Jump to content

Squads of horror


Recommended Posts

 

Should probably have time limited it to narrow it down but wanted to get across the full 30-odd years I’ve been going so have some names that have scarred since childhood… deliberately haven’t looked at other Thistle fans lists so will no doubt smack myself on the forehead when I read through the thread.

The starting points were the 97-99, 04-06 and 2018-20 periods with a few assorted diddies from other eras. Had a minimum number of games of 5* which eliminated a load of the junior jobbers Lambie signed in 1999 who in the pre transfer window era had been punted back to the juniors by September

Keepers: Cammy Bell, Bryn Halliwell, Colin Stewart

Defenders: Bryan Purdie, Kenny Brannigan, Darren Cole, Sean McGinty, Milan Nitrianksy, Sandy Hodge, Lee O’Connor

Midfielders: Brice Ntambwe, Darren Brady, Martin Woods, Harry Curran

Attacking Mids / Wingers: Jack Storer, Kal Naismith, Sean Kilgannon, Miles Storey

“””Strikers””” : Willie Callaghan, Jorge Cadete, Stevie Nicholas, Mark McWalter

Astounded that Naismith might be in the EPL next year albeit in a different position, he was dreadful and with a terrible attitude to boot and I assumed his next step after leaving Ibrox would be non-league. Fair play to him for turning it round I guess.

Sean Kilgannon is one where everyone who’s ever seen him play for whatever club just nods, agrees and moves on. Insane that he has an EPL appearance.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned Nicholas for us and he never really crops up in these lists, but he played 32 (thirty two) times for us in the third tier as a striker / winger with no goals and probably not many assists.

Indeed all 4 of the hotshots listed above combined for zero competitive goals over around 80 competitive games.

*Amazingly Cadete played 6 times, thought he played twice.

Edited by Fuctifano
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Fulton was unfit and couldn't keep up with the pace by the time he joined us.  Anis is literally the worst defender I have seen in a Jags shirt. I remember him running around like a child chasing the ball and constantly being caught out of position. He did have attacking attributes and probably should have been a winger, but he predominately played in defence for us, where he was awful. Having watched most of a truly terrible season, I did manage to miss the 5-0 thrashing of Livingston when he was apparently unplayable.

Anis had two good games for us, his debut in the infamous pre season friendly vs Ayr where the entire team looked like Brazil 1970, and that game (which was 5-2, Livi scored twice quite late on to the point folk were maybe thinking 5-5 was on). 

He put in a cross for one of the goals which was like peak Beckham, was unstoppable for 60 minutes then hurt himself trying an overhead kick and got stretchered off. Some boy. 

Agree about Santala, he would be far closer to a cult heroes team than a diddies one. He scored 11 goals from 23 games FFS despite looking as if he'd never played football half the time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/04/2022 at 14:09, oneteaminglasgow said:

Obviously there’s a bit of recency bias in there, and I only started going very regularly from the title winning season onwards, but here we go. I’ve also tried to exclude guys who made one appearance and disappeared or youth players who never made it. 

Goalkeepers: Thorsten Stuckmann, Cammy Bell, Bryn Halliwell

Defence: Darren Cole, Gabriel Picollo, Sean McGinty, Danny Devine, Tommy Robson, Tam O’Ware, Milan Ntriansky, Jake Carroll, Max Melbourne

Midfield: Martin Woods (coincidentally my least favourite ever Thistle player), Rafa De Vita, Jake Hastie, Jamie Barjonas,  Brice Ntambwe, Miles Storey, Jack Storer

Forwards: Nathan Ecclestone, Stevie Lennon, Ally Roy

From this season, I have a feeling that Juan Alegria will be cementing his place in this squad quite soon.

I’d also say that out of this lot, Brice Ntambwe was the worst player, and indeed possibly the worst player to ever get half a season at this level. 

I'd add the following to your list -

Defenders - Sean McGinty, Ben Hall, Tam Scobbie

Midfield/wingers - Simon Colina, George Moncur, Mbuyi Mutombo, Mitch Austin, Antonio German, Shea Gordon

Forwards - Henoc Mukendi, Jason Banton, Jai Quitongo, Lewis Mansell, Alex Jones, Ross MacIver

 

Edited by Bishop Briggs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I'd add the following to your list -

Defenders - Sean McGinty, Ben Hall, Tam Scobbie

Midfield/wingers - Simon Colina, George Moncur, Mbuyi Mutombo, Mitch Austin, Antonio German, Shea Gordon

Forwards - Henoc Mukendi, Jason Banton, Jai Quitongo, Lewis Mansell, Alex Jones, Ross MacIver

 

I dunno. Quite a lot of them hardly played for us (I think Banton, Colina, German and Mukendi have about 8 minutes between then) so, while they were definitely pish I don’t think they can qualify for this.

My memory is that Moncur never played when he came and then turned out to be actually alright when he finally did on the last day of the season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

 

My memory is that Moncur never played when he came and then turned out to be actually alright when he finally did on the last day of the season. 

Yes, he even scored in that final game. Went on to have a decent career

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Michael W said:

I remember Wedderburn being subbed very quickly (possibly in a game against the Pars) because he was hopeless. Grant Murray brought himself on. I believe he also had a starring role in a 5-0 thumping away to Morton, but thankfully I wasn't there to see it. 

Bryce just goes in because of the "Git Bryce oan" shouts, tbh. 

Yep, quite a few of the Raith guys that have been mentioned - the likes of Bryce, Wedderburn, Evans, Dingwall - fall into the category of players that were promoted from the youth or reserve teams (or signed from the junior leagues as they were then) only for it to quickly become apparent they weren't going to make the grade. 

In a similar vein to the "get Bryce on" shouts, I also remember folk (including myself) desperate for Yaw Osei to get game time in the Gary Locke/John Hughes season after he was banging the goals in for the reserves. When he finally came on in the 0-4 thrashing away to Dumbarton, he looked completely out of his depth and if I remember rightly only played a handful more games for the first team before being released. Although to be fair, coming into a rotten team heading for relegation is not the best way to build one's confidence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been going since the early 90s so this probably merits a dissertation rather than a half-arsed post. Anyhow…

Goalkeepers: Bryn Halliwell, Colin Stewart and David Klein.

Defenders: Grant Murray, Kenny Brannigan, Sean McGinty, Gabriel Piccalo, Darren Cole, Max Melbourne and Tam Scobbie.

Midfielders: Sean Kilgannon, Andy Ross, Stuart Taylor, Mark Kerr, Stevie Fulton, Darian McKinnon and Martin Woods.

Strikers: Stephane Bonnes, Steven Lennon, Jorge Cadette, Stephen McConalogue, John Baird, and John Gemmil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Michael W said:

I remember Wedderburn being subbed very quickly (possibly in a game against the Pars) because he was hopeless. Grant Murray brought himself on. I believe he also had a starring role in a 5-0 thumping away to Morton, but thankfully I wasn't there to see it. 

Are you maybe thinking of Colin Wilson? He was pitched into a derby at East End for his debut, despite having a broken arm. He predictably had a bit of a nightmare and was hooked at half time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Are you maybe thinking of Colin Wilson? He was pitched into a derby at East End for his debut, despite having a broken arm. He predictably had a bit of a nightmare and was hooked at half time. 

It is possible that I am getting things wrong, but I am almost certain the game I'm thinking of was at Stark's Park. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kuma Power said:

Yep, quite a few of the Raith guys that have been mentioned - the likes of Bryce, Wedderburn, Evans, Dingwall - fall into the category of players that were promoted from the youth or reserve teams (or signed from the junior leagues as they were then) only for it to quickly become apparent they weren't going to make the grade. 

In a similar vein to the "get Bryce on" shouts, I also remember folk (including myself) desperate for Yaw Osei to get game time in the Gary Locke/John Hughes season after he was banging the goals in for the reserves. When he finally came on in the 0-4 thrashing away to Dumbarton, he looked completely out of his depth and if I remember rightly only played a handful more games for the first team before being released. Although to be fair, coming into a rotten team heading for relegation is not the best way to build one's confidence.

I would agree with this. Including youth graduates who never made the grade seems a bit harsh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/04/2022 at 13:40, Slipmat said:

As the season draws to a close I would like to congratulate Niyah Joseph, Innes Cameron and Ben Liddle on their inclusion in my own personal "Worst Players I've Ever Seen In A QOS Shirt" squad.  They've beaten off a lot of tough competition, but I think they deserve their places on merit.

The squad currently consists of:

GKs  -  Derrick Hoy, Rikki Fergusson, Archie McLean

DFs  -  John Gamble, Mark Campbell, Alan Gillespie, Chris Carr, Tom McDonald, David Smyth, Stuart Hill 

Mids  -  Tony Nelson, John Pelosi, Jake Pickard, Tom Parratt, Niyah Joseph, Stephen Simmons, Ben Liddle

Fwds  -  Emilio Jaconelli, Chris "even worse than Tam Brighton" Armstrong, John Dickson, Paul Heffernan, Innes Cameron

As a disclaimer I realise that there are a vast number of players that I've probably forgotten about or was never unlucky enough to witness in action for Queens who could probably displace some of the above, and as a point of reference my first match was in 1979 and I didn't attend many games in the 1990s, but I'm welcome to suggestions from Queens fans of other fuds you think should be included.

So people, who would make your own gash 22 at your club?

A LOT of Kilmarnock influence in this forward line...

Can I ask what went wrong with Cameron?  It definitely feels like he's had a number of chances now at various clubs at this level - and with the exception of some against the odds good performances with Alloa last season he's largely been found wanting.  He was definitely one that most at RP were desperate to see succeed, and had a fantastic game in the derby at the beginning of the season - not sure it looks like he'll grow into the team again however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was really tough, and there will be loads that I’ve forgotten about.

Goalkeepers: Ryan Scully, Sam Ramsbottom

Defence: Stephen Frail, Dylan Kerr, Anton Smith, Chris McLeod, Kevin McCann, Marc Fitzpatrick, Jonathan Page, Darren Cole.

Midfield: John Gibson, Darren Kearney, Colin Reilly, Ross MacLean,  Kieran McAnespie, Derek Young, Tony Wallace, Jake Nicholson, David Robertson, Dylan Dykes.

Attack: Kevin Kelbie, Jonathan Toto, Ian Ferguson.

Shout out to some of the many who didn’t quite make the cut:

Stefan Gonnet, Colin Stewart, Andrew Dallas, Stephen McConalogue, Colin McMenamin, Andy Barrowman, Artur Correia, Shaun Dillon, Grant Evans, Jamie McCormack, Andy Millen, Gregor Buchanan, Sean McGinty, Kabba Cham, Scott McLaughlin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Kuma Power said:

Yep, quite a few of the Raith guys that have been mentioned - the likes of Bryce, Wedderburn, Evans, Dingwall - fall into the category of players that were promoted from the youth or reserve teams (or signed from the junior leagues as they were then) only for it to quickly become apparent they weren't going to make the grade. 

In a similar vein to the "get Bryce on" shouts, I also remember folk (including myself) desperate for Yaw Osei to get game time in the Gary Locke/John Hughes season after he was banging the goals in for the reserves. When he finally came on in the 0-4 thrashing away to Dumbarton, he looked completely out of his depth and if I remember rightly only played a handful more games for the first team before being released. Although to be fair, coming into a rotten team heading for relegation is not the best way to build one's confidence.

I’d forgotten all about Yaw Osei. Wonder where he is now. His Wiki page has him going to Berwick Rangers then nothing. Packed it in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

That was really tough, and there will be loads that I’ve forgotten about.

Goalkeepers: Ryan Scully, Sam Ramsbottom

Defence: Stephen Frail, Dylan Kerr, Anton Smith, Chris McLeod, Kevin McCann, Marc Fitzpatrick, Jonathan Page, Darren Cole.

Midfield: John Gibson, Darren Kearney, Colin Reilly, Ross MacLean,  Kieran McAnespie, Derek Young, Tony Wallace, Jake Nicholson, David Robertson, Dylan Dykes.

Attack: Kevin Kelbie, Jonathan Toto, Ian Ferguson.

Shout out to some of the many who didn’t quite make the cut:

Stefan Gonnet, Colin Stewart, Andrew Dallas, Stephen McConalogue, Colin McMenamin, Andy Barrowman, Artur Correia, Shaun Dillon, Grant Evans, Jamie McCormack, Andy Millen, Gregor Buchanan, Sean McGinty, Kabba Cham, Scott McLaughlin.

Disappointed with the omission of Donovan Simmonds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Toby said:

Disappointed with the omission of Donovan Simmonds.

I get the feeling I'm just going to be haunted by more players I'd forgotten about over the next few days. Adam Coakley, Jay Shields... I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night cause my brain has suddenly thrown up some other abomination into my nightmares. 

Simmonds might have challenged Kelbie's place in the squad. No-one could take Ferguson's place, though. I was a young teenager at the time, and I'd never seen a player before who had such a fundamental issue with being able to kick a ball - it's etched into my brain. I remember watching him warm up before a game at Ayr, and he never properly connected with a single shot. At the time I simply hadn't realised a player could be that bad. I think he left the club the following week. He'd go on to get more yellow and red cards than goals over the rest of his career. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...