpets going down to killie few Fridays ago thinking you would win the league!!

Sir Blair Alston broke a few smokie hearts that night.

What happened to Dunfermilne aswell? You were spouting a few weeks ago the pars would take care of any league 1 team?

Edited by mo83

Just now, mo83 said:

No as bad as you trumpets going down to killie few Fridays ago thinking you would win the league!!

Sir Blair Alston broke a few smokie hearts that night.

All you can cling to it’s fuckin glorious 😂

39 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Nae offence. Get to f**k. You will get your chance to converse with airdrie fans if we beat QP.

Nae offence. Open forum

Yesterday was absolutely hilarious and I’ll comment as I please 

4-1 up. 20 odd minutes to play. And pumped 

Superb

Nae offence. Open forum

Yesterday was absolutely hilarious and I’ll comment as I please 

4-1 up. 20 odd minutes to play. And pumped 

Superb

You might want to wait until you have played your play off games first