East Fife vs Cove

So here we are, the last game of the season; it means nothing to either except some pride. Hopefully the Cove players are sobering up about now and will be ready for action on Saturday.

East Fife sadly will drop down to L2 after 6 years at this level. Found goals hard to come by since the start of the year. Just 1 goal in their last 8 games. A rebuild is on the cards in order to try and bounce back up. I suspect it will be a completely different looking EF side next season.

This will be tinged with some sadness as it's Harry's last game for us. I suspect a few others will be in the same boat, just not the high profiled players hopefully. We'll see some changes to the starting XI I'm sure although it's a battle between Rory and Mitch for top league scorer so neither will be wanting to sit on the bench.

East Fife are the last league side to beat us when they blew us away in Mid-October with a stunning first half performance. Connell and Mercer's goals especially were top drawer. I'm sure the away side will be looking for some revenge and to rectify the previous encounter.

Cove fans travelling down by bus will be in fancy dress - you've been forewarned! I'll be there but not via the supporters bus and not in fancy dress 

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

East Fife are the last league side to beat us when they blew us away in Mid-October with a stunning first half performance. Connell and Mercer's goals especially were top drawer. I'm sure the away side will be looking for some revenge and to rectify the previous encounter.

Absolutely mental to think that actually happened, given what's taken place since.

To be fair, we've picked up a habit of being the catalyst to propel teams to the league. Partick went on their insane run last season after fighting back from 2-0 down to nick a point at Bayview last season. 

Pity none of that actually rubbed off on us.

Cove rest a few players today; no Rory, Fyvie, Vigurs, Logan and Strachan is still out with an achilles issue which has blighted him all season.

Lineup below. Could or should be Leighton and Masson's last game as both soon out of contract and not guaranteed to be offered new deals, especially the former.

We can only name 3 players on the bench today.

Blair will slot into RWB and Scully will play in his natural position of DCM. Both Leitch and Masson will want to play higher up the pitch and won't offer much protection to the back line.

Screenshot_20220430-140251.jpg

Screenshot_20220430-141111.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Must admit started to feel very much  like déjà vu until the Mitch penalty conversion. 

As I've said many times this season outside our best XI we've got little to no depth. Masson, Leitch and Leighton are poor alternatives and have offered next to nothing.

East Fife winning a lot of 2nd balls in the first half, look controlled in their shape but also have an outball in Connell who is finding some space. Great curling finish for his goal although Morgyn Neill stood flat footed and didn't even challenge.

McKenzie howler was a gift for Denholm for East Fife's opener.

12 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Well done on remaining undefeated. When I heard East Fife were leading , I have to say I was delighted! Montrose here we come 

Half an hour in it definitely didn't look on the cards. The penalty got us a foothold in the game and the second half we were fairly clinical. Without  4 key players, the team struggled and it highlighted the need to strengthen the depth.

Credit to East Fife though they didn't look like a team not playing for anything. Against us this season they seem to have upped their game as it's always been competitive. Scored more goals against us than anyone else (10). That's a third of the total goals we've conceded all season!

All the best on Tuesday night