Best Scottish football experience

Hi! I’m from Sweden and we will travel to Edinburgh for my dad’s 60th birthday in the fall. We will try to catch a few football games.

What teams/stadiums would you recommend in Edinburgh and around? We are looking for both  larger scale and smaller scale atmosphere in and around the stadium. So both bigger and smaller teams in the league are on the radar.

Edited by Ola

Hi! I’m from Sweden and we will travel to Edinburgh for my dad’s 60th birthday in the fall. We will try to catch a few football games.
What teams/stadiums would you recommend in Edinburgh and around? We are looking for both  larger scale and smaller scale atmosphere in and around the stadium. So both bigger and smaller teams in the league are on the radar.
Tyncastle is a stunning stadium (Hearts). See if you can visit there. Murrayfield is probably the nicest stadium in Scotland, though rugby. Not sure if they do tours.

Agree with Tynecastle, it's a great stadium where you feel like you're on top of the park watching the game. Easter Road is good too, but I prefer Tynecastle. If you're going further afield and want to do a day in Glasgow, I'd recommend a visit to Hampden Park.

2 hours ago, Ola said:

East End Park. North West stand. Steak Bridie.

Perfektion

Excellent, thanks! Both the gos and no-gos are useful [emoji4]

https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com/

Really good website there of the fixtures on that day. Obviously refresh the link nearer the time. Get yourself to some right low league grounds. The football is usually cracking value for money.

Its nothing like other countries, no such things as fanzones beside the ground as the government think we can't be trusted. Sorry they can't trust the west side of Scotland. Unless you find a pub near the ground there is, nothing else.
That and Scottish footballs insistance on playing all levels of football at or around 3pm on a Saturday. Again in Europe you can watch different league in differing days. You'd have to watch for ant games moved to either a Sunday in the top league, which you'd probably never get a ticket for or the lower league Friday night TV match.

Almost any of the old grounds which have not been demolished or extensively converted into quasi industrial complexes and preferably where you are not forcibly confined to the same site for the duration of the entertainment.  Still plenty around but get along before they vanish eg Morton, Ayr, Stranraer, QoS, Albion R, Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Arbroath, Forfar, Montrose, Brechin, Raith, Elgin, etc.  Add in decent views/surroundings eg Gayfield, Recs,

Its nothing like other countries, no such things as fanzones beside the ground as the government think we can't be trusted. Sorry they can't trust the west side of Scotland. Unless you find a pub near the ground there is, nothing else.
That and Scottish footballs insistance on playing all levels of football at or around 3pm on a Saturday. Again in Europe you can watch different league in differing days. You'd have to watch for ant games moved to either a Sunday in the top league, which you'd probably never get a ticket for or the lower league Friday night TV match.

Can’t be the only one thinking these are positives rather than negatives?

37 minutes ago, Ola said:

What about games in towns near Edinburgh, f ex Dunfermline, Falkirk?

Both ourselves and Dunfermline have been disgustingly bad this season so it would not have been entertaining, let's put it that way.

If the Pars screw up the playoffs and get relegated then the games next season might be quite something if we are battling for the title!

We've got Kelpies and a Big Wheel, they've got the tomb of King Robert the Bruce if you want to do some visiting though.

55 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Can’t be the only one thinking these are positives rather than negatives?

Agree. Don’t understand this idea that not being able to drink in a ground is a big deal.

Given the option of going to a local pub pre/post match and getting a decent pint and big choice of drinks or paying a premium for a watered down pint of ??? Most likely in a plastic tumbler at the ground - there’s only one winner.

Maybe we’re spoiled in Arbroath as I can think of at least a dozen decent pubs within a 10-15 walk of Gayfield.

The only reason I would drink in the ground would be to give £ to the club but give me a proper pub or club social-club any day.  Also, if you can’t go around 2 hours without a drink then you may have a problem.