Arbroath v Morton, 29 April

Now that the dust has settled a bit after Friday, is it time to talk about this yet?

I want us to try 100% to win every game but we really need to rest a good few players for this and wrap them in cotton wool for the playoffs.

Not sure if anyone picked up any significant injuries v Killie but obviously Gaston needs rested. Craigen could barely run when he was subbed and I’d be tempted to rest Low, Chris Hamilton, one or both of Little/TOB (half a game each perhaps?) and Jack Hamilton. Bring in JT, Henderson, Gold, Hilson (if fit), Wighton and Antell with significant game time for Ford, Bakare, Linn, and most definitely a well deserved appearance from Swankie at some point in what could well be his last game for us. Not sure if I’d rest Stewart or McKenna, again maybe a half each.

This may all be conjecture though depending on player availability.

Edited by Tattie36

Why would it be a laugh? Surely we’ve not seen enough of him to form that kind of opinion.
I thought he looked quite lively when he came on v Hibs.

Well so far he’s played 2 minutes against Hibs with us 3-1 down, and 15 minutes against Inverness when we were 3-0 down. So I’m going to say it’s safe to assume he’s not very good at football

It seems a long time since I've been to a game that is ultimately meaningless.

It's all about getting fringe players a run out, imo. It's difficult for us to do that with our back line but the midfield and attack can be freshened up and we should give starts to Ford and Bakare, if only to see if they can offer us anything in the playoffs.

Will there be a big crowd for this game on Friday evening? I've felt like the season is over since the Killie game.

I guess Morton will want to get the 3 points that could move them up a place, depending on other results, whereas we retain second place whether we win, lose or draw, so it's hard to get excited about the game. 

It'll be interesting to see how we line up, I would expect some players to be rested but then again the manager might want to keep everyone sharp.

I'd be surprised if the Championship player of the year doesn't go to a player from a club in the west, just hope that it's Tiffoney and not Lafferty.

25 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Will there be a big crowd for this game on Friday evening? I've felt like the season is over since the Killie game.

I guess Morton will want to get the 3 points that could move them up a place, depending on other results, whereas we retain second place whether we win, lose or draw, so it's hard to get excited about the game. 

It'll be interesting to see how we line up, I would expect some players to be rested but then again the manager might want to keep everyone sharp.

I'd be surprised if the Championship player of the year doesn't go to a player from a club in the west, just hope that it's Tiffoney and not Lafferty.

I can’t see the crowd topping 2K after Fridays disappointment. 

We could set the all time league record for the club by not losing on Friday. We have never had a season with less than 6 defeats.
We could also equal our best ever league season of 18 clean sheets with one v Morton. Incidentally we could also equal our most ever League draws of 15.

If Imrie wanted to go wild with giving guys a chance, you could feasibly have a whole XI of youngsters who've been in squads and those who have found themselves not playing much aside from centre back:

Bysouth

Hynes - Ledger - McEntee - Russell

Lyon - Jacobs - King

McGrattan - Easdale - McGregor

In reality I expect five of them are (discounting Ledger and McEntee) in with a realistic shout of starting: Russell, Lyon, Jacobs, King and McGrattan, with some of them maybe getting decent game time off the bench rather than just 10-15 minutes. If we don't see Jacobs at any point I think we can fairly assume we'll be trying to move him on in the summer.

I think we have to be very careful here on numerous counts.

Firstly we do not want to get beaten and going into the play-offs after 2 defeats on the trot, i remember years ago we had a similar so-called "meaningless" game before going into a 2 leg play-off games, we played nearly our reserve team and got humped at home and ended up going out of the play-off games and the Manager at the time went on record saying if he had the chance again he would have played a much stronger team in the final league game so to go into the play-offs on the back of a win.

If we have any injuries of course rest those players, also i am not sure how yellow card suspensions works going into the play-offs but that has to be taken into account also but apart from that i would play our strongest team and if we are looking okay then bring on the fringe players, 2 players i would deffo start with are Gavin Swankie (in case this is his last game in a Red Lichtie strip before retiring from the game) and Bobby Linn who will be itchining at the bit after getting no game time at Killie as i think he still has a part to play for us.

Hopefully we get a decent crowd as the supporters although on a downer after Killie should be coming out to applaud the team for what we have done up to now and the season is not finished yet.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.  

23 minutes ago, Satans_Husband said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Campbell and Imrie had a chat before Friday and came to a gentlemen's agreement over how many youth players each side was going to field.

Then again, nothing surprises me. Nothing.

Arbroath don’t have any youth players. We have a squad of 20/21 and that’s it.