Celtic (Cavalier) vs Rangers (Tavernier)

Love the narrative that seems to be forming from Rangers fans (elsewhere) that they are a much better team than us.

The reality is there’s not much between the teams and we were better domestically over the course of a season.

Suck it up. Dry your eyes. etc etc

28 minutes ago, AJF said:

Thought defence to midfield we were the better team again, just missing a potent forward line. Morelos plays I think we win that match, but not much between the teams.

Sakala scoring against you is the ultimate badge of shame, albeit it was a good finish.

On to Thursday and bigger fish to fry.

Aye, but what about the statements?

31 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Love the narrative that seems to be forming from Rangers fans (elsewhere) that they are a much better team than us.

The reality is there’s not much between the teams and we were better domestically over the course of a season.

Suck it up. Dry your eyes. etc etc

Aye, agreed. Like you say, not much between the teams at all and consistency has won the league.

I think some are getting carried away, maybe on the back of the last result at Celtic Park.

We’ve played each other 5 times this season with 2 wins a piece and a draw. Very evenly matched, which is a shame (from our point of view) given the gulf between the teams under Lennon.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

6/10 effort, half hearted. Could do better.

Brethren/Bhoys and ghirls,

We at Ibrox/Celtic Park have been entrusted with a sacred mission, to cherish and uphold the traditions of our forefathers who fought in days of yore/wore the green in Dublin, to hand down to us, the chosen few/faithful through and through, the glory and honour of our great institutions, to which many aspire but few are admitted.

The dignity and decorum, not only of our guiding hands in the boardroom who are honoured to have been chosen for such a prestigious role, but also our fans in the stands who are renowned for their sportsmanship and football acumen, is acknowledged by all in sport, and indeed across wider society, and our teams are welcomed wherever they go, great ambassadors for Scotland/Ireland.

However, we must remain ever vigilant, aware that our enemies are ever ready to take advantage of any perceived weakness, and be on our guard to man the walls/barricades at a moment's notice should the need arise, and confound their nefarious/perfidious plots and schemes, which will, as always, come to nothing because of the loyalty of our staunch support/prayers of our Holy Father.

No Surrender/Tiocfaidh Ar La

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Brethren/Bhoys and ghirls,

We at Ibrox/Celtic Park have been entrusted with a sacred mission, to cherish and uphold the traditions of our forefathers who fought in days of yore/wore the green in Dublin, to hand down to us, the chosen few/faithful through and through, the glory and honour of our great institutions, to which many aspire but few are admitted.

The dignity and decorum, not only of our guiding hands in the boardroom who are honoured to have been chosen for such a prestigious role, but also our fans in the stands who are renowned for their sportsmanship and football acumen, is acknowledged by all in sport, and indeed across wider society, and our teams are welcomed wherever they go, great ambassadors for Scotland/Ireland.

However, we must remain ever vigilant, aware that our enemies are ever ready to take advantage of any perceived weakness, and be on our guard to man the walls/barricades at a moment's notice should the need arise, and confound their nefarious/perfidious plots and schemes, which will, as always, come to nothing because of the loyalty of our staunch support/prayers of our Holy Father.

No Surrender/Tiocfaidh Ar La

That would’ve been much better 😂

Love that

Edited by AJF

After seeing him play quite well again yesterday, I feel like Bassey is developing at an excellent rate. Arguably first choice at left centre back and left back now. Absolute unit and an engine on him as well.

We may struggle to hold on to him for long.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Thought defence to midfield we were the better team again, just missing a potent forward line. Morelos plays I think we win that match, but not much between the teams.

Sakala scoring against you is the ultimate badge of shame, albeit it was a good finish.

On to Thursday and bigger fish to fry.

This narrative tickles me, it’s disingenuous nonsense trying to deflect away from what is domestically a very poor season for Rangers.

As for the game we should have been out of sight by half time again the proverbial game of two halfs, we need to be more clinical especially if we want to do better in Europe

After seeing him play quite well again yesterday, I feel like Bassey is developing at an excellent rate. Arguably first choice at left centre back and left back now. Absolute unit and an engine on him as well.
I said yesterday, and Il stand by it, he will go on to a decent career in the EPL. He's everything they like in a defender in the English game.

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

Bassey is one we should be trying to tie down on a long term contract.  He's fast becoming one of our most saleable assets. 

20 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

This narrative tickles me, it’s disingenuous nonsense trying to deflect away from what is domestically a very poor season for Rangers.

As for the game we should have been out of sight by half time again the proverbial game of two halfs, we need to be more clinical especially if we want to do better in Europe

What narrative and what am I deflecting from exactly? You may disagree, but I felt we were the better team until you scored, then Celtic had us rattled. Second half we largely controlled.

So for about 65 of the 90, aye, I felt we were the better team.

This doesn’t forgive or excuse any of our results beforehand. So not sure what you’re getting at.

Edited by AJF

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
27 minutes ago, AJF said:

I said yesterday, and Il stand by it, he will go on to a decent career in the EPL. He's everything they like in a defender in the English game.

Aye, he fits the profile of a good EPL defender. He still has moments where he gets caught out, and I’m not sure that will ever leave him, but he has the physicality to recover well.

The blame on Celtic side seems to be getting directed at that “bhoys” group 

why where they next to the Rangers support aren’t they usually in the corner opposite the green brigade ? Also hear both groups had a wee pre match pavement dance aswell . Never knew they didn’t like each other 

Edited by Forever_blueco

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

What narrative and what am I deflecting from exactly? You may disagree, but I felt we were the better team until you scored, then Celtic had us rattled. Second half we largely controlled.

So for about 65 of the 90, aye, I felt we were the better team.

This doesn’t forgive or excuse any of our results beforehand. So not sure what you’re getting at.

The bigger fish to fry narrative, potentially winning the Europa League still doesn’t change the fact you are currently the 2nd best team in your own country and to an “unknown” manager with a team that is still very much a work in progress. Winning the league should always be the first and foremost and the foundation to build from for either of us.

If Rangers fail to win on Thursday the pressure on GVB to win the Scottish Cup is massive, failure to win that and the sharks start to circle and the fire sale begins.

And we obviously see the game differently, bar the Kent chance Rangers I felt didn’t threaten at all until they scored. It was a pretty comfortable afternoon until Sakala scored

Edited by Jinky67

Just now, Forever_blueco said:

The blame on Celtic side seems to be getting directed at that “bhoys” group 

why where they next to the Rangers support aren’t they usually in the corner opposite the green brigade ? Also hear both groups had a wee pre match pavement dance aswell . Never knew they didn’t like one and other 

I would doubt it’s them due to as you where they are situated in the ground. No matter who it was it’s embarrassing 

Just now, Jinky67 said:

The bigger fish to fry narrative, potentially winning the Europa League still doesn’t change the fact you are currently the 2nd best team in your own country and to an “unknown” manager with a team that is still very much a work in progress. 

If Rangers fail to win on Thursday the pressure on GVB to win the Scottish Cup is massive, failure to win that and the sharks start to circle and the fire sale begins.

And we obviously see the game differently, bar the Kent chance Rangers I felt didn’t threaten at all until they scored. It was a pretty comfortable afternoon until Sakala scored

It was a comment designed to get a nibble and I suppose it’s done it’s job. I don’t think you’ll find any Rangers fan that isn’t disappointed with how our league campaign has gone, but the fact of the matter is, Thursday is a much bigger game than yesterday in the context of our current season.

The league is done, so why wouldn’t we prioritise or view Thursday’s match as superior?

And like I said, you may disagree with my view, which is fine. I also agree that we struggled to create chances, hence my comment that I felt we’d have done better with Morelos in the side. We lacked that cutting edge.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think we were the better team for the majority of the match, though. Because we were.

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

It was a comment designed to get a nibble and I suppose it’s done it’s job. I don’t think you’ll find any Rangers fan that isn’t disappointed with how our league campaign has gone, but the fact of the matter is, Thursday is a much bigger game than yesterday in the context of our current season.

The league is done, so why wouldn’t we prioritise or view Thursday’s match as superior?

And like I said, you may disagree with my view, which is fine. I also agree that we struggled to create chances, hence my comment that I felt we’d have done better with Morelos in the side. We lacked that cutting edge.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think we were the better team for the majority of the match, though. Because we were.

Is it? I saw this narrative all over Twitter before the game saying it’s effectively a friendly, the game and league doesn’t matter. If Rangers won that yesterday I’m pretty sure you aren’t saying the league is done hence why I believe the suggestion to be disingenuous . Your manager pretty much echoed that sentiment by calling it a must win which they didn’t win

You can take positivity from performances however you haven’t been able to beat this team over 90 mins since August and that team was effectively kids and the remnants of the failed Lennon side of last season, if you can find the positive in that fair play to you but this is a Rangers team at the end of its cycle and likely to be broken up this summer.

And like I say if you happen to fail on Thursday then the pressure becomes massive and god forbid you fail to bet Hearts.

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Is it? I saw this narrative all over Twitter before the game saying it’s effectively a friendly, the game and league doesn’t matter. If Rangers won that yesterday I’m pretty sure you aren’t saying the league is done hence why I believe the suggestion to be disingenuous . Your manager pretty much echoed that sentiment by calling it a must win which they didn’t win

You can take positivity from performances however you haven’t been able to beat this team over 90 mins since August and that team was effectively kids and the remnants of the failed Lennon side of last season, if you can find the positive in that fair play to you but this is a Rangers team at the end of its cycle and likely to be broken up this summer.

And like I say if you happen to fail on Thursday then the pressure becomes massive and god forbid you fail to bet Hearts.

Of course it’s a bigger game. To suggest otherwise is foolish. Even if we’d won yesterday, to win the league would’ve required Celtic dropping points in 2 of their last 3 matches taking into account their vastly superior goal difference. Just isn’t going to happen.

You can call it disingenuous all you want, but the fact is that Thursday is a bigger game for us. Obviously, that is the case due to how our league campaign has played out, but it doesn’t change that fact which Celtic fans seem reluctant or unable to accept.

I’d have loved to be in a position where both matches were in equal measure. Sadly they weren’t.

Also it’s not exactly about taking positives, it’s just my opinion that we were the better team. No biggie if you disagree.

Edited by AJF