ICTFC 🔵 🔴 v 🔴 🟡 PTFC. It's Playoff Time.

12 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

I knew that - should have wrote that a bit better.

Does anyone know how ticket sales for this match are going - the build up for the game seems very flat.

I have no inside knowledge, but I think there were a bit over 2000 at the last game between us at Firhill, so will probably be around the same I guess. That was a Friday night on the television too. 

This tie is basically just to determine which side Arbroath will be beating in the semi, so you can see why none of us are really arsed. 

The team which finishes fourth have a one in eight chance of getting promoted before you take into account home disadvantage, less rest and being shiter than the other clubs. So in reality it's probably greater than one in ten.

I'll take the unfairness of the fourth place team going up once a decade in exchange for the scenes and heads gone which would ensue.

The one time that I can remember it happening was when Brechin won the League 1 playoffs from 4th in 2017. They got promoted to The Championship, were clearly nowhere near up to it and got humped every week. The losing habit was hard to break and less than five years later they were in the Highland League.
Careful what you wish for etc. Has this been the only time it happened?

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

The one time that I can remember it happening was when Brechin won the League 1 playoffs from 4th in 2017. They got promoted to The Championship, were clearly nowhere near up to it and got humped every week. The losing habit was hard to break and less than five years later they were in the Highland League.

We did it under Dick Campbell in the first year the playoffs were introduced. We finished the lowest ranked full-time team in the league (4th in what is now league 1), and were completely outplayed by Peterhead in the playoff final. However, deflected freekick off an arse in the final minute of the tie put us level and we won on penalties on what remains probably the least deserved promotion ever.

8 minutes ago, Lex said:

2005–06 Scottish Second Division. Thistle beating Peterhead on penalties after beating Stranraer (first division side) and Peterhead beating Morton who finished 13 points clear in second. As I a Saints fan I assumed you would have some awareness of this.

Edited by jagfox

56 goals conceded in 36 games- +1 goal difference.

Table

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Promotion or relegation
1 Gretna 36 28 4 4 97 30 +67 88 Promoted to 2006–07 First Division
Qualification for the UEFA Cup Second qualifying round as cup runner up
2 Greenock Morton 36 21 7 8 58 33 +25 70  
3 Peterhead 36 17 6 13 53 47 +6 57
4 Partick Thistle 36 16 9 11 57 56 +1 57 Promoted to 2006–07 First Division
5 Stirling Albion 36 15 6 15 54 63 −9 51  
6 Ayr United 36 10 12 14 56 61 −5 42
7 Raith Rovers 36 11 9 16 44 54 −10 42
8 Forfar Athletic 36 12 4 20 44 55 −11 40
9 Alloa Athletic 36 8 8 20 26 77 −51 32
10 Dumbarton 36 7 5 24 40 63 −23 26 Relegated to 2006–07 Third Division

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

Brechin lost more games than they won that season and then made absolutely zero attempt to properly improve that side when they’d moved up a level it was fkn bizarre and the start of the bad decisions that have now lead to them being where they are noe

Not liking all this pessimism from the Partick supporters. Feels like we are being lulled into a sense of false security...

2 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

It's pretty much the only game this season I've been properly up for but can see why lots aren't - promotion still seems very distant and pretty unlikely at this point.

Partick's form's a bit rubbish too so it makes sense that their fans are on a bit of a downer, though if they're still feeling like that at 7pm I don't know why they bother watching football tbh.

That's an under-statement. We have been rotten for months. Only Rovers and QOS have worse records in 2022.]

Our management team are masters are deflecting the blame onto the pitch, players' mistakes, injuries, blah blah blah....

They never admit that the team selections, tactics or coaching could and should be better.

Thistle fans deserve better than McCall's lame excuses and Low's PR crap..

2022 has been a real slog and there were moments on Friday when you did wonder if we might blow 4th, but we're here now. We might as well give the play-offs a right good go. 

Do I think we'll go up? Probably not but bad runs, just like good runs, will end at some point. Even allowing for our current poor form, It would hardly be a massive shock were we to beat Inverness over the two games. 

It's hardly an inspiring call to arms but, ach well let's give it a go. You never know. 

12 minutes ago, RiG said:

Not liking all this pessimism from the Partick supporters. Feels like we are being lulled into a sense of false security...

I’m hoping that you’ve reached the top of the roller coaster again and tonight you start going downhill.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Thistle looking to become the first side finishing 4th in the Championship to win the QF tie.

I know we've failed twice (vs Dundee Utd & wee team) as have Queens x 2, Ayr, Morton, and the wee team.

Well, we were the first side to be relegated from the Premier League via the play-offs and then the first side to be relegated from the Premier League via the play-offs twice. We might as well add another play-off first. 

1 minute ago, John MacLean said:

2022 has been a real slog and there were moments on Friday when you did wonder if we might blow 4th, but we're here now. We might as well give the play-offs a right good go. 

Do I think we'll go up? Probably not but bad runs, just like good runs, will end at some point. Even allowing for our current poor form, It would hardly be a massive shock were we to beat Inverness over the two games. 

It's hardly an inspiring call to arms but, ach well let's give it a go. You never know. 

It’s probably the best position to be in. There is no expectation. All the pressure is on ICT, I think.

Not really comparing apples with apples when folk talk about finishing 4th in league one or two. Only got 2 ties to play then rather than 3.

In 2006 we were playing a Stranraer team first up who were dead on their feet and were in free fall. We battered them 3-1 going on 10 at Stair Park and they got two men sent off in the last minute. Job done... 

Of course we then lost the home leg 2-1, pretty sure all the goals were in the last ten minutes.

The Peterhead jamminess has been covered earlier, but if we then had to play a 3rd tie I'm sure we'd have run out of gas (and luck).