Darvel FC Thread

21 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

2-0 comfortable win and could and should have been more , Rattled the bar a few times second half but all in a good performance after second half at arthurlie on Saturday 

Much of a crowd tonight?

1 hour ago, Darvel legend said:

If it wasn’t for  Clydebank fans there wouldn’t have been 200 in which is a disgrace , I feel for mick and the players as they can’t do any more 🤷‍♂️

While i think having floodlights is a good thing, I believe that it will end up costing teams cash.  You had a full premier league card last night (most of the games were available on PPV from the clubs) and their was a cup semi final with Man Utd playing. clubs that have floodlights need to get together with the fixture secretary so that games are arranged for nights there are no senior games.   We played Troon a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday night and i would say the crowd was about half of what it would have been on a Saturday, there were senior games that night as well.

6 minutes ago, beithboy said:

While i think having floodlights is a good thing, I believe that it will end up costing teams cash.  You had a full premier league card last night (most of the games were available on PPV from the clubs) and their was a cup semi final with Man Utd playing. clubs that have floodlights need to get together with the fixture secretary so that games are arranged for nights there are no senior games.   We played Troon a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday night and i would say the crowd was about half of what it would have been on a Saturday, there were senior games that night as well.

Why did the clubs allow several midweeks at the start of the season go unused?

Could a couple of league games not have been fitted in?

12 minutes ago, beithboy said:

The weather is a big factor though. A lot of the old boys are not going to come out when it's so cold. As the previous post has said, a late summer/early Autumn evening is much more appealing.

3 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

The clubs wanted a fixture list where all League games were given a Saturday.

5 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

The weather is a big factor though. A lot of the old boys are not going to come out when it's so cold. As the previous post has said, a late summer/early Autumn evening is much more appealing.

Yes that would not have helped the crowd, also we have noticed at Beith  a lot of our older fans have not come back at all after Covid so that is also having an effect on crowds.

2 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

If it wasn’t for  Clydebank fans there wouldn’t have been 200 in which is a disgrace , I feel for mick and the players as they can’t do any more 🤷‍♂️

They can't do any more because that's all there is, there literally isn't any more support available.

This was always going to be the issue with one man's vanity project.

The notion of build it and they will come simply isn't ever going to happen at Darvel.

I don't mean this in a put Darvel down way, it's simply a fact.

I'm not sure that the Pieman cares that much either and Mick Kennedy would have been well aware of the lack of growth potential at Darvel before he went there.

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Some clubs raised concerns about certain matches being scheduled for early season midweeks that they would have preferred to be on a Saturday because they would get a bigger crowd. So that's why none were scheduled for the start of this season. However, that is currently under review.