Let’s all laugh at Dunfermline thread

On 30/04/2022 at 05:27, Shandon Par said:

IIRC we’ve been punted out of playoffs by Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Raith, Alloa and Cowdenbeath. They’re not really out strong point IMO. 

The updated list of teams who have papped Pars out of play offs.. 

Aberdeen

Alloa

Cowdenbeath

Dundee United 

Raith Rovers

Queens Park

The updated list of teams Pars have beaten in play offs:

Forfar

Stranraer

Failures to get promoted: 4

Relegations: 2

Promotions: 

image.gif.17bb1d58f29422aabb6e1f8cc2ab7674.gif

Edited by Shandon Par

19 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Aberdeen

Alloa

Cowdenbeath

Dundee United 

Raith Rovers

Queens Park

Forfar

Promotions: 

Rovers play-off experience is similar.

25 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Aberdeen

Alloa

Cowdenbeath

Dundee United 

Raith Rovers

Queens Park

Forfar

Promotions: 

You missed Stranraer from the win list.

McBookie's biggest liability in the Championship market was Dunfermline.

However they hired a couple of liabilities as manager and their bacon was saved.

It just shows you that even having a home fixture against the team who finished a distant fourth in the league below you, is nowhere near a gimme and anything can happen. I’m not saying that Pars fans thought it was a certainty, but being honest, I still think most fans would’ve looked at it and thought “Ok we’ve been shite, I don’t trust us etc etc”, but still would’ve fancied them to get the job done. I certainly thought it would’ve been reasonably comfortable across the tie. Thought Dunfermline’s home form would’ve been the clincher.

Maybe it’s because that could’ve been us, but I don’t have any feelings of “GIUY” towards Dunfermline. I just think “Holy f**k, that could’ve been us”. Makes you realise how close we came to it and just how important it was to remain in the division. Especially given then quality and ultra competitive nature of L1 for 2022/23.

I have nothing against Dunfermline, quite like the away day, and their fans are more than decent compared to a fair few in the division who I hate. 

Best of luck down there boys, you’ll need it. 

Edited by Calayrdonia

24 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

It just shows you that even having a home fixture against the team who finished a distant fourth in the league below you, is nowhere near a gimme and anything can happen. I’m not saying that Pars fans thought it was a certainty, but being honest, I still think most fans would’ve looked at it and thought “Ok we’ve been shite, I don’t trust us etc etc”, but still would’ve fancied them to get the job done. I certainly thought it would’ve been reasonably comfortable across the tie. Thought Dunfermline’s home form would’ve been the clincher.

I thought the same when we played Brechin under Hughes...

29 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

Maybe it’s because that could’ve been us, but I don’t have any feelings of “GIUY” towards Dunfermline. I just think “Holy f**k, that could’ve been us”.

Consider that the winner in the other tie was scored by proven dud Jonathan Afolabi and things could have been even worse.

26 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

Maybe it’s because that could’ve been us, but I don’t have any feelings of “GIUY” towards Dunfermline. I just think “Holy f**k, that could’ve been us”. Makes you realise how close we came to it and just how important it was to remain in the division. Especially given then quality and ultra competitive nature of L1 for 2022/23.

I have nothing against Dunfermline, quite like the away day, and their fans are more than decent compared to a fair few in the division who I hate. 

Best of luck down there boys, you’ll need it. 

I was pretty sure we were down from about October. That team was easily as bad as the one that finished 7th in League One. The only players who could occasionally win us a game didn’t get on with the “managers”, Crawford’s players were probably shocked at the buffoons the board replaced him with and we looked poorly trained and poorly motivated from early in the season. Absolutely deluded manager saying “we won’t take Queens lightly” as if we were better when on paper we are a worse team than them.

Shambles and a well-deserved relegation! But thanks for your kind words anyway. L1 quite handy for me now anyway as Alloa, Falkirk, Pars and Kelty are all so close I could about walk to the games.

1 hour ago, Calayrdonia said:

I think the playoffs are quite tricky for the team finishing 9th. I definitely would not have felt confident if it had been Ayr in the playoffs instead of Dunfermline, because IMO there's not that big a gap between lower Championship/upper League One. Also, our form prior to the final day win had been poor. We also got absolutely spanked by the fourth-placed team in the playoffs at Somerset Park in 2011/12 with an (IMO) better team than we had this season.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I think the playoffs are quite tricky for the team finishing 9th. I definitely would not have felt confident if it had been Ayr in the playoffs instead of Dunfermline, because IMO there's not that big a gap between lower Championship/upper League One. Also, our form prior to the final day win had been poor. We also got absolutely spanked by the fourth-placed team in the playoffs at Somerset Park in 2011/12 with an (IMO) better team than we had this season.

It also highlights the huge advantage the eleventh place Premiership team get in the playoff structure versus all the ninth place teams in the lower leagues.