Highlights/lowlights of your season?

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I heard that. He's a fucking tit. Dundee will be well rid of him, as he clearly does not give a f**k.

Also seems irrationally annoyed by things all the time.

Aye - saying he doesn't want to talk about Charlie Adam after the game when all he's done for weeks is talk about him. An odd man indeed.

Anyway, on with the thread. The low points include the eye-bleedingly bad football that the dinosaur had us playing, Jason Naismith being slower than a week in the jail, losing to Ayr at home for the first time since 1996 and missing out on a clean sweep, and a few other losses/points chucked away.

Thankfully, from a Killie perspective the highlights are so good that they've condemned the low points straight into the bin of history, rarely to be remembered. Starting off the season perfectly at home to Ayr. Taking in grounds we hadn't managed to get to for years. Taking a very decent Dundee United team very close in the Scottish Cup. Getting big Laff back and his goals helping to propel us up the table. Putting the league into our own hands in one fateful weekend where we gub Ayr with 3 goals in the first 15 minutes and big Robbie does us a solid at Cappielow by dumping Thistle out the title race the next day. And, of course, Blair Alston... 

Given that Killie had never won a league at Rugby Park before in our history, it was good to be able to do it in front of a big crowd and to turn around the game in the most dramatic fashion. It's been fun, but I hope that the Championship doesn't have to suffer us for a good while again.

Highlight: the 4-0 Vs Partick, 3-0 Vs ICT, 4-4 Vs Raith. 

Lowlights: paying £20 to watch Partick horse us. Colin McGowan refusing to spend anything to get us out the league. Not even getting near the playoffs despite being in the premiership last season. Throwing away 1-0 leads in the 90th minute about 5 times. Most of our signings being duds or not arsed. 

15 minutes ago, Moysterclass said:

Highlight: the 4-0 Vs Partick, 3-0 Vs ICT, 4-4 Vs Raith. 

Lowlights: paying £20 to watch Partick horse us. Colin McGowan refusing to spend anything to get us out the league. Not even getting near the playoffs despite being in the premiership last season. Throwing away 1-0 leads in the 90th minute about 5 times. Most of our signings being duds or not arsed. 

We didn’t lose by more than 1 goal in our 9 league defeats. You didn’t beat us 3-0.

On 29/04/2022 at 14:05, KTID65 said:

Highlight, 20 minutes against Ayr at Somerset and 15 mins against Arbroath last week.

lowlights, being in this shite league and away games on a Friday.

Grow up 

You might never see a night like last Friday again. It’ll be back to trying to finish between 5th and 10th next season 

Highlights - been so many but few games stick out, Partick at home in the pishing rain early on in the season. With Nicky Low and Nouble playing unbelievably well and McKenna putting the ball in the net I genuinely walked back to the pub excited for the rest of the season because I knew we could take anyone home or away and not just beat them but beat them comfortably. I mean without going back through the fixture list we’ve had some big wins. It’s been an incredible season.

Favourite away day was Dunfermline early on too, went there and turned them over 3-0. Lovely sunny day. Train through and pubs before it. Creeepy wee pub and Buckie bombs the highlight 

Lowlight - 3-0 defeat in Inverness a couple of weeks ago. We just never turned up and it’s not like us. 

And losing Nouble. If we kept Nouble we would have been clear champions. I’d put everything on that too and won’t hear otherwise 

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Grow up 

You might never see a night like last Friday again. It’ll be back to trying to finish between 5th and 10th next 

You are just in the huff because your part time/ hybrid fairytale failed at the last minute. You got what you deserved after trying to waste time from 15 minutes onwards so dry yer eyes and look forward to the play offs though I can’t see any team from this shite league beating St Johnstone. 

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Grow up 

You might never see a night like last Friday again. It’ll be back to trying to finish between 5th and 10th next season 

100% this.  

Genuine question for Kilmarnock fans:  with the absolute benefit of hindsight, are you not kind of glad you get relegated last season?

A dreadful season, but there are still choices.

Highlight for me:  When we took the lead with 10 minutes left, at home to Ayr in the penultimate game, some sort of escape really did seem possible.  Going to Palmerston had been so dreary for so long that to have a decent crowd and high stakes felt improbably vital and significant.  The genuine scenes that greeted the goal had not been seen in a few years.  Of course, a hilarious punch-line was lying in wait.

The low light field is terribly crowded.  Some displays were just awful.  The successive home ones in January that didn't yield a single shot on target are up there.  I'll plump for the April home game with Partick Thistle though.  We performed well and hammered them 0-1.  It was pretty much a final nail and it encapsulated our complete inability to score goals and win matches.  

Highlights:

- Battering Hamilton 6-1. We let them off lightly that night.

- Back to back wins in Ayrshire.

- Some really memorably away days.

- The passion of the young team who do their best to create an atmosphere.

- Never looking in any serious danger at any point throughout the season.

Lowlights:

- Farcical collapses away at Abroath and Inverness early on in the season.

- Disgusting behaviour of the stewards at Arbroath who racially profiled one of our fans, concocted a pack of lies about him, and subjected him to months of unnecessary stress. 

- The pitch.

- Amount of pitch and covid related postponements during winter. Killed the momentum of the team and sapped the feel good factor for me.

- January transfer window dealings.

- The toxic presence of Jacui Low. 

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

100% this.  

Genuine question for Kilmarnock fans:  with the absolute benefit of hindsight, are you not kind of glad you get relegated last season?

A Motherwell fan asked something similar and as I said to him, the high points were last Friday night and winning more games than usual.
But honestly no, I am not glad we got relegated. It was a real struggle at times and some of the games were eye wateringly bad to watch.

But I kinda know what you mean, a change of scenery and being champions kinda partially made up for the relagation. Could’ve been different though.

And I nearly forgot… the Dundee affect is a way to think about it. They are easily big enough to remain in the top flight for a while, but never do. And I think it thats because the teams that come up are often weak enough to go back down straight away.
Then you end up as yo-yo club. Motherwell are the perfect example of the longer you stay up the easier it is to stay up, if that makes sense. We were like that until last season of course.

Edited by NFL12

Highlights - slim pickings but the 1-2 win up at ICT in Yogi’s first game, followed by a 3-0 home win against Ayr, we played brilliant and I thought that was our season staring. Probably not embarrassing ourselves against Raith. They battered us a couple of times last season but didn’t land a glove in our worst season in a long time.

Lowlights - I mean it’s all been terrible but I’ll start with Peter fucking Grant getting appointed in May, a sign of things to come, the man no one wanted at the club. First game since pre-pandemic for me was our first league home game of the season against Thistle, chipper about getting back but as I walked through the turnstile I heard “scorer for Partick Thistle”. Wasn’t even in the stadium yet. Again, a sign of things to come. Signing about a million centre halfs and only one of them actually being any good. Letting Craig Wighton go out on loan to a team chasing promotion. I could go on but I fear the worst is yet to come. Friday was particularly bad but we knew there was potential for that as it was out of our hands, I was back in the pub before the second half had kicked off.

Won’t be traveling to Firhill on Wednesday as I was there last week and it’s a sandy shitehole, I also think there’s a fair chance we might lose. Bad memories of the last time we ended up in league 1 via the playoffs. A win away to Thistle would have kept us up but they equalised in the 98th minute. Then we just needed a win at home to already relegated Airdrie and lost 1-2. First playoff game we lost 3-1 to Forfar then beat them 6-2 at East End before shitting the bed against Alloa, can see history repeating itself here. Either Peter Grant Jr, Stewart Petrie or fucking Airdrie are going to kill us off and we’ve just to wait to see who gets my lowlight of the year award. 

Edited by The Toun Clock

1 hour ago, NFL12 said:

A Motherwell fan asked something similar and as I said to him, the high points were last Friday night and winning more games than usual.
But honestly no, I am not glad we got relegated. It was a real struggle at times and some of the games were eye wateringly bad to watch.

But I kinda know what you mean, a change of scenery and being champions kinda partially made up for the relagation. Could’ve been different though.

And I nearly forgot… the Dundee affect is a way to think about it. They are easily big enough to remain in the top flight for a while, but never do. And I think it thats because the teams that come up are often weak enough to go back down straight away.
Then you end up as yo-yo club. Motherwell are the perfect example of the longer you stay up the easier it is to stay up, if that makes sense. We were like that until last season of course.

Yes, fair enough.  I get your point about the parallels with the likes of Motherwell, and indeed Dundee.  

In terms of the club's stature, I suppose that remaining in the top league without breaks is important.

Surely though, highs like last Friday are hard to match for a side like Kilmarnock, certainly in the League?  

I know the sensible take is for your side to play at the highest level possible.  However, as an end in itself, that doesn't really cut it, does it?  

An ostensibly alright top tier season in which you finish 8th must be less memorable.  No?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, fair enough.  I get your point about the parallels with the likes of Motherwell, and indeed Dundee.  

In terms of the club's stature, I suppose that remaining in the top league without breaks is important.

Surely though, highs like last Friday are hard to match for a side like Kilmarnock, certainly in the League?  

I know the sensible take is for your side to play at the highest level possible.  However, as an end in itself, that doesn't really cut it, does it?  

An ostensibly alright top tier season in which you finish 8th must be less memorable.  No?

Yes, you’re right. Definitely an 8th or lower finish is rubbish… unless you get a last day victory like we did against Falkirk, twice. That makes a season memorable, but uncomfortable.

But again it’s that fear you might end up in a Falkirk type  nose dive that makes a relegation undesirable, and that’s to say the least. So arguments both ways I suppose.

And now that you have suggested it, maybe Friday night raised the profile of the club amongst the towns supporters a wee bit, and maybe more will come again. We do already have a big support for our town size,  and I know a few Old Firm fans who now raise their kids to support Killie - both sides of that divide as well, and not a direct result of Friday night, but that does help.
So maybe failure in the long run this could arguably help us, but I think that is optimistic because I don’t see it happening to any other club who end up get relegated.
A year from now…. maybe when you hopefully get promoted, you can answer the same question MonkeyTennis? And good luck down there!

Edited by NFL12

10 hours ago, NFL12 said:

A year from now…. maybe when you hopefully get promoted, you can answer the same question MonkeyTennis?

Getting promoted from League One is a relief and little more. Further to that, Kelty will undoubtedly buy the title next season as Cove did this time, so it's an awful time to go down. This is a big contrast compared to billy-big-baws all-seater c***s finally getting a kick up the arse after their stay in the self-preservation league comes to an end.

On 01/05/2022 at 16:10, KTID65 said:

You are just in the huff because your part time/ hybrid fairytale failed at the last minute. You got what you deserved after trying to waste time from 15 minutes onwards so dry yer eyes and look forward to the play offs though I can’t see any team from this shite league beating St Johnstone. 

St Johnstone might have too much for whoever plays them…. but that’s different from describing any league as ‘shite’.  The SPL is a foregone conclusion every year from the off - never watch it, not interested. The Championship is generally a much closer fought affair, the points difference top to bottom always the least of any division = most competitive.  Generally something to play for.  The football on show is a mixed bag but that’s not really the point.  Hope Killie stay up and allow other SPL also-rans a similar shot at revitalisation.

13 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

St Johnstone might have too much for whoever plays them…. but that’s different from describing any league as ‘shite’.  The SPL is a foregone conclusion every year from the off - never watch it, not interested. The Championship is generally a much closer fought affair, the points difference top to bottom always the least of any division = most competitive.  Generally something to play for.  The football on show is a mixed bag but that’s not really the point.  Hope Killie stay up and allow other SPL also-rans a similar shot at revitalisation.

The SPL doesn't exist any longer and hasn't existed for years.