Scotlands games to be broadcast on Nordic streaming platform.

Lofarl

It's becoming a bit of a farce the number of different services you'd have to have in order to watch Scottish football. Would be great if those running the game recognised this and said that regardless of the money on offer, there will be a maximum of say 2 broadcasters able to show scottish football. Would probably drive the bidding up too.
Appreciate this is UEFA but just another hoop fans need to jump through. 

It would be ideal but the problem is that there’s different governing bodies selling the rights to each competition:

Scottish FA: Scottish Cup
SPFL: League fixtures and League Cup
UEFA: Internationals and European club competitions

At the moment, all domestic Scottish football (under control of SFA/SPFL) is shown across two paid services with a decent amount of FTA games too. It’s unfortunate that UEFA have so much control over the other rights.

It should also be said that we can’t force broadcasters to bid for rights that they have no interest in paying for and showing. I have no idea how much appetite there was from Sky to keep the rights but given the effort put into their output for Scotland games, it would hardly be surprising if they were happy to let the games go.

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I think it's unlikely these won't be broadcast in some way or the other. If nobody else buys them, which I still think is unlikely given that it's right up the street of cowboys like Premier Sports, then I'm sure the SFA will buy them to broadcast on their YouTube channel or something like that.

What was the last qualifier (not against England or the Serbia play-off) that was on free to view? I seem to remember the 2014 qualification away games being on the BBC?

Suppose my follow-up would be what was our last home game not on Sky? I can't remember any.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

What was the last qualifier (not against England or the Serbia play-off) that was on free to view? I seem to remember the 2014 qualification away games being on the BBC?

Suppose my follow-up would be what was our last home game not on Sky? I can't remember any.

Our last home game on free TV was the qualifier vs England in 2017. That was on STV thanks to ITV having the England rights (but it was also on Sky as well). 

The last home game not on Sky at all…pass. But it’ll almost certainly be the mid-90s.

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

Our last home game on free TV was the qualifier vs England in 2017. That was on STV thanks to ITV having the England rights (but it was also on Sky as well). 

The last home game not on Sky at all…pass. But it’ll almost certainly be the mid-90s.

The Latvia game was live on council telly. The one that got us qualified for WC98. I don't think any of the Euro 2000 qualifiers were.

9 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Realise it's the Record, so not expecting full accuracy. But not being able to read a basic fixture-list such as this is pretty poor.

"Scotland face Armenia in Yerevan on June 8 and Ireland in Dublin on June 11."

Updated_fixtures.jpg

15 hours ago, Satoshi said:

It's a rubbish deal but it shouldn't be a surprise that England remain on terrestrial TV, their audience is more than 10x Scotland and more than 5x all the other home nations put together, they will always (rightly) get far more interest.

Of course, but I would assume the rights for England games are priced accordingly. No reason that channel 4 or any other public/terrestrial broadcaster presumably would be getting any less 'value' from any other home nations package. 

It’s a fucking joke our games are going to be behind a paywall 

Its bad enough out domestic game gets treated as the sideshow by UK broadcasters, but now our national teams will be

I wonder if any other countries have a similar set up for its national game 

Edited by Clown Job

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:
It’s a fucking joke our games are going to be behind a paywall 

Its bad enough out domestic game gets treated as the sideshow by UK broadcasters, but now our national teams will be

I wonder if any other countries have a similar set up for its national game 

Shite isn't it.

Jesus wept, I knew this new TV deal had the waft of Setanta about it but even by our standards this would be a rapid shift from deal done to utter shambles. As [mention=11624]craigkillie[/mention] alluded to, certainly can't rule out the usual pish journalism but we're currently looking at the Daily Record spouting shite or a massive f**k-up from someone in charge of Scottish football. Talk about the toss of a coin

On 28/04/2022 at 20:42, velo army said:

The Latvia game was live on council telly. The one that got us qualified for WC98. I don't think any of the Euro 2000 qualifiers were.

I want to say we had some away qualifiers on channel 5 at one point. Possibly the 2002 World Cup qualifiers. I think we won 1-0 in Latvia. 

I want to say we had some away qualifiers on channel 5 at one point. Possibly the 2002 World Cup qualifiers. I think we won 1-0 in Latvia. 

I remember watching the Belgium away game from the same group on channel 5.
Wiki says the away leg of the Euro 2004 play-off against Netherlands was on channel 5 as well.

Our stunning victory in the 2006 Kirin Cup was on the BBC IIRC.