Completed your census form?

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You seem annoyed at the fact people haven't filled this out and want answers as to why, when the reality is this...

I'm 33 and this is the first census I've had to fill out myself. I didn't bother my arse with it until the other day, not because I hate the government but because I simply couldn't be arsed. 

Nah, not annoyed if people don't do it or not. Was joining in the discussion about it, seeing as this is a discussion forum.

I have done mine, and get a bit bemused as to why folk refuse to do it. For me this is as much a good tool for history as it is about current resource planning. These 10-yearly snapshots tell us much about the trends in normal life that show us how society is changing. 

Making it a political thing means that automatically you'll get folk who are against it. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

The swimming pool thing is a red herring. Not one question on what your favourite stroke is. 

If yer interested: Thatcher's

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Was there an issue with the previous few censuses? I don't recall folk complaining about it much, although maybe I missed that. Why are people so seemingly annoyed with it this time? 

There was a bit of a whinge about how many times Scotland appeared on the census this year by some absolute moonhowler Yoons. Scots appeared as a language along with English and Gaelic as a question in the census ten year ago without much fanfare but, again, it's a weird red rag for some Yoons this year. 

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Are you thinking that unless someone chaps your door to ask you to fill it out you don’t have to?
Like it or not you have to complete it.  You have been asked to.  It’s in the letter you and every other household gets.  If you don’t complete it you can be fined, no matter what you think.

That's literally the process for non completion, yes. I suspect it won't be a "chap at the door" directly, as you put it, but the process clearly states "If you do not fill in the census, a census officer will contact you and encourage you to complete it. They will help you access any support you need to fill in your form."

So the notion that if, like me, you have no letter and just had no clue it was happening you are getting a £1000 fine without any form of contact is, as I suspected the last time it was posted, complete pish, despite "what you think", good sir. [emoji6]

Anyway, I have no objection to it, I just didn't know anything about it. I'm unlikely to be the only one in that category.

21 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I just had a bit of a panic before realising that the Census was done in England last year and I’ve already completed it.

So somebody living in England last year but now living in Scotland will be counted twice, while somebody who did the opposite will be overlooked altogether.

Boy, that is really going to complicate everything!

How did England/Wales managed to get their census completed last year (with a 97% response rate) but we delayed ours and have a much worse response rate (I know the excuse is "cause Covid" but it seems not really a great one when you see England/Wales got theirs done without too much bother)?

Edited by NorthernLights

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think this thread is probably accurate.

Consumption and how media is generated, so much of our programming comes from elsewhere.

However after a 4 week delay if imagine the fines will start filtering through, although they will probably have a last chance to complete type thing which will make it pointless as folk will just stick down any old rubbish. We would be better sending folk door to door at this stage.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

So somebody living in England last year but now living in Scotland will be counted twice, while somebody who did the opposite will be overlooked altogether.

Boy, that is really going to complicate everything!

Nah, the net effect is Nil.  

How did England/Wales managed to get their census completed last year (with a 97% response rate) but we delayed ours and have a much worse response rate (I know the excuse is "cause Covid" but it seems not really a great one when you see England/Wales got theirs done without too much bother)?

Because it yet another thing being "weoponised" politically as seems to be the want in Scotland these days. It's seen as SNP interference despite the census having been in basically the same way, shape ir form for hundreds of years. It's utterly pathetic but that's Scotland for you in 2022.

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
32 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Because it yet another thing being "weoponised" politically as seems to be the want in Scotland these days. It's seen as SNP interference despite the census having been in basically the same way, shape ir form for hundreds of years. It's utterly pathetic but that's Scotland for you in 2022.

Yup. Every single person I know who hasn't yet completed it is claiming they won't on a point of principle, and justifying it with some 'but the essenpeee!' nonsense. Total playground stuff.

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
33 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I don't think this is the case.  There isn't some sort of organised campaign to discredit the SNP by refusing to fill out the census.  The rate of response seems lowest in Glasgow, which is an SNP council and, IIRC, has all SNP MPs and MSPs.