Best Scottish football experience

If you like weird 1960s concrete architecture get the train to Galashiels. There's a Social Club under the stand too. 

gala.jpg.66663d33208f7b7ea891f8bb4ecca15d.jpg

I like Hawick too (bar's at the back of the stand!) even though their team are usually dugmeat

hawick.jpg.15d72ba2010d3fcb94035e21422ab26b.jpg

and if you like football AND trainspotting then it has to be New Countess Park, Dunbar (pies are excellent there too)

ncp6.thumb.jpg.fb5873b2709ababe8771a71400b39e67.jpg

Ironically the two stadiums I'd recommend are home to the two worst teams. 

Palmerston is the most scenic stadium in the Championship IMO, very pretty and Dumfries is a nice town, might be too far to travel though. 

East End Park, specifically the North West Stand is your best bet for finding something resembling an atmosphere, Dunfermline also has a bit of history to it with the Abbey. 

Starks Park of Raith Rovers is further away, not as nice a stadium and Kirkcaldy just isn't great. 

Falkirks stadium is in a shite part of Falkirk, also only has 3 stands. 

The priority should be going to Tynecastle though, go to that and then see what other games you can attend with your spare time. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Ironically the two stadiums I'd recommend are home to the two worst teams. 

Palmerston is the most scenic stadium in the Championship IMO, very pretty and Dumfries is a nice town, might be too far to travel though. 

East End Park, specifically the North West Stand is your best bet for finding something resembling an atmosphere, Dunfermline also has a bit of history to it with the Abbey. 

Starks Park of Raith Rovers is further away, not as nice a stadium and Kirkcaldy just isn't great. 

Falkirks stadium is in a shite part of Falkirk, also only has 3 stands. 

The priority should be going to Tynecastle though, go to that and then see what other games you can attend with your spare time. 

Agree - you can't top Tynecastle in Scotland for atmosphere, being right on top of the pitch etc.

Although Palmerston is indeed scenic, a mention should also be given to its ground breaking venture into bio-diversity (which should be of interest to our no doubt eco aware Swedish friends) - ie the magnificent moss accumulation on our ancient main stand roof much loved by our seagull colony ... and yes, monitoring of this development has indeed been of much more interest this season than the fitba.

Sorry to those sadly afflicted but ... all modern lego-type stadia should be avoided.

There are three issues though with Palmerston, only two relevant to this thread.

1. The crappy ancient artificial pitch pretty much ensures a poor game
  2. It's a bugger to get there from Edinburgh
  3. Ayr Utd's inability to ever win there no matter how poor a season Queen of the South might be having

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

5 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

There are three issues though with Palmerston, only two relevant to this thread.

1. The crappy ancient artificial pitch pretty much ensures a poor game
  2. It's a bugger to get there from Edinburgh
  3. Ayr Utd's inability to ever win there no matter how poor a season Queen of the South might be having

1. Aye, the surface is crap. Seen some good games on it though ... usually against Ayr to be fair.

2. Yeah, not great by public transport. Lovely drive down by car via Broughton and Moffat though.

3. This is very much a plus point.

It's straightforward to get to via public transport. There's a direct train for Glasgow Central. From Edinburgh, get the train to Carlisle and then from there direct to Dumfries.

20 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Yeah - you have to get there via England? Great link - I think not.

Anyway, nobody based in Edinburgh is going to go to Dumfries over the nearer options that are just as good or better. End of.  

Yes, via England. What's the issue here?

I never argued the merits, or otherwise, of going to Dumfries.

Really? Imo one of the great pleasures in life is going for a few beers before and after the match. Once I’m through the turnstiles it’s the game I’m interested in, plenty of time for a drink after.
As I said in my original post, maybe we’re spoiled at Arbroath having quite a few decent pubs very close to Gayfield.
We did, until 3 or 4 seasons ago, have a bar in the stand and I quite liked having a pint in there before kick off and it gave a bit of money to the club, but it was a proper bar with glasses and a choice of drinks. If alcohol was brought back in Scottish grounds then I’m sure it would be expensive, sh1t quality lager in plastic cups like down south.
Is that worth getting worked up about for the sake of a couple of hours?
The point of my original post re drinking at or near the ground was only to inform a foreign individual the difference between most European countries football experience as opposed to ours. Folk as usual just getting on thier fucking high horses.

Arbroath has the most coastal stadium in world football (certainly in Scotland, but unless there's a team in fucking Atlantis then it's the world too) and is probably the most idiosyncratic match day experience. It will be windy, for instance, and this can impact the football. I love it.

Arbroath has smokies (smoked fish) which are divine and, crucially, their steak and black pudding pie is the best pie I've ever had at the football.

It is an absolutely gorgeous train journey from Edinburgh too.

Enjoy.

I almost forgot, my team have a cool Swedish link in that Djugaardens played the home leg of their European Cup semi final at our ground (Firhill) as their pitch was frozen.