Best Scottish football experience

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

.  Also, if you can’t go around 2 hours without a drink then you may have a problem.

Moronic bullshit that only utter morons say whenever this topic is brought up.

On 27/04/2022 at 19:58, Scary Bear said:

Come to Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy. It’s the business.

E3F33225-2FDC-48FB-B70E-C446DBBBD576.jpeg

Nice photo that ... a mix of the old and new aspects of Scottish stadium.  Always liked a visit to Starks Park.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Moronic bullshit that only utter morons say whenever this topic is brought up.

Really? Imo one of the great pleasures in life is going for a few beers before and after the match. Once I’m through the turnstiles it’s the game I’m interested in, plenty of time for a drink after.

As I said in my original post, maybe we’re spoiled at Arbroath having quite a few decent pubs very close to Gayfield.

We did, until 3 or 4 seasons ago, have a bar in the stand and I quite liked having a pint in there before kick off and it gave a bit of money to the club, but it was a proper bar with glasses and a choice of drinks. If alcohol was brought back in Scottish grounds then I’m sure it would be expensive, sh1t quality lager in plastic cups like down south.

Is that worth getting worked up about for the sake of a couple of hours?

Palmerston Park (Queen of the South) - The Matchday Man

Hi Ola - I'm a bit biased being a Queen of the South supporter - but a trip down to Dumfries would be a nice day out for you and your family.  Palmerston Park is very much an old style Scottish football stadium, the like of which is fast disappearing now and the town of Dumfries is pleasant (the final resting place of Scotland's national poet Robert Burns).  That said, it is about a 90 minutes drive south of Edinburgh and perhaps too far for you, but you can stop off at Moffat on the way down through the Southern Uplands hills for lunch which is nice.

image.jpeg.7275fe2ad6e4dde064dc9c24bfd3c1df.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Really? Imo one of the great pleasures in life is going for a few beers before and after the match. Once I’m through the turnstiles it’s the game I’m interested in, plenty of time for a drink after.

As I said in my original post, maybe we’re spoiled at Arbroath having quite a few decent pubs very close to Gayfield.

We did, until 3 or 4 seasons ago, have a bar in the stand and I quite liked having a pint in there before kick off and it gave a bit of money to the club, but it was a proper bar with glasses and a choice of drinks. If alcohol was brought back in Scottish grounds then I’m sure it would be expensive, sh1t quality lager in plastic cups like down south.

Is that worth getting worked up about for the sake of a couple of hours?

Why does Gayfield sell pies etc during the game?

On 27/04/2022 at 10:07, Ola said:

Hi! I’m from Sweden and we will travel to Edinburgh for my dad’s 60th birthday in the fall. We will try to catch a few football games.

What teams/stadiums would you recommend in Edinburgh and around? We are looking for both  larger scale and smaller scale atmosphere in and around the stadium. So both bigger and smaller teams in the league are on the radar.

Ola,

I live in Edinburgh, despite my team up here being Ayr.

Would certainly recommend either Hearts or Hibs in Edinburgh when you're over. Hearts is probably the better atmosphere. Otherwise, grounds I would recommend within a relatively short drive/train of Edinburgh would include Alloa Athletic and Stenhousemuir (nice wee lower league clubs) , Dunfermline Athletic (although the legendary steak bakes are sadly a shadow of their former glory), Raith Rovers (about as far as you might wish to drive though) and non-league Berwick Rangers (lovely scenic train ride, interesting historical town too).  Stenhousemuir was always a decent away day too for some reason.

Would give Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers a miss (shite hole towns and rubbish grounds) and dodge Stirling Albion, Airdrie, Livingstone and Falkirk (soulless plastic modern grounds) if I were you.

Arbroath and Partick Thistle are two of our favourite away days - combination of good grounds and great local food (fish and chips and curry respectively) - but neither can remotely be regarded as handy for Edinburgh. 

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The fucking what?!

I'm a Londoner - and was writing for a Swede.

Okay your steak bridie was great but now only seem to contain a wipe of gravy and no meat. Maybe the ones in the town are better but in the ground they 'aint what they were.

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

17 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Ola,

I live in Edinburgh, despite my team up here being Ayr.

Would certainly recommend either Hearts or Hibs in Edinburgh when you're over. Hearts is probably the better atmosphere. Otherwise, grounds I would recommend within a relatively short drive/train of Edinburgh would include Alloa Athletic and Stenhousemuir (nice wee lower league clubs) , Dunfermline Athletic (although the legendary steak bakes are sadly a shadow of their former glory), Raith Rovers (about as far as you might wish to drive though) and non-league Berwick Rangers (lovely scenic train ride, interesting historical town too).  Stenhousemuir was always a decent away day too for some reason.

Would give Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers a miss (shite hole towns and rubbish grounds) and dodge Stirling Albion, Airdrie, Livingstone and Falkirk (soulless plastic modern grounds) if I were you.

Arbroath and Partick Thistle are two of our favourite away days - combination of good grounds and great local food (fish and chips and curry respectively) - but neither can remotely be regarded as handy for Edinburgh. 

They’d be better getting the train from Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy. Kirkcaldy is on the main line north and there are regular trains. Train goes across the Forth Bridge, so they’ll get some nice views there and from Aberdour onwards.

9E8E3A09-11FA-4A78-8944-F9506D7AEF70.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Okay your steak bridie was great but now only seem to contain a wipe of gravy and no meat. Maybe the ones in the town are better but in the ground they 'aint what they were.

That's better.

Actually I had one in the ground on Friday and it was absolutely tremendous. Probably the best one I've ever had.

4 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Agree. Don’t understand this idea that not being able to drink in a ground is a big deal.

Given the option of going to a local pub pre/post match and getting a decent pint and big choice of drinks or paying a premium for a watered down pint of ??? Most likely in a plastic tumbler at the ground - there’s only one winner.

Maybe we’re spoiled in Arbroath as I can think of at least a dozen decent pubs within a 10-15 walk of Gayfield.

The only reason I would drink in the ground would be to give £ to the club but give me a proper pub or club social-club any day.  Also, if you can’t go around 2 hours without a drink then you may have a problem.

Good post until the Last sentence

Thats missing the point spectacularly  

6 hours ago, Ola said:

What about games in towns near Edinburgh, f ex Dunfermline, Falkirk?

If you get lucky with the dates. Preston Athletic. £8 entry and you get a pie and can of T at half time. There are sandwiches and stuff available as well if you are feeling like you want more snacks.

3 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

If alcohol was brought back in Scottish grounds then I’m sure it would be expensive, sh1t quality lager in plastic cups like down south. 

In the EFL and National League that's the case, but you can drink pitch side up to National League North/South (comparable to SPFL Championship for attendances), and many clubs at that level have the bar inside the stadium, meaning you get a full selection of drinks and can lean on the pitch surround supping them during the match. It's honestly brilliant.

11 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

In the EFL and National League that's the case, but you can drink pitch side up to National League North/South (comparable to SPFL Championship for attendances), and many clubs at that level have the bar inside the stadium, meaning you get a full selection of drinks and can lean on the pitch surround supping them during the match. It's honestly brilliant.

I see no reason why this shouldnt be allowed at the majority of scottish games

14 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

It's a beefy bake and no mistake.

15 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Why does Gayfield sell pies etc during the game?

Presumably because the Arbroath board believe that there is sufficient demand for the range of food and drinks that they offer for sale.

4 minutes ago, A96 said:

Presumably because the Arbroath board believe that there is sufficient demand for the range of food and drinks that they offer for sale.

If people can't go a couple of hours without eating then they have a problem.

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If people can't go a couple of hours without eating then they have a problem.

Yes.   Binge Eating Disorder.   Apparently around 1 in 50 people suffer from this.  

So maybe about 30 people in a typical crowd at Gayfield.

Highly unlikely that everyone in the crowd who chooses to buy food suffers from BED though.

Edited by A96