Playoff Semi Final - Mo v Diamonds

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Airdrie play Callum Fordyce and Rhys McCabe at centre back? 

McCabe filled at centre back for a game back in August when all of our defenders except Fordyce had covid and has been there most games since then. Fordyce has been our only fit centre back for a lot of the season due to injuries, so McCabe has been playing alongside him and to be fair they've been excellent. Fordyce is very solid at this level, 8/10 near enough every week and rarely lets us down. McCabe wins plenty in the air for his size but more importantly reads the game incredibly well, he's rarely bullied by an opposition striker and allows us to build from the back. Being cousins might help but they have a very good understanding and seem to complement each other well. 

Montrose came out hard n fast, and then hung on a bit. I was also glad to see half time....

CJ can do no wrong in my eyes, but i thought he was particularly troublesome last night. 

Webby's best game in ages too.....  considering he's not an out n out defender usually.

Just after the goal, that through ball from Webby to CammyB, was sublime! 

We are missing too many of Gardyne's crosses in front of goal for my liking, hoping we don't live to rue those misses.

Still, i would have bit your hand off for a 1-0 cushion going into Game2

Edited by maz1974

12 minutes ago, Mr November said:

McCabe filled at centre back for a game back in August when all of our defenders except Fordyce had covid and has been there most games since then. Fordyce has been our only fit centre back for a lot of the season due to injuries, so McCabe has been playing alongside him and to be fair they've been excellent. Fordyce is very solid at this level, 8/10 near enough every week and rarely lets us down. McCabe wins plenty in the air for his size but more importantly reads the game incredibly well, he's rarely bullied by an opposition striker and allows us to build from the back. Being cousins might help but they have a very good understanding and seem to complement each other well. 

A defence of MacDonald, Fordyce and McCabe seems plenty talented on the ball, but not at all strong defensively. 

Flat is how I would describe our performance…

Need Watson back for Saturday as I’m just not seeing it with Macdonald.

thought the game just passed Agnew by in there any fair to say Montrose won the midfield battle.

if only we had a keeper that wasn’t petrified to come for crosses we’d maybe get out this league.

8 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Flat is how I would describe our performance…

Need Watson back for Saturday as I’m just not seeing it with Macdonald.

thought the game just passed Agnew by in there any fair to say Montrose won the midfield battle.

if only we had a keeper that wasn’t petrified to come for crosses we’d maybe get out this league.

I think in games we dominate like the recent Clyde game MacDonald can stand out as a good performer but as soon as we play a team roughly at our level he really struggles. Defensively his positioning at times last night was really poor and three times in the first half they hit a long ball over his head to their left wing that looked like it would work every time.

16 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think in games we dominate like the recent Clyde game MacDonald can stand out as a good performer but as soon as we play a team roughly at our level he really struggles. Defensively his positioning at times last night was really poor and three times in the first half they hit a long ball over his head to their left wing that looked like it would work every time.

Macdonald had his poorest game last night, looked to take a bad knock in the 2nd half but caused by his own hesitancy.

I think McDonald is a really good player usually but was off it last night. 

I think he offers a bit more than Watson going forward but lacks defensively.

Currie was at fault for that goal I felt. He’s not very commanding for a keeper and has caused frights/goals with his hesitancies all season. He is a good shot stopper though. 

My line up for Saturday:

Currie 

Watson.  McCabe.  Dycey. Paterson 

S.McGill.  Frizzel.      Easton.      

Smith         Alan         Gallagher 

Edited by Diamond1924

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

A defence of MacDonald, Fordyce and McCabe seems plenty talented on the ball, but not at all strong defensively. 

I think that's true, they've been excellent (Fordyce and McCabe) this year as we have lots of the ball so haven't been under too much pressure, this allows us to play out from the back and through midfield. The worry has always been that sides who are very direct can get at us, particularly through set-pieces and cross balls and that has been the case at times this year.

It's all about trade-offs I guess, we could have 2 big lumps at centre back who kick and head everything that moves but that would undoubtedly have made us a worse all round team this year as so many of our attacks start from the back.

Great to see two footballing teams just going hard at each other.  It was a pretty intense game.

There is clearly respect between the players of the two sides.  None of the play-acting and falling about that you see with the teams at the lower end of the league.  At least, I hope I haven't jinxed it and may that continue for Saturday.....

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think that's true, they've been excellent (Fordyce and McCabe) this year as we have lots of the ball so haven't been under too much pressure, this allows us to play out from the back and through midfield. The worry has always been that sides who are very direct can get at us, particularly through set-pieces and cross balls and that has been the case at times this year.

It's all about trade-offs I guess, we could have 2 big lumps at centre back who kick and head everything that moves but that would undoubtedly have made us a worse all round team this year as so many of our attacks start from the back.

To say Fordyce is not strong defensively is totally incorrect in my book. I'm guessing that around 75% of headers in our box are his and even commented on that last night at game.

13 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think McDonald is a really good player usually but was off it last night. 

I think he offers a bit more than Watson going forward but lacks defensively.

Currie was at fault for that goal I felt. He’s not very commanding for a keeper and has caused frights/goals with his hesitancies all season. He is a good shot stopper though. 

My line up for Saturday:

Currie 

Watson.  McCabe.  Dycey. Paterson 

S.McGill.  Frizzel.      Easton.      

Smith         Alan         Gallagher 

Agree with most of this. Currie's weakness is undoubtedly around balls into the box. His starting position is always too deep which means he either doesn't come for balls which he should do, or comes too late which just causes confusion - see McCabe own goal a couple of weeks back or the goal last night. If he's not comfortable coming off his line he'd be better just not doing it and at least rule out the indecision, although that's not really something a professional goalie should be having to do.

I'd like to see Scott McGill in the team, I think he'll help us break Montrose down and has a bit of composure that we lacked last night. I'd probably put him in instead of Gabby McGill though rather than change the midfield. Gallagher didn't do well last night but it's the usual debate with him, if someone is going to get us a goal he's probably the most likely so you can't drop him. Never been the biggest fan of Allan but wouldn't be against him starting to really get at Montrose early and unsettle them.

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

To say Fordyce is not strong defensively is totally incorrect in my book. I'm guessing that around 75% of headers in our box are his and even commented on that last night at game.

Totally agree, didn't mean to suggest that. He's been superb the last few years and I voted him POTY. It is more McCabe's inclusion that makes us a bit weaker physically from direct play and balls into the box. Fordyce is really the only defender playing last night who is strong in the air, the fact that 75% are his shows this. As I say though overall given McCabe's other attributes it's been a net benefit.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Totally agree, didn't mean to suggest that. He's been superb the last few years and I voted him POTY. It is more McCabe's inclusion that makes us a bit weaker physically from direct play and balls into the box. Fordyce is really the only defender playing last night who is strong in the air, the fact that 75% are his shows this. As I say though overall given McCabe's other attributes it's been a net benefit.

Grant228 seemed to suggest it.

Having said that, overall as a side we don't really have much of an aerial threat. Salim could have provided that option but obviously injury put paid to his season.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think this was noticeable last night at set pieces. Montrose are hardly a team of giants but they always looked to have a height advantage for every set piece, especially when Gabby McGill went off. As you say, McCabe at the back has overall been worth it as he brings so much to the team that it outweighs the lack of height but it can be an issue in both boxes. It's another reason I'm keen to bring Watson in on Saturday, he offers some height and physicality and is still a good option going forward.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

Grant228 seemed to suggest it.

Having said that, overall as a side we don't really have much of an aerial threat. Salim could have provided that option but obviously injury put paid to his season.

Oh absolutely. 

Fordyce looked fine defensively for us in league one, however his biggest plus point was his ability on the ball coming out from the back. Helped allot because we were quite simply better than the other teams so his defensive frailties weren't seen. He was quite a good talker aswell and was made captain just after signing. 

However in the Championship he looked pretty bad, without us dominating teams his on the ball ability wasn't seen as much, and his defensive ability was eh... Let's just say not great. He wasn't the biggest nor the fastest so couldn't compensate for his lack of defensive nous by being overtly physical either. 

Airdries dedication to having #ballers is to be commended, but I'd feel far more confident against there backline than against Montrose, or even QP atm. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Oh absolutely. 

Fordyce looked fine defensively for us in league one, however his biggest plus point was his ability on the ball coming out from the back. Helped allot because we were quite simply better than the other teams so his defensive frailties weren't seen. He was quite a good talker aswell and was made captain just after signing. 

However in the Championship he looked pretty bad, without us dominating teams his on the ball ability wasn't seen as much, and his defensive ability was eh... Let's just say not great. He wasn't the biggest nor the fastest so couldn't compensate for his lack of defensive nous by being overtly physical either. 

Airdries dedication to having #ballers is to be commended, but I'd feel far more confident against there backline than against Montrose, or even QP atm. 

Central defenders get better with age but can only comment on his league 1 performances. If we do happen go up I'll let you know if I agree with you.

What a performance from Sean Dillion last night. The amount of headers he won, how he defended his box and the sliding challenge to deny Frizzell late on was outstanding. He almost bagged a goal with his flick on near post header in the first half too. Hard to believe he's almost 39.

Next goal is clearly huge. Diamonds spurned a few gilt edge chances but fancy them to bag at least one on Saturday.

Much preferred when Mo got the ball down and got Lyall Cameron involved in the build up play. He was a standout. Appreciate the goal came from the early tactic of long diagonal balls and hitting it towards CJ who put in a great shift. Thought CJ was a bit isolated up top and needed someone around him. Employing the same tactics in the 2nd leg could concede a fair amount of the ball and make for some sustained pressure by the home side.

Will Quinn or any CB be back for Saturday? Webster at RB did well but he needs to play higher up the pitch where he is most effective. Steeves and Cammy B both playing out of position but did a stellar job. Credit to Mo for keeping a clean sheet with a rejigged defence.

Although not Easton's most effective game, his ability to dink by his opponent under pressure is outstanding. Airdrie have it all to do but a single goal deficit can easily be overturned. Very poised going into Saturday. Will be watching it on stream which is never the same.

Great vocal crowd of over 1300.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

53 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

What a performance from Sean Dillion last night. The amount of headers he won, how he defended his box and the sliding challenge to deny Frizzell late on was outstanding. He almost bagged a goal with his flick on nearest post header in the first half too. Hard to believe he's almost 39.

Next goal is clearly huge. Diamonds spurned a few gilt edge chances but fancy them to bag at least one on Saturday.

Much preferred when Mo got the ball down and got Lyall Cameron involved in the build up play. He was a standout. Appreciate the goal came from the early tactic of long diagonal balls and hitting it towards CJ who put in a great shift. Thought CJ was a bit isolated up top and needed someone around him. Employing the same tactics in the 2nd leg could concede a fair amount of the ball and make for some sustained pressure by the home side.

Will Quinn or any CB be back for Saturday? Webster at RB did well but he needs to play higher up the pitch where he is most effective. Steeves and Cammy B both playing out of position but did a stellar job. Credit to Mo for keeping a clean sheet with a rejigged defence.

Although not Easton's most effective game, his ability to dink by his opponent under pressure is outstanding. Airdrie have it all to do but a single goal deficit can easily be overturned. Very poised going into Saturday. Will be watching it on stream which is never the same.

Great vocal crowd of over 1300.

Dillon's last ditch tackle was so crucial indeed. Hope you enjoyed the vocal atmosphere as it was quite lively. Still poised as you say 

Fairly frustrating night as an Airdrie fan, however the tie is far from over. Obviously need to be more clinical infront of goal and sometimes our decision making was poor for instance we could have had a shot at goal instead of playing a pass which leads to nothing. Also must admit I thought we should have had a definite penalty in the 2nd half when Easton was clipped but didn’t go down, pretty sure if he goes down there it gets given but hey ho, apart from the game it was a fairly enjoyable evening in Angus which sets up a massive game on Saturday. Hopefully we can get an early goal to settle the nerves and hopefully have a large and vocal crowd to cheer the boys on. Eio[emoji3532]