Alloa Athletic V Montrose

Managing to finish 5th would feel like a bit of a victory this season.

Need a win, as a draw would require Queen's to put six past Falkirk at home, which...well, that's never going to happen, is it?

Great way to finish the season. Looked like it could be a tough day after big Andy went for an early bath after a bright start from us but massive credit for the performance with 10 men. Rice kept to his attacking philosophy and if that’s the last we see of Henderson then what a way to sign off.

like some  I feared the worst when Andy went  but it seems we still had more than enough for a weakened montrose , but credit to them for sticking in , Mciver and henderson were some pairing today

sad that we may not see them here again , Sena was good too,  hilarious to finish 5th after we thought we might be battling relegation ,  Good luck to the Mo in the playoffs but i think Airdrie will be too good for them , 

As for the Mo penalty taker goading the Alloa fans  🤣 get it up ye !

still raging at Andy's sending off though seemed extremely harsh .

That was a thoroughly enjoyable way to end the season. Montrose clearly weren't at their strongest but the performance from our 10 men was very good in the 2nd half.

I thought that the referee called their penalty wrong, it looked to me like Andy got pulled back when he went to head the ball back. Once the referee has decided that the foul was against Andy it was always likely to be a sending off. I'm not sure why Webster decided to celebrate the way he did as I didn't hear him getting any abuse, but to be honest I quite enjoy things like that as it serves to add a bit of spice to the game.

Rice deserves a lot of credit for the changes he made at half time, we came out on fire in the second half. The combinations between Scougall, McIver and Henderson were excellent and Henderson clearly enjoyed tormenting the Montrose defence.

A good end to the season which gives us some optimism for next year and also leaves us with a sense of what if. If we'd got rid of Ferguson a few games earlier could we have been up in the play offs?

Not a surprising result given our lineup.  Rossco and Winker as centre backs was hilarious and ended as you’d expect.  Thought young Baxter did well in the second half .. kept going and unlucky not to score. Tuesday will see a completely different team but unless Aiden is back I fear we are going to struggle big time.  Also good to see Martin get some time on the park .. maybe set a record … 2 appearances in the first and last games of the regular season. 

Good way to end the season and a brilliant way for Henderson to finish his time with us. He was clearly up for it today, especially in the second half, and when he performs like that he is almost unplayable. 

Thought some of the link up between Henderson and MacIver was brilliant to watch, and Sena and Durnan were also excellent on a day when there were no failures. 

Will have a look at the penalty when the highlights come out tonight, but I thought it looked soft. Didn’t see much difference between it and a challenge Durnan made 5 or 10 minutes later that went for a corner. 

Definitely a feeling of what could have been this season given the performances since Rice came in, but certainly feeling optimistic for next year. 

All about who is re-signed and brought in now. 

2 hours ago, Dink said:

I thought that the referee called their penalty wrong, it looked to me like Andy got pulled back when he went to head the ball back. Once the referee has decided that the foul was against Andy it was always likely to be a sending off. I'm not sure why Webster decided to celebrate the way he did as I didn't hear him getting any abuse, but to be honest I quite enjoy things like that as it serves to add a bit of spice to the game.

Thought it was a penalty in real time TBH. Given how Simpson has been a long way short of looking a goalscorer for us, it probably wasn't necessary to put the challenge in! Not that it mattered in the end - guessing Rice stuck a rocket up them at half time, leading to the knife-through-butter stuff early second half.

Now you've got a decent manager I wouldn't be surprised to see Alloa pushing for top 4 next time round. Losing Henderson is a blow - he looked far more like a player today than he did for us.

5th place secured in outstanding fashion. Arguably, our best performance of the season. We said it on comm's but if that is a Ferguson team, as soon as Andy gets sent off it is backs to the wall stuff and damage limitation. Instead the shouts from the dugout were believe in yourself and continue pushing forward. It was great to get level so close to the opener, we then weathered the mini-storm till half-time before blowing them away. Few decent saves from PJ in that spell too.

That opening quarter of the second half was so fun to watch. That was peak Henderson that we loved in the first half of the season. Sharp, confident and composed. All great goals. The connection with MacIver was sublime too. Definitely his best performance in an Alloa shirt and he is one, that I never thought I'd say previously, but definitely worth a deal if he is a free agent. So selfless as well for the fourth goal which I like to see. Seen on Twitter but Scougall too was a cut above, he'll be massive next season.

If I was a Montrose fan, I wouldn't give a toss about yesterday. For us though, we can only beat what is in front of us and if that attitude and style of play with 10 men is what we are going to have in the next 2 years, then brilliant. It probably is a season of 'what if's' if we binned Ferguson earlier but I'd rather look forward under Rice, and I reckon it will be good. 

Big few weeks ahead in the initial stages of recruitment and retention. Hopefully most of the core stay, Durnan in particular I hope doesn't get better offers. A steady head again yesterday. After the way yesterday ended, makes me want Andy to stay even more - he can't go out on that!! Be tough to say goodbye to guys like Trouten but think we are at that stage now. I hope this isn't the last we have seen of MacIver and Sena. I imagine it will be the last of Henderson but what a way to bow out.

Not too much to take from that highlights other than if we stay in this division next season I’d like to see Tristan Baxter involved more in the first team. Scottish football needs more mullets.