Queen's Park vs Dunfermline/Dunfermline vs Queen's Park

Just now, Heaton said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:
Wouldn't be surprised if we never saw Thomas play for us again.
Saying that, he'll probably be an 80th minute sub.

Aye with another 3 players again in a last ditch madness from Hughes again. Cannie wait

The Hughes classic!

Despite the now boring pitch sharing debacle I have a wee soft spot for Queens Park as they have done what the Erse cheeks dream of doing ,namely playing in the FA cup final …cmon e Spiders, get in aboot Hughes ‘ haddies.

54 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

If that was a step up in play for QP, then their season really must have been utter horse shit. QP barely laid a glove on us and only came at us when we gifted them possession, particularly Efe in the first half. Again, the pitch made the game a total leveler. It was shocking. Hopefully with DT23 starting and on our own patch it makes for a better spectacle, at least. 

It was an attitude step up. We’ve rarely engaged in combat at any point this season, but very occasionally played decent football. There was zero quality in the game from either side in a creative sense. Dunfermline definitely not any better than Airdrie, and possibly even Montrose, on that showing and l wouldn’t be backing them with any confidence if they progress to the final.

Some credit I think for Owen Coyle last night. His initial set-up was clearly aimed at staying in the game and he certainly had the players well motivated. Later on as we started a spell of sitting too deep, something that’s crushed us in many a game this season, he brought on Quitongo and immediately our game was brought right up the pitch. Murray was again ineffective with the ball but his harassing of defenders was enough with Quitongo’s work to keep the ball away from our goal.

It was encouraging to see the effort levels much higher than norm but in truth our stifling tactics also limited our scoring opportunities and another way has to be found at EEP if we are to win the tie. As said many times we don’t have the right balance in this squad to be consistently good. Still too many silly mistakes last night. Critically, McHugh’s two wing men were both well below par and with Davidson, Brown and Lyon all playing defensively there just wasn’t anywhere near enough threat on the Pars goal. Connell has his failings but he’s still our best bet for punching through a defensive line. If he’s available that is.

It’ll be cagey on Saturday but at least we’re still in it. There wasn’t any point last night where I felt we were struggling. It’s been the story of the season though; tough to beat but seldom looking like winners. Coyle will really need to stretch everyone to break that mould. Looking forward to it.

All in all a decent night - happy with the result, the performance, saw ET of the Madrid game and got free chicken wings. Nice. 

First half was night and day from what we've seen so far this season (yes, Pars fans - we've been that bad). Great organisation and desire off the ball - really got in their faces... forgot to play any football, mind, but one thing at a time, eh? 

I thought Dunfermline were better 2nd half (wasn't sure if he changed things?) was sure a goal was coming and it was only our subs that saved us - gave us a different option and got us up the park. I thought the Dunfermline subs and/or the reaction too them had an impact too - it seemed to take the sting out of the game and then we were relatively comfortable. 

Still underdogs but but the tie is live and that's all I was hoping for. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

It was an attitude step up. We’ve rarely engaged in combat at any point this season, but very occasionally played decent football. There was zero quality in the game from either side in a creative sense. Dunfermline definitely not any better than Airdrie, and possibly even Montrose, on that showing and l wouldn’t be backing them with any confidence if they progress to the final.

Fair enough. I don't think you were any good, but I will say that it did feel like you had an extra man on the pitch as there was always someone in the road to stop us or get in about it when we looked to break, so that's a testament to your work rate. Centre backs had a stormer. 

Still think we should have too much quality come Saturday. 

I'd go with 

Jakub

Comrie Ambrose Donaldson Edwards

Dow Todd Dorrans Thomas

Kamwa

O'Hara

On Saturday and go for it. No doubt Chalmers and Polworth will retain their starting places and slow the game down to a crawl.

I thought the Dunfermline subs and/or the reaction too them had an impact too - it seemed to take the sting out of the game and then we were relatively comfortable. 

Game cried out for us having another striker on the pitch to help keep the ball up there, but Yogi has persisted with 1 up front for 98% of his time with us and in a game like this we really should have been more positive.

The other change sounds like it was forced but a defender for a midfielder isn’t exactly an inspiring sub to go and grab the win in the dying minutes, granted we moved Matty Todd up so we stayed in the same shape anyway.

I also felt like O’Hara was actually growing into the game as it went on. His runs were getting closer to working out and he got that half decent shot off as well. To bring him off when things were starting to click instead of Dow, Chalmers or Polworth seemed baffling to me.

Definitely not going to be pretty on Saturday, but just hope we get through it as painlessly as possible

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'd go with 

Jakub

Comrie Ambrose Donaldson Edwards

Dow Todd Dorrans Thomas

Kamwa

O'Hara

On Saturday and go for it. No doubt Chalmers and Polworth will retain their starting places and slow the game down to a crawl.

Yep, a 4-4-1-1 with more attacking intent would be best. Not sure about Kamwa as he hasn't kicked a ball really, but we need to try something. Chalmers and Polworth are needing dropped, 100%

Depends which Pars team show up on Saturday and I don't mean team selection or formation.

The players have turned up and played some good stuff in very short and few occasions so they are capable of it. Dom was gash the last two games but I'd rather he start and see which Dom is on the park and hook him if he is pish.

We simply need to come out blazing and go at it as we did v Partick at home. If we can play half as well as that game and how we can and should play then its a good game..if not we are fucked

26 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Yep, a 4-4-1-1 with more attacking intent would be best. Not sure about Kamwa as he hasn't kicked a ball really, but we need to try something. Chalmers and Polworth are needing dropped, 100%

Yeh, I went with him because,

1, he should have a good engine in him 

2, Queens Park won't really know what to expect seeing as we haven't seen him play

3, You would imagine he will want to have something to show for his time in Scotland

4, Dow, Dom, Lawless, Polworth, Dorrans are all completely ineffective inbehind the striker. 

We could go 2 up top but I'd wait until the second half and then throw on 2 up top 

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

If that was a step up for Queens Park I can only offer my condolences for what they've watched this season.

The last two thirds of the season haven't been pretty but, to be fair, we didn't have to step up too far to match the Pars.

5 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I thought we matched the Pars for all but a dodgy spell in the middle of the second half when we did well not to crumble. I was expecting more from them. Give us credit as we were up a notch on quality than recently. It was, though, a pretty dire game, albeit quite exciting.

I'd be tempted to play Murray and Quitongo from the start on Saturday as I reckon that "first goal's the winner".

That's mindblowing tbh because I thought both sides looked dreadful and the game was teeth-achingly boring.

4 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The last two thirds of the season haven't been pretty but, to be fair, we didn't have to step up too far to match the Pars.

That was a step up? Fucking hell 

Matching us is absolutely nothing to crow about, I can't remember the last time a side threatened us as little as what QP did last night. 

To clarify, we aren't good. Not even close to it, however you've not got Pars fans on here saying anything resembling that. 

If that's a league one side stepping up though we might have half a chance of staying up though. 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That was a step up? Fucking hell 

Matching us is absolutely nothing to crow about, I can't remember the last time a side threatened us as little as what QP did last night. 

To clarify, we aren't good. Not even close to it, however you've not got Pars fans on here saying anything resembling that. 

If that's a league one side stepping up though we might have half a chance of staying up though. 

We should be beating these teams, but a combination of poor midfield options, kamikaze defending, and Yogi's daft-arse tactics will probably mean we will go down. 

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

We should be beating these teams, but a combination of poor midfield options, kamikaze defending, and Yogi's daft-arse tactics will probably mean we will go down. 

Probably. 

Saturday will define yesterdays result allot more, if we win you'll have people looking back and saying that a draw away on a poor pitch was smart, and a fine result. 

At the moment though it was just a very boring game against a team we should've beat, God I wish this season was over, it might well be by Saturday evening. 

Not sure why anyone is thinking Queen's Park are a barometer of success in League 1. They only finished 6 points ahead of 5th place, were 21 points behind Airdrie and 8 behind Montrose.

If we get to the final then I really fear Airdrie or Montrose giving us a bit of a pumping in the away leg. I think, like the Alloa game, we'll be finished by the home leg.

Hope not mind.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure why anyone is thinking Queen's Park are a barometer of success in League 1. They only finished 6 points ahead of 5th place, were 21 points behind Airdrie and 8 behind Montrose.

If we get to the final then I really fear Airdrie or Montrose giving us a bit of a pumping in the away leg. I think, like the Alloa game, we'll be finished by the home leg.

Hope not mind.

Don't think anyone has suggested they were tbf.