Arbroath v Morton, 29 April

On 26/04/2022 at 12:48, lichtie23 said:

I believe Rab would become the oldest player to play in the Scottish league if he plays on Friday. Turned 50 this week. 

On 26/04/2022 at 12:51, Lichtie78 said:

Should defo bring him off the bench (at least!) in that case

23 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I say start him! 

He's probably still just as good as Gaston at a minimum IMO!

He'd break Bobby Geddes' record who only got a game because Rab Douglas was out injured, funnily enough.

Geddes was 49 when he set the record and put in a top effort and made several cracking saves but unfortunately we lost 1-0 away to Raith.

He's probably still just as good as Gaston at a minimum IMO!
He'd break Bobby Geddes' record who only got a game because Rab Douglas was out injured, funnily enough.
Geddes was 49 when he set the record and put in a top effort and made several cracking saves but unfortunately we lost 1-0 away to Raith.

Gaston is a top keeper.

I think we have to be very careful here on numerous counts.
Firstly we do not want to get beaten and going into the play-offs after 2 defeats on the trot, i remember years ago we had a similar so-called "meaningless" game before going into a 2 leg play-off games, we played nearly our reserve team and got humped at home and ended up going out of the play-off games and the Manager at the time went on record saying if he had the chance again he would have played a much stronger team in the final league game so to go into the play-offs on the back of a win.
If we have any injuries of course rest those players, also i am not sure how yellow card suspensions works going into the play-offs but that has to be taken into account also but apart from that i would play our strongest team and if we are looking okay then bring on the fringe players, 2 players i would deffo start with are Gavin Swankie (in case this is his last game in a Red Lichtie strip before retiring from the game) and Bobby Linn who will be itchining at the bit after getting no game time at Killie as i think he still has a part to play for us.
Hopefully we get a decent crowd as the supporters although on a downer after Killie should be coming out to applaud the team for what we have done up to now and the season is not finished yet.
C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.  

Yeah, you’re right. I also want to see a strong performance and a win. Antell is inevitable. Swankie is a must, maybe for an hour. I wonder if this could be Bobby’s last game too? I’d give Henderson a run out in his best position at centre back. It would be useful to see Ford and Bakare given a chance unless Dick has already written them both off.

1 hour ago, stan3600 said:

Gaston is a top keeper.

I was just being hyperbolic in that I still think Rab will be more than decent at this level. Pace, kicking and reflexes weren't his game really. It was command of area, communication and organisation that made him really stand out which doesn't diminish as much with age!

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was just being hyperbolic in that I still think Rab will be more than decent at this level. Pace, kicking and reflexes weren't his game really. It was command of area, communication and organisation that made him really stand out which doesn't diminish as much with age!

If by 'being hyperbolic' you mean 'talking utter shite' - sure. 

34 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ verge of tears

Another howler to add to your 'Barry Smith - World's Greatest Football Manager' curation of fail.

Already told you to f**k up m8 but if you insist on continuing at least come up with patter that isn't more than a decade old.

I think we may as well use our best starting XI unless any have minor knocks or other issues.  We need to get back on the horse after last week’s setback. There’s almost a fortnight until we play next and perhaps advisable to keep the well-tuned engine ticking over, to mix metaphors.  After this we would face a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 games, all mentally demanding like last week’s, so let’s keep the good habit/good vibe going.  Maybe consider more liberal and earlier use of subs to keep things fresh, reduce risk.  Mind you, most recent Arbroath-Morton games have been close fought and often attritional so, despite nothing at stake, maybe no reason to expect different

The playoff fixtures - all workdays - are tough on a part-time squad but we’ve shown good fitness levels in games so while undoubtedly disadvantaged, might not suffer unduly.

Edited by farflung lichtie

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Derek Gaston was better than Rab Douglas 10 years ago.

That's plenty.

ETA: Actually, that's quite possible, I was thinking 10 year ago would've been the Deefiant season but it would've been the season we were in the top flight. Probably the season too far for him at the top level of Scottish football, but then again the defence we had was absolutely chronic that year and he was a high point when not overly exposed.

Edited by Ludo*1

2 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

I think we may as well use our best starting XI unless any have minor knocks or other issues.  We need to get back on the horse after last week’s setback. There’s almost a fortnight until we play next and perhaps advisable to keep the well-tuned engine ticking over, to mix metaphors.  After this we would face a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 games, all mentally demanding like last week’s, so let’s keep the good habit/good vibe going.  Maybe consider more liberal and earlier use of subs to keep things fresh, reduce risk.  Mind you, most recent Arbroath-Morton games have been close fought and often attritional so, despite nothing at stake, maybe no reason to expect different

The playoff fixtures - all workdays - are tough on a part-time squad but we’ve shown good fitness levels in games so while undoubtedly disadvantaged, might not suffer unduly.

Campbell stating that the likes of Linn, Swankie & Gold will all start in today's Courier.