Completed your census form?

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if a lot of folk have heard the radio adverts aboht how the census helps decide where they need to build schools and swimming pools, then logged on to answer a myriad of irrelevant shite and just crossed it off.

Iv done mine, but part way through I started to get a bit fucked off with it tbh.

Certainly didn't feel like I was contributing to the greater good.c

Amusing video from Mock the Week's John Oliver about the last census in America.

Slightly regretting having completed the census now that I know that census takers will turn up at my house to rape and kill me[citation needed].

A few folk in here half a dozen posts from describing themselves as classic libertarian.

Anyway it's been a complete f**k up from start to finish.

In local authorities we usually start having planning meetings a year in advance to plan local engagement strategies with the government around the census.

Despite the fact its online only this time meaning those with the greatest need - whether literacy, digital literacy or Internet access are going to struggle - they never bothered getting in touch with us until a fortnight before census day asking if we could help plan for how we address this.

Then last week they offered us money at a weeks notice to administer a grant system to give to voluntary organisations so that they can support people to fill it in. We asked if they had criteria, a grant application form and a system to record activity and they asked us to set it up so we told them to bolt. 

I think they thought all they had to do was set up a website and it would all happen.

46 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It doesn't really matter what we think of their choice TBH.

It's just not a priority for those people and personally I'm not prepared to criticise them for it.

The question then becomes what does the government do about it.

I suspect that once threatening letters start coming through the door most of them will probably end up doing it grudgingly but it should be worrying the government to see this level of mass civil disobedience.

I am, because they’ll no doubt become the same moaning arseholes who complain about the government not providing enough of whatever services they need. Anyone that’s too lazy or too stupidly anti-government to recognise why they are asking you to fill out a 10min (if that) online survey is just an arsehole tbh. 

Edited by Jambomo

28 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

A few folk in here half a dozen posts from describing themselves as classic libertarian.

Anyway it's been a complete f**k up from start to finish.

In local authorities we usually start having planning meetings a year in advance to plan local engagement strategies with the government around the census.

Despite the fact its online only this time meaning those with the greatest need - whether literacy, digital literacy or Internet access are going to struggle - they never bothered getting in touch with us until a fortnight before census day asking if we could help plan for how we address this.

Then last week they offered us money at a weeks notice to administer a grant system to give to voluntary organisations so that they can support people to fill it in. We asked if they had criteria, a grant application form and a system to record activity and they asked us to set it up so we told them to bolt. 

I think they thought all they had to do was set up a website and it would all happen.

The question sets were completely pointless 

As well as not having it

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I suspect that once threatening letters start coming through the door most of them will probably end up doing it grudgingly but it should be worrying the government to see this level of mass civil disobedience.

Is it any wonder when you see the mentality shown in the following quote that was made in reference to government instructions:

"as a fully grown adult I don't take kindly to other people telling me what, how and when to do things that they want me to do"

- oaksoft

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Is it any wonder when you see the mentality shown in the following quote that was made in reference to government instructions:

"as a fully grown adult I don't take kindly to other people telling me what, how and when to do things that they want me to do"

- oaksoft

It was originally quoted as his reason for not eating his vegetables at dinner time.

15 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if a lot of folk have heard the radio adverts aboht how the census helps decide where they need to build schools and swimming pools, then logged on to answer a myriad of irrelevant shite and just crossed it off.

Iv done mine, but part way through I started to get a bit fucked off with it tbh.

Certainly didn't feel like I was contributing to the greater good.c

The swimming pool thing is a red herring. Not one question on what your favourite stroke is. 

I also did the census and wondered how this would help them know where to build new schools. Surely you build new schools where massive new housing estates are going up? Also maybe keep an eye on the birth rate.

In the radio adverts I heard, they had tried to personalise them by saying that so and so was doing his census. The names I heard were Mohamed from location unknown and Angus from the Western Isles. Now, this had me thinking, is this just more Equality and Diversity inclusive stuff or are the Muslim and Wee Frees the people who are known to regularly bump the census?

Just fine the 700,000 already. There’s  £700 million for the coffers.

Was there an issue with the previous few censuses? I don't recall folk complaining about it much, although maybe I missed that. Why are people so seemingly annoyed with it this time? 

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Was there an issue with the previous few censuses? I don't recall folk complaining about it much, although maybe I missed that. Why are people so seemingly annoyed with it this time? 

Maybe it’s the patronising adverts?

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think it’s the utter irrelevant questions contained in the census, I can fully understand asking about health issues and things like that but questions asking “ are you a manager “ “ how many people work for you “ etc what on earth is that got to do with planning?

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't actually see anyone annoyed here except you. 

4 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

I think it’s the utter irrelevant questions contained in the census, I can fully understand asking about health issues and things like that but questions asking “ are you a manager “ “ how many people work for you “ etc what on earth is that got to do with planning?

Could be. Were they in the previous one? I really can't recall.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't actually see anyone annoyed here except you. 

I am?! Shit! News to me.

I don't think that the lack of completion is anything to do with widespread objections to the census itself, more that people have forgotten to do it or not picked up that it's required.

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Could be. Were they in the previous one? I really can't recall.

I am?! Shit! News to me.

You seem annoyed at the fact people haven't filled this out and want answers as to why, when the reality is this...

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't think that the lack of completion is anything to do with widespread objections to the census itself, more that people have forgotten to do it or not picked up that it's required.

I'm 33 and this is the first census I've had to fill out myself. I didn't bother my arse with it until the other day, not because I hate the government but because I simply couldn't be arsed. 

I'm 33 and this is the first census I've had to fill out myself. I didn't bother my arse with it until the other day, not because I hate the government but because I simply couldn't be arsed. 
Aye.

In a country where you struggle to get much more than 60% to go to the ballot box every couple of years, it's hardly a surprise that folk can't be fucked answering inane questions online, or don't see any value in it.