Completed your census form?

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't think this is the case.  There isn't some sort of organised campaign to discredit the SNP by refusing to fill out the census.  The rate of response seems lowest in Glasgow, which is an SNP council and, IIRC, has all SNP MPs and MSPs.

I'd also suggest that Glasgow is one of the places with a large and specific demographic who absolutely will weaponise anything they can associate with the SNP. You are correct that there doesn't appear to be any organised campaign of resistance, but things are so polarised politically that there doesn't really have to be one.

Part of it will be down to people in certain areas being more likely to be disengaged entirely due to socio-economic reasons, but I think it's naive to suggest that there is not a significant element that will not complete it purely as some sort of personal protest against 'that wummin' and 'the single party state' etc.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'd also suggest that Glasgow is one of the places with a large and specific demographic who absolutely will weaponise anything they can associate with the SNP. You are correct that there doesn't appear to be any organised campaign of resistance, but things are so polarised politically that there doesn't really have to be one.

Part of it will be down to people in certain areas being more likely to be disengaged entirely due to socio-economic reasons, but I think it's naive to suggest that there is not a significant element that will not complete it purely as some sort of personal protest against 'that wummin' and 'the single party state' etc.

If there is a significant element doing so, then there would be supporting evidence for it based on completion rates. The SNP not being universally popular/unpopular in every single area of Scotland. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

If there is a significant element doing so, then there would be supporting evidence for it based on completion rates. The SNP not being universally popular/unpopular in every single area of Scotland. 

Depends on how you are quantifying 'significant'.

Personally, I'd say that even 0.5% - 1% refusing to complete for political reasons across the entire nation is a 'significant' number, but that's not likely to stand out like a sore thumb when you start comparing one area to another, because it's still a small enough number that you could argue any regional/city discrepancy of that size being down to just about anything you choose.

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I would think large proportion of areas where English isn't spoken etc will be higher in Glasgow. And as you said the socio economic factors and related literacy rates.

I filled mine in as I don't see huge issue with it. Guy at work had knock on door, he'd genuinely just forgotten.

29 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I would think large proportion of areas where English isn't spoken etc will be higher in Glasgow. And as you said the socio economic factors and related literacy rates.

I filled mine in as I don't see huge issue with it. Guy at work had knock on door, he'd genuinely just forgotten.

I think it's because there are so many lazy, pig ignorant b*****ds in Glasgow. Mainly from the indigenous population.

I remember last census loads of temporary jobs were offered in Inverness delivering the forms and doing follow up visits, alongside loads of publicity. Looks like they thought they could do it nearly all online this time on the cheap, and it hasn't worked.

I don't think this is the case.  There isn't some sort of organised campaign to discredit the SNP by refusing to fill out the census.  The rate of response seems lowest in Glasgow, which is an SNP council and, IIRC, has all SNP MPs and MSPs.
The choobs I know refusing to complete it are giving that reason hence my response.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Depends on how you are quantifying 'significant'.

Personally, I'd say that even 0.5% - 1% refusing to complete for political reasons across the entire nation is a 'significant' number, but that's not likely to stand out like a sore thumb when you start comparing one area to another, because it's still a small enough number that you could argue any regional/city discrepancy of that size being down to just about anything you choose.

If it can't be picked up in the figures then it's clearly not 'significant'. 

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

If it can't be picked up in the figures then it's clearly not 'significant'. 

Or it could just be that the dispersion of Scotland's population is such that it would be impossible to detect any such thing in the vast majority of areas, yet in a large population centre like Glasgow a small percentage is still enough in terms of sheer numbers that it would actually register something is going on.

But as others have said, there are far more obvious issues to consider that would account for a large number of incomplete census forms in Glasgow itself, and nobody was implying that political objectors alone would be responsible for 25%+

Edited by Boo Khaki

15 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Or it could just be that the dispersion of Scotland's population is such that it would be impossible to detect any such thing in the vast majority of areas, yet in a large population centre like Glasgow a small percentage is still enough in terms of sheer numbers that it would actually register something is going on.

If it is so small that it can't be detected and measured anywhere in the country, it clearly isn't a significant causal explanation. 

Yet for some reason it has been the focus of this discussion, based on a mix of sketchy anecdotes and wishful thinking. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

If it is so small that it can't be detected and measured anywhere in the country, it clearly isn't a significant causal explanation. 

Yet for some reason it has been the focus of this discussion, based on a mix of sketchy anecdotes and wishful thinking. 

This discussion is on it's 8th page and it's been mentioned in barely a handful of posts.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Or, like the vaccine passport fiasco, it'll only guarantee to work if you use a smartphone. As long as that smartphone is no older than 2 years. The phone number you have to call when the website doesn't work will be manned by one person between the hours of 11:13 and 11:23 on Mondays and Fridays only (excluding bank holidays) and IF you get through the person will re-direct you back to the broken website. BUT the main thing is that @welshbairn will have experienced no personal problems accessing the site and therefore will be happy to conclude and insist that there's no issues.

I've clearly still not got over that incident. Still fucking raging. 😆

I believe that the administration of the vaccine passport had been tendered to one Div McDonald and St Mirren had lost that day... 

On 28/04/2022 at 22:49, oaksoft said:

Or, like the vaccine passport fiasco, it'll only guarantee to work if you use a smartphone. As long as that smartphone is no older than 2 years. The phone number you have to call when the website doesn't work will be manned by one person between the hours of 11:13 and 11:23 on Mondays and Fridays only (excluding bank holidays) and IF you get through the person will re-direct you back to the broken website. BUT the main thing is that @welshbairn will have experienced no personal problems accessing the site and therefore will be happy to conclude and insist that there's no issues.

I've clearly still not got over that incident. Still fucking raging. 😆

It wasn't just that I managed to negotiate the system, it was that everyone I know including everyone on here apart from you did. And at the same time you were saying you would never need the proof of vax anyway as you didn't go abroad or to anywhere that required one domestically.

Edited by welshbairn

The Tines is reporting that most of the census staff involved in collections have fixed term contracts due to end in May and the extension means they will need their contracts pushed out. Obviously if they don’t want to or have something else lined up that could negatively impact getting the responses in.