Darvel FC Thread

19 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Who've they signed now? Porteous?

A boy from Kirkintilloch who’s a good player but I’d say that’s 22-23 good players doon the brae now and they Cannae all play , what’s worrying for me is I looked the fixtures and we have 3 home games from now to the bells , the 3 home games are Troon, Largs and Rob Roy ,

now no disrespect to these clubs but they don’t have an away following so the club will be lucky to bring in a grand a game , I don’t know this but I’d imagine the wage bill is between 5 & 6k a week 

u don’t have to be the chancellor to work out that’s a 57k loss if I take the wage bill at the lower end of the scale 

I don’t care how much money John gall has and he’s obviously wealthy but no football team at this level can afford to spunk that quarterly .

imo half of that could win this league 

11 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

A boy from Kirkintilloch who’s a good player but I’d say that’s 22-23 good players doon the brae now and they Cannae all play , what’s worrying for me is I looked the fixtures and we have 3 home games from now to the bells , the 3 home games are Troon, Largs and Rob Roy ,

now no disrespect to these clubs but they don’t have an away following so the club will be lucky to bring in a grand a game , I don’t know this but I’d imagine the wage bill is between 5 & 6k a week 

u don’t have to be the chancellor to work out that’s a 57k loss if I take the wage bill at the lower end of the scale 

I don’t care how much money John gall has and he’s obviously wealthy but no football team at this level can afford to spunk that quarterly .

imo half of that could win this league 

Right J, I'm going to try to take advantage of your honesty here. You're right that it's too much money to sink into winning this league, so it makes you wonder, what was the thinking behind those key players going on the stag at the play-offs? For us looking in it seemed utter bananas to invest that amount of money then blow the chance to go up that they seemingly craved? The idea has been flung at the the Talbot that they don't want to go up. Personally, i don't believe that but the same could be hinted about Darvel in that case...or was it, as I suspect just stupidity?

29 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Right J, I'm going to try to take advantage of your honesty here. You're right that it's too much money to sink into winning this league, so it makes you wonder, what was the thinking behind those key players going on the stag at the play-offs? For us looking in it seemed utter bananas to invest that amount of money then blow the chance to go up that they seemingly craved? The idea has been flung at the the Talbot that they don't want to go up. Personally, i don't believe that but the same could be hinted about Darvel in that case...or was it, as I suspect just stupidity?

Mark the only one who was eligible to play that day was Meggatt who’s stag do it was , the rest of the players on it were injured and weren’t available for selection , I don’t know but I’d imagine mick rightly would have thought they could beat Tranent without meggat , it’s no as If the player taking his place was a novice , Tranent were good on the day and we weren’t so they rightly went up ,on a side note I see the club applying for a general manager at 25k a year , I’m no being clever here but is that not what committees all over the country do week in week out for the love of the club , I know when we had the fall out and me and the boys all left what we were bringing into the club and it’s never been replaced , to see gall advertising for someone at that leveL of money makes me laugh , it should be done for the love of the club nothing else 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Darvel legend said:

Mark the only one who was eligible to play that day was Meggatt who’s stag do it was , the rest of the players on it were injured and weren’t available for selection , I don’t know but I’d imagine mick rightly would have thought they could beat Tranent without meggat , it’s no as If the player taking his place was a novice , Tranent were good on the day and we weren’t so they rightly went up ,on a side note I see the club applying for a general manager at 25k a year , I’m no being clever here but is that not what committees all over the country do week in week out for the love of the club , I know when we had the fall out and me and the boys all left what we were bringing into the club and it’s never been replaced , to see gall advertising for someone at that leveL of money makes me laugh , it should be done for the love of the club nothing else 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the information on last season. 

As for the GM, you need to get rid of the romantic notion that Darvel are a community club. It sounds trite and churlish to say it but it's a vanity project with a view of getting as high in Scottish football as possible. The ground just happens to be in the village of Darvel. I know you have a newfound admiration for the manager but he loves the attention he gets through this. Him and Gall are running a business here with the chance to get interviewed regularly and getting their face in the paper or on the telly. I watched Gall when I was at the Beechwood game a few weeks ago. He sat in the stand mouthing off with a wee band of guys who trailed about with him. The money that's been thrown at the project is an investment in their own image, simple as that.

You're right that it should be done for the love of the club and every other team in that league and the leagues below in the WoSFL have that situation. Your club are an anomaly. Although it was very, very funny when you lost the play-off, it would genuinely have been better if you had got through and away oot the road.

No offence, like!

1 hour ago, DellScot said:

25k a year on indeed job website for a 'general manager ' for a wee village fitba team in ayrshire full of mercenary glasweigans and an old duffer who makes pies 😂😂😂

Would he no be better giving the 25 grand to his workforce in the bakery’s 

Darvel certainly don't rely on gate money and haven't for a few seasons now.They have sponsors as well as rich backers. I was down last week for there junior cup tie and the crowd was sparse to say the least. The simple fact is without the pieman Darvel would be playing in the lowest level. He has also brought a degree of professionalism to club which some can't get round.  BTW if the GM does the job that's advertised he will bring in a lot more than £25k. Have you seen the job discription ? Everything from being a painter to commercial manager.

8 hours ago, Darvel legend said: it should be done for the love of the club nothing else 🤷‍♂️

I think that is quiet naive. The minute an owner is committed to putting in the amount of money Gall has then a degree of professionalism is required in the background.

My worry would be that paying a salary of £25,000 won’t attract people at the top of their game with contacts that they could bring to the party.

It sounds more like a YTS with an Social Media awareness who will apply. 

Was in attendance today,Troon started well and could hav been 2 up before Darvel struck the post/bar.

But bit by bit Darvel took the game by the scruff of the neck,the goals started to go in,Troon went down to 10 men and it was game over.

Was however impressed with Troon's front 2,very quick with plenty of ability.

But you can see there is a bit of cash behind Darvel,their players looked a cut above.

Still you can only beat what's in front of you and that's what Darvel did.

Comfortable win today but thought a young Troon team played the game in the right way and will be disappointed with score line , an error from Keeper , a deflected goal and wee Chrissie had a couple of top saves to keep the clean sheet , on to new cumnock next week where we are sure to get a warm welcome

🤦🏻‍♂️

58 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Was in attendance today,Troon started well and could hav been 2 up before Darvel struck the post/bar.

But bit by bit Darvel took the game by the scruff of the neck,the goals started to go in,Troon went down to 10 men and it was game over.

Was however impressed with Troon's front 2,very quick with plenty of ability.

But you can see there is a bit of cash behind Darvel,their players looked a cut above.

Still you can only beat what's in front of you and that's what Darvel did.

Did you see what the Troon players and bench were annoyed about after Darvels first goal?

8 minutes ago, Ceejayar said:

Did you see what the Troon players and bench were annoyed about after Darvels first goal?

Naw mate,saw they were raging bout something.........,Troon keeper made a good save,rebound fell to a Darvel player on the edge of the box and its 1-0 Darvel .

2 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Naw mate,saw they were raging bout something.........,Troon keeper made a good save,rebound fell to a Darvel player on the edge of the box and its 1-0 Darvel .

Yeah that’s what it looked like for me as well🤷🏻‍♂️

On 01/10/2022 at 18:19, Darvel legend said:

Comfortable win today but thought a young Troon team played the game in the right way and will be disappointed with score line , an error from Keeper , a deflected goal and wee Chrissie had a couple of top saves to keep the clean sheet , on to new cumnock next week where we are sure to get a warm welcome

🤦🏻‍♂️

Hope your Management team show a bit more dignity than they did last season when their behaviour was shocking

On 30/09/2022 at 17:59, Lurcer said:

I think that is quiet naive. The minute an owner is committed to putting in the amount of money Gall has then a degree of professionalism is required in the background.

My worry would be that paying a salary of £25,000 won’t attract people at the top of their game with contacts that they could bring to the party.

It sounds more like a YTS with an Social Media awareness who will apply. 

Maybe I should throw my hat into the ring, I've been an office clerk, a postman, a dustman, a labourer, and currently work for a fish merchant. £25k is far more than I've ever earned doing any of it! The ground would be spick and span, the post would all be sorted and opened on time, I can mix a bit of pudge and leave some rotting fish heads behind the panelling in the away dressing room........