Scotlands games to be broadcast on Nordic streaming platform.

Lofarl

"It comes through UEFA’s centralised National Association media rights sales process, under which UEFA takes sole responsibility for the marketing and sales of broadcast rights for all 55 European nations’ matches, with each nation guaranteed a set amount as a result of the centralised approach."

Weirdly the SFA not behind it.

Does this mean that Sky were outbid for the Scotland, Wales and NI packages by this new mob? Maybe Sky's deep pockets are getting shallower or they generally don't give a f**k.

In any case, the fragmentation of what we used to call "TV" is getting to the ridiculous stage now - how many separate subscriptions will people be prepared to put up with? It can't be far from saturation point where things begin to consolidate again.

That’s another streaming service I won’t be paying for 

Our rights have been sold to a broadcaster that doesn’t yet exists, that we don’t know what they’ll be showing for a price that hasn’t yet been decided 

Total joke of a system we have. 

6FA74211-92FB-43D2-81EA-0BD2A9E324BD.jpeg

Edited by Clown Job

15 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

"It comes through UEFA’s centralised National Association media rights sales process, under which UEFA takes sole responsibility for the marketing and sales of broadcast rights for all 55 European nations’ matches, with each nation guaranteed a set amount as a result of the centralised approach."

Weirdly the SFA not behind it.

The SFA haven't sold the rights to competitive Scotland games for nearly 10 years now.

UEFA centralised them from the Euro 2016 qualifiers (2014) onwards, with the individual FAs getting a negotiated settlement from each rights round.

The wording of the statement, with several mentions of it being UEFA, suggests the SFA aren't too happy. Same with the quote from Ian Maxwell - a distinct lack of the stock "we are delighted" in there.

Edited by The Master

1 minute ago, mozam76 said:

Will one of the more traditional broadcasters i.e. STV or BBC Scotland, be able to "sub let" the rights from Viaplay if they so wished? 

Depends on what this mobs business model is. Isn't that what used to happen with the Champions League rights?

1 minute ago, OSP said:

Depends on what this mobs business model is. Isn't that what used to happen with the Champions League rights?

ITV/STV's Champions League rights used to be bought directly from UEFA.

Sub-licensing of rights is relatively rare these days. The highest profile example is the BBC sub-licensing the rights to the Olympics from Discovery. 

Notice that this deal only starts with the 2026 Qualifiers. 

The upcoming Nations League games and 2024 qualifiers are still to be settled. Which is maybe part of the reason they ditched the idea of the Ukraine game being doubled up, because Sky have the rights to the play-offs and someone else yet to be announced has the rights to the Nations League. 

I wonder what the maximum audience for this type of thing is in Scotland currently - an "unknown" provider, streaming only.

It feels like this would rule more people out of watching live games than should be acceptable for the national team.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I'm not a massive fan of streaming football matches, because Livescore invariably knows if there has been a goal about a minute before it happens on the stream. That drives me crazy.

On the other hand I finally gave up on Sky Sports at the end of last year, and have no will to sign up for another 18 months, so I'll have to buy Now TV passes for games anyway. If this is cheaper than that then I have no complaints. 

Overall it might not be great for the national game, though, as it will undoubtedly mean much lower viewing figures and exposure. 

Of course the companies that used to have the rights will be reducing their charges in order to reflect the reduction in service for Scotland. 

Aye, so they will. 🙄

We already have Sky, BT and "terrestrial".  Mrs Salt n Vinegar has Amazon Prime, but that was more for on line shopping (she tells me!) We didn't get Premier and I'll not be taking on any more subscriptions. 

If it's a couple of quid for a game, I'll think about it, but we pay a fortune each month as it is. Fans being exploited again.  Just about every household in the country is looking at cutting expenditure, a situation that's hardly likely to be short term, and I have a feeling (and a hope) that these big media companies take a hit too. 

And yes, I can confirm that I'm a bit of a grumpy b@st@rd this morning.