Pars vs. Doonhamers

21 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Putting Yogi in the top 5 worst managers ever is an absolutely wild take.

Phew. Thankfully it said 'during my time watching the team' and not 'ever' then.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Don't forget the run to the Challenge Cup final!

Iconic.

Managers since I've supported the Pars from best to worst:

1 - Paton

2 - Calderwood

3 - McIntyre

4 - Johnston

5 - Crawford

6 - Leishman

7 - Jefferies

8 - Campbell

9 - Hughes*

10 - Kenny

11 - Hay

12 - Grant

13 - Potter

Edit - Didn't include caretaker spells for Whittaker/Shields, Craig Robertson or Jimmy Nicholl.

*Hughes can move up or down this list depending on what happens for the rest of his spell.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

35 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Iconic.

Managers since I've supported the Pars from best to worst:

1 - Paton

2 - Calderwood

3 - McIntyre

4 - Johnston

5 - Crawford

6 - Leishman

7 - Jefferies

8 - Campbell

9 - Hughes*

10 - Kenny

11 - Hay

12 - Grant

13 - Potter

Edit - Didn't include caretaker spells for Whittaker/Shields, Craig Robertson or Jimmy Nicholl.

*Hughes can move up or down this list depending on what happens for the rest of his spell.

On the whole, it's actually not that great a list considering where we were for those managers and how we did. 

Paton is the absolute runaway winner without a shadow of a doubt. Calderwood second due to the fact nobody else has given us any sustained top flight football. However, at least McIntyre won the league whereas JC didn't. 

I mean we also stayed in the top flight for years under JC and sunk like a fucking stone under Jimmy Mac.
They both had unsustainable wage bills, before someone provides the obvious retort.
Don't think the wages paid for that SPL season under Jimmy Mac were particularly out of kilter for a newly promoted team tbh.

I'd imagine Jimmy Mac got a decent budget to work with, but would have been still a mission and a half to keep us in that league. He showed too much faith in players that won the First Division. I think Joe Cardle and possibly Andy Kirk were good enough. The rest? Nope. Jordan McMillan probably the only January signing that was any use. It was a total dung team. 

51 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

I'd imagine Jimmy Mac got a decent budget to work with, but would have been still a mission and a half to keep us in that league. He showed too much faith in players that won the First Division. I think Joe Cardle and possibly Andy Kirk were good enough. The rest? Nope. Jordan McMillan probably the only January signing that was any use. It was a total dung team. 

Paul Gallagher also but only those 3.

I want us to pump these silly, Tory, border Downhammers tomorrow.

If word comes through that Ayr are winning comfortably I hope the heads don't go down. Would far rather go in to the playoffs having pumped some daft Conservative rabble than any other sort of result tomorrow. Get the confidence up in case it's needed.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Cardle and Kirk were both excellent that season, especially considering the mess around them.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

The SPL season was the first signs that something wasn't right at the club, we were rookit and our transfer buisness showed it. 

Paul Burns ffs. 

Genuine question - who has managed in the championship in the last five years or so who you would be genuinely excited at us getting?

Just looking at who managed in the league during AJ's last season for us and he is hardly the only duffer in there. Only Jim Goodwin and John Robertson are obvious upgrades imo. 

While recent appointments leave a lot to be desired this maybe just reflects what is in the budget of a middling championship club nowadays.

The squad McIntyre had was absolutely terrible, surely there's no way you were overpaying with those guys. I thought he did reasonably well considering what he had available that year, definitely better than Jefferies managed once he came in.

11 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Genuine question - who has managed in the championship in the last five years or so who you would be genuinely excited at us getting?

Just looking at who managed in the league during AJ's last season for us and he is hardly the only duffer in there. Only Jim Goodwin and John Robertson are obvious upgrades imo. 

While recent appointments leave a lot to be desired this maybe just reflects what is in the budget of a middling championship club nowadays.

Jack Ross? He'd obviously be km a huge pay cut but maybe a promotion bonus could be on offer. 

Robbo I'd take if he was healthy enough to put everything in.

There's an absolute drought of decent managers nowadays.

Mark Kerr had a decent season IIRC. Kyle Hutton was also a slight upgrade on the likes of Paul Burns, and Nick Phinn was just really unfortunate not to get a real go in the SPL due to injury. 

The fear of hearing both John Potter and Alex Keddie starting at the back in a top flight game was fucking grim.