Playoff Semi Final - Mo v Diamonds

Just a ridiculous game. Showed our weaknesses but also showed a fighting spirit that's been lacking for years in Airdrie teams. Feel for Montrose, they've been so close now a few times in these semi-finals.
Fully expect the final to be two awful games of football as they always are against Queens Park, but if we can't win the play-offs this time given our form, and that we finished so far ahead of our opponents (which counts for nothing now, admittedly) I genuinely don't see how we ever will.

Queens P 1-1 Airdrie
Airdrie 1-1 Queens P
Pens 1-1

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That was your best chance unfortunately. Won’t make top 4 for next couple of seasons and then Petrie be Gayf bound

If we don’t make top 4 next couple of seasons, why would Arbroath want Petrie? You planning for division 1 or 2 & Petrie to do a rescue job again?

Keep your mitts off our manager, yours is half decent. 

3 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

If we don’t make top 4 next couple of seasons, why would Arbroath want Petrie? You planning for division 1 or 2 & Petrie to do a rescue job again?

Keep your mitts off our manager, yours is half decent. 

Still a good manager just won’t be able to compete with the clubs in the division next season. Falkirk / Dunfermline / QotS / QP or Airdrie / Kelty 

Still a good manager just won’t be able to compete with the clubs in the division next season. Falkirk / Dunfermline / QotS / QP or Airdrie / Kelty 

That doesn’t really make sense. Montrose have consistently been above falkirk. Granted Dunfermline should be the main team. QOTS are not great and I’d fancy montrose to be above then. They finished above Queen’s Park. Kelty should be up there but completely different challenge for them in the higher league over a season (as seen by Queen’s Park)

Sounded an unbelievable game and kudos to both sides, who have been two of the better footballing teams in the league. Commiserations to Montrose but gave it a right go and congratulations to Airdrie for never giving up. All the best in the play off final. Personally I thought it would be Airdrie v Dunfermline and Airdrie would win. Still feel the same now its Queens Park. Good luck in the final. 

WOW

The Airdrie get battered everywhere they go chant aged well 🥶

Mo just ran out of steam but they had us dead and buried. All the best for next season. A good team with a good support 👍🏼

On to the final for the diamonds, can this please be our year ♦️

Callum Smith was absolutely outstanding today, one of the best individual Airdrie performances I've ever seen.. Dragged us through some tough moments in the second half and kept going right through extra time, even when he was playing at left back. The moment early into extra time where he ran right back to win a tackle and stop a Montrose attack summed him up. He's always worked hard but he's added so much quality to his game this season.

I thought that Dumbarton game was the most ridiculous I've been to but that was incredible today. We looked done at half-time, two very soft goals to lose and we were struggling for inspiration in the final third. Getting a goal early in the second half was vital but I felt Smith scoring to make it 3-2 right after Montrose scored was what really gave us the belief to go on and do it. There was still plenty of time to go and making sure we didn't let Montrose get back on top was massive. Murray's tactic of just flinging on strikers has had mixed success but it certainly worked today. Allan's pace and work-rate caused problems and allowed a tired Gallagher to drop deeper to win headers and link play. Big Afolabi was incredible when he came on. Dillon and Steeves had looked very comfortable for most of the two legs but Dillon just couldn't deal with Afolabi. It was a great finish for the fifth but his touch and run for the sixth was great to watch. He looked absolutely buzzing at the end with all the wee guys crowding round him singing his song. We've all been critical of him, and rightfully so I think, but he really showed his quality today. 

The final will be tough. We're a better team than Queen's Park but as we saw for 135 minutes of this round, that doesn't count for much if you don't play at your best. We know each other very well at this point and I think we can be confident, while wary of their threats. I'm certainly not expecting another 6-5!

I don't mind Montrose as a club, they're a great team and are the one team I always have the fear about playing and are a great example of a well run part-time club. They actually played quite well today for the most part and just seemed to struggle handling our many forward players. They'd clearly tried to set up defensively to see the game out, as you would, but that very much backfired when we went 4-3 up and they'd taken off their main attacking threats and they lost their composure a bit after that, as did their dugout. Saying that, that's what they deserve for doing the bouncy and singing the battered everywhere they go song. I thought we were meant to be the closet Rangers fans...

Stats show that Montrose had 4 shots on target and scored them all. Pretty much sums up how this tie went for us. Honestly thought we were dead and buried when they scored their third and contemplated leaving, but why start now?

Remarked when we equalised that it was set up for a Jonny Afolabi/Gabby McGill winner. Thought Jonny was unusually industrious for us when he came on and gave Dillon a torrid time and it seems McGill just about found his touch again. Never had a feeling like it, and not sure I could’ve coped if it went to penalties. 

Special mention to the Campbell brothers, obviously straight from their dad’s school of gamesmanship. Get it right round the pair of baldy wanks.

6 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Stats show that Montrose had 4 shots on target and scored them all. Pretty much sums up how this tie went for us. Honestly thought we were dead and buried when they scored their third and contemplated leaving, but why start now?

Remarked when we equalised that it was set up for a Jonny Afolabi/Gabby McGill winner. Thought Jonny was unusually industrious for us when he came on and gave Dillon a torrid time and it seems McGill just about found his touch again. Never had a feeling like it, and not sure I could’ve coped if it went to penalties. 

Special mention to the Campbell brothers, obviously straight from their dad’s school of gamesmanship. Get it right round the pair of baldy wanks.

Same for Tony Bullock, moaning at the ref about it being a Montrose ball and laughing away at the subsequent abuse while McCabe looked like he was out cold after clattering into the post. I think it was Ross Campbell who ran round the pitch putting balls down after we went 5-3 up, after they'd spent the full game wasting time wherever possible :lol: 

On a different note, I hope the man who got taken away in an ambulance is alright and is back for next Sunday!

The ‘get battered’ song only appeared when the young team appeared out the woodwork for the play off games. Fair play they created an atmosphere but some of their stuff was very cringy. 

as for the game, wow. Thought we were a cert after going 2 up. Unfortunately the defensive subs were made far too early and it backfired. Seagull lived up to his nickname and f**ked up any chance we had. That’s him out of contract now, he’s been a good servant but now it should come to an end 

Well that was 120 minutes of absolute carnage.

First half mo strolled it,soaked up airdries 'pressure' and dry slapped us with two crosses our defence collectively shat it from.

Second half mo sat back with  banks of four and five,which from three nil up is fair enough,and parked the bus.

Airdrie however decided to drag the bus into the carpark,pump it,burn it,and in extra time piss on its ashes and it was glorious.

Props to Jonny Afolabi bamming up the montrose bench and the baldy walloper twins after his sublime finish,cant wait to see that again on the highlights later,sum boi.

For 140 minutes I thought Montrose were the better team in this tie, but the difference in attacking Vs defence was ultimately what won us the game. In full flow I don't think it's too absurb to suggest we're the best attacking team in the league, and when Murray threw every available resource at it, the pressure was far too much for Montrose.  I like the way Montrose operate and another success is just around the corner with the steady progressions being made there, and with the best intentions I hope we don't need to play you again for a couple year at least but on a side note, Ross Campbell, get it right so far round ye you absolute f*cking warmer.

For 140 minutes I thought Montrose were the better team in this tie, but the difference in attacking Vs defence was ultimately what won us the game. In full flow I don't think it's too absurb to suggest we're the best attacking team in the league, and when Murray threw every available resource at it, the pressure was far too much for Montrose.  I like the way Montrose operate and another success is just around the corner with the steady progressions being made there, and with the best intentions I hope we don't need to play you again for a couple year at least but on a side note, Ross Campbell, get it right so far round ye you absolute f*cking warmer.

I’m assuming you are saying montrose were better in the first leg? Aside from the first 20 mins of that game I thought airdrie dominated but were shite in final third. This game was similarly expect it was the first half. Airdrie were just more clinical this time

Time to digest my curry and now time to digest an impossible game. 

I thought we had the wrong team for a winning style in the Agnew/McCabe debate and felt Watson should have been RB. The Montrose game plan of targetting our right hand side led to two dreadful goals from our point of view, but very wise by them .

Given that Murray made the right changes but I still don't get the need for Agnew slowing it all down, especially with that amazing use of Friz. at LWB . Although Callum Smith got us back in, I did think it was over at 1-3. Fair dos to the extra fans who stuck by us whilst others might have gone home. Callum Smith was the man as well as Montrose thinking it was all over. CJ and Gardyne going off was the sign for amazing attacking and brave defence in case of counters.

Will have to watch highlights for that last 20 minutes but you could feel the energy drain from Montrose. I can't recollect how the 4th came about but the sheer delight of grovelling over Afolabi will stay with me forever. That goal for 6-3 after a difficult shift for Gabby was near tearful.

Montrose players deserved credit for getting a 4th and I thought Steeves was excellent for most of the game, but some of the bench were a bit moody. 

The games had been tight for us and I am glad I was there to see that. Now pick the right side for a determined QP.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling