Darvel FC Thread

4 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Plenty of people on here want to have a go at the people who question Darvel's sustainability. Has Falkirk spend £12K on a player over the last couple of seasons. A point not often mentioned is how Darvel splashing the cash on players has had a knock on effect in the game. It's not all about so a of the Darvel project and abrasive characters involved, it's more about the sustainability of a club that has little growth potential in a village with a population of 4000.

Feel the main feeling is that people want Gall to fail not necessarily Darvel FC. If it's sustainable growth then that's great for Darvel FC, does it really matter if they have a small fan base as long as they dont  disappear forever or drop down into oblivion and become a bottom feeder club going nowhere.

5 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Feel the main feeling is that people want Gall to fail not necessarily Darvel FC. If it's sustainable growth then that's great for Darvel FC, does it really matter if they have a small fan base as long as they dont  disappear forever or drop down into oblivion and become a bottom feeder club going nowhere.

The small fan base is relative only in terms of the project and sustainability. It's not a dig at the good people who have been following their club since before the project began.

All clubs have a natural position in the game, generally based upon money and the size of town/community/support. Nearly every club will diverge from that position at some point in their existence.

I think we can all agree that Darvel are, based up their history, and factors mentioned above, punching way above their natural position at the moment.

9 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

The small fan base is relative only in terms of the project and sustainability. It's not a dig at the good people who have been following their club since before the project began.

All clubs have a natural position in the game, generally based upon money and the size of town/community/support. Nearly every club will diverge from that position at some point in their existence.

I think we can all agree that Darvel are, based up their history, and factors mentioned above, punching way above their natural position at the moment.

But if it's sustainable then it becomes their natural position. But therein lies the dilemma, is it sustainable at this level without Gall. When he departs the hope is there's enough of the good people of Darvel FC left to naturally find the clubs level, wherever that may be, not where a bunch of posters in p&b tell them that's where they belong.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

2 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

But if it's sustainable then it becomes their natural position. But therein lies the dilemma, is it sustainable at this level without Gall. When he departs the hope is there's enough of the good people of Darvel FC left to naturally find the clubs level, wherever that may be, not where a bunch of posters in p&b tell them that's where they belong.

Historically they are not sustainable at this level without Gall's money.

Buffs, Medda, Ford and others have all had money pumped in in the past and struggled when that money has left. Buffs and Medda took a hit, but both sustainable because of the size of towns and potential that they both have. Ford are a remarkable club, in that they've managed to sustain themselves in a small village, much of that down to the managerial skills if Darren Henderson.

49 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Mate I agree with u the football is great and I’ve no got a problem with mick and the players getting all the publicity but as for gall I saw him saying he’s no been in his business recently ,that’s because cameras have been all over darvel and no other reason , I’ve got my own business and clients know I’m from darvel , up until Last night most were raving about micks speech against Aberdeen  but to a man they all think gall is a Walloper , my answer to that is who is the best junior team of all time ? They all reply the Talbot and I reply saying can u telL me what Henry dumigan looks like and they all say who ? Now  all of us in the junior game know who Henry is but keeps out the limelight , the way it should be but no gall ,I heard him Saying we will get crowds of a 1000 on different tv stations , aye he will if the other team bring 750 wae them 

when mick leaves and he will the club will Go on but gall picking a manager will be interesting as he’s clueless about the game . 

as for last nights game we needed 9or 10 players on top of their game but was evident from very early on we were off it and it was going to be a long night , Falkirk did their homework and were miles  better.

and the bottom Line is the club has spent a fortune and we are out of every competition apart from the league , I think we will win it but if we don’t then I would suggest the season is a failure, let’s hope they can go on and win it but it won’t be easy 

Great post, sums it all up perfectly.

58 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Mate I agree with u the football is great and I’ve no got a problem with mick and the players getting all the publicity but as for gall I saw him saying he’s no been in his business recently ,that’s because cameras have been all over darvel and no other reason , I’ve got my own business and clients know I’m from darvel , up until Last night most were raving about micks speech against Aberdeen  but to a man they all think gall is a Walloper , my answer to that is who is the best junior team of all time ? They all reply the Talbot and I reply saying can u telL me what Henry dumigan looks like and they all say who ? Now  all of us in the junior game know who Henry is but keeps out the limelight , the way it should be but no gall ,I heard him Saying we will get crowds of a 1000 on different tv stations , aye he will if the other team bring 750 wae them 

when mick leaves and he will the club will Go on but gall picking a manager will be interesting as he’s clueless about the game . 

as for last nights game we needed 9or 10 players on top of their game but was evident from very early on we were off it and it was going to be a long night , Falkirk did their homework and were miles  better.

and the bottom Line is the club has spent a fortune and we are out of every competition apart from the league , I think we will win it but if we don’t then I would suggest the season is a failure, let’s hope they can go on and win it but it won’t be easy 

Agree with everything there apart from the speech; it was horrible.

The only thing I'd add is that it's not just the league they NEED to win, there's the play off too.

19 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Agree with everything there apart from the speech; it was horrible.

The only thing I'd add is that it's not just the league they NEED to win, there's the play off too.

Mark I thought the first one was fantastic and did mick a lot of favours  , but if I’m being honest I thought last nights was cringey and I personally wouldn’t have let the cameras in last night 

What a story, so much so that everyone and their dug has an opinion. The negativity on here says more about the people who spout it than Gall and Mick Kennedy and they really need to get over something outwith their control.

From my first visit over 7 years ago, the transformation of the ground and the surroundings are stunning. They have rattled the cages on the park of the big guns and they will move on eventually and will not miss or be missed by all the Debbie downers. but I’m sure they don’t care. What a brilliant cup run , you couldn’t write it. 
Well done Darvel on a great story. 

Edited by Lurcer

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

The publicity and kudos the WOS now get thanks to these cup runs is fantastic. People who normally have no knowledge of football at this level now do and if that gets more feet through the turnstiles of local clubs 👍👍

So Talbot, Pollok, Clydebank, Cumnock, Drum and yes even Darvel, keep it up may each new  Big Scottish season bring another new name to the fore.

This, the cup is more fun when someone from outwith the SPFL has a wee run...even Darvel.  

Edited by itzdrk

Everyone at Darvel should be proud off there run proper manager proper boys no airs and graces real people who are in touch with the ordinary fitbaw punter on the street

I was gutted for them.last night turned over at 4 1,not out off disrespect just never wanted to see it get any worse for them

All the doubters all the critics should concentrate on there own team,we would all love to do a Darvel who ever we support 

Sustainability and football don't go together and Darvel would be no different from a number of teams in Scotland who rely on directors generosity to  survive. As for comparing the pieman to the secretary of the Talbot is like apples and pears.For starters the pieman is the chairman and that apart he runs a very successful business who advertise on TV. Any TV or media attention is free publicity for his company. BTW I had to point out to the Darvel committee a few seasons back who the Talbot secretary was. I don't really get this obsession with them. 

44 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Everyone at Darvel should be proud off there run proper manager proper boys no airs and graces real people who are in touch with the ordinary fitbaw punter on the street

I was gutted for them.last night turned over at 4 1,not out off disrespect just never wanted to see it get any worse for them

All the doubters all the critics should concentrate on there own team,we would all love to do a Darvel who ever we support 

If I wanted to support a team that buys success then I'd cling on to one of the Old Firm. I can assure you "we would all love to do a Darvel" is complete bollocks. 

19 minutes ago, Bheaten Castard said:

Sustainability and football don't go together and Darvel would be no different from a number of teams in Scotland who rely on directors generosity to  survive. As for comparing the pieman to the secretary of the Talbot is like apples and pears.For starters the pieman is the chairman and that apart he runs a very successful business who advertise on TV. Any TV or media attention is free publicity for his company. BTW I had to point out to the Darvel committee a few seasons back who the Talbot secretary was. I don't really get this obsession with them. 

For starters he’s no the chairman he’s the president but ur missing the point without googling most football fans couldn’t tell u who the chairman of livingston , Motherwell  . Celtic is so why does he have to come out with all his stupid statements and get interviewed all the time ? If it’s once it’s fine and I’ve no issues with that but his constant Pish is hard to listen to , it’s no about him it’s about the manager and players 

The counter side is one I’ve raised before, that an opinion may be that many clubs are vulnerable to people with resources taking control. Probably much more appealing with the pathway to the league now and the level of publicity gained in this cup run. Some might argue the control pushes out less flashy volunteers (wrongly deemed non progressive in some instances) who turned up regardless in the years prior to keep the lights on. Great when it works but as seen with syngeta and others when it goes it goes. Who’s left but the volunteers previously cast aside? 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If I wanted to support a team that buys success then I'd cling on to one of the Old Firm. I can assure you "we would all love to do a Darvel" is complete bollocks. 

So who is your junior team then?If its Kello they would love to do a Darvel,that is a fact

Any wee team getting a bit off national exposure is great for them

Look at Yoker Athletic last year getting to the junior cup final for example 

Difference is Darvel were in with the proper big boys suppose some people just hate gaint killing stories

1 hour ago, Darvel legend said:

Mark I thought the first one was fantastic and did mick a lot of favours  , but if I’m being honest I thought last nights was cringey and I personally wouldn’t have let the cameras in last night 

You forced me to watch last night's and they're both horrendous. The fella even quoted himself from interviews he'd done! The novelty factor and the following victory made the first more palatable after the game but content wise it was just as bad. Not letting the cameras in wasn't an option. The guy would enjoy his colonoscopy being on BBC Scotland.

31 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

So who is your junior team then?If its Kello they would love to do a Darvel,that is a fact

Any wee team getting a bit off national exposure is great for them

Look at Yoker Athletic last year getting to the junior cup final for example 

Difference is Darvel were in with the proper big boys suppose some people just hate gaint killing stories

I don't support any "junior" team. Real football fans don't want their side to buy success. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't support any "junior" team. Real football fans don't want their side to buy success. 

Aye okay pal neither they do every transfer window says otherwise in here or in any other forum,moaning when moneys spent moaning when it isn't 

So you never grew up with a junior team then?Bit strange that usually junior football and to a lesser extent amateur football is the gateway to the love off football 

I don't believe you or the real football fans patter eithe

39 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

For starters he’s no the chairman he’s the president but ur missing the point without googling most football fans couldn’t tell u who the chairman of livingston , Motherwell  . Celtic is so why does he have to come out with all his stupid statements and get interviewed all the time ? If it’s once it’s fine and I’ve no issues with that but his constant Pish is hard to listen to , it’s no about him it’s about the manager and players 

According to the media he's the chairman and he's the face of Darvel .I  have never heard of him being called the president Most people couldn't tell you the name of one player but they  could certainly name him and what his company are famous for. He's moved Darvel into the 21st century and some don't like it for some reason. What's your ? You were once in his inner circle and probably instrumental in getting him involved.