Darvel FC Thread

Pretty shocking if they have been allowed to pull out with no penalty. Five days ago The Buffs were advertising for hospitality at the game. I have no doubt that the game would have drawn a big crowd and it looks as if very much it’s The Buffs who are being penalised financially.

Every year the season runs on until June and ultimately this game was for a chance to win what was considered to be a major trophy. What difference does the possibility of playing two additional games make to Darvel with a week between the games.

I remember in 1999 The Buffs had to play about 5 games in 7 days with the last league game against Auchinleck being played on a Friday night the day after Buffs had played in a cup final. Players wanted to play for the chance to win things.

14 minutes ago, The viper said:

Pretty shocking if they have been allowed to pull out with no penalty. Five days ago The Buffs were advertising for hospitality at the game. I have no doubt that the game would have drawn a big crowd and it looks as if very much it’s The Buffs who are being penalised financially.

Every year the season runs on until June and ultimately this game was for a chance to win what was considered to be a major trophy. What difference does the possibility of playing two additional games make to Darvel with a week between the games.

I remember in 1999 The Buffs had to play about 5 games in 7 days with the last league game against Auchinleck being played on a Friday night the day after Buffs had played in a cup final. Players wanted to play for the chance to win things.

All this is true but because it happened in the past doesn't mean it was right then and should continue.

I have said this before but it has needed changed for years but because it was Talbot affected all the time nobody gave a f**k but on the odd year it was their team it was a scandal.

I was hoping the new set up would resolve this but it has been worse

Edited by Wile E Coyote

52 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

Well said Mick Kennedy don t often agree with you but your spot on with that statement

The date of the final has been known for about a month now. Darvel could have withdrawn at any point if they knew they weren't going to ask players to play into June.

Instead they waited until the last possible second. Thinking they were going to be promoted and not have to deal with the consequences. Which has messed about other clubs.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

5 hours ago, theesel1994 said:

More than Talbot got for winning the South Challenge Cup......is it right they got hee-haw for winning it?

Correct. They didn't even get a share of the gate as the organisers took that for expenses.

We keep hearing about how prestigious this cup is but its an absolute joke. No prize money, home team keeps the gate in the earlier rounds, Tin pot pish

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The date of the final has been known for about a month now. Darvel could have withdrawn at any point if they knew they weren't going to ask players to play into June.

Instead they waited until the last possible second. Thinking they were going to be promoted and not have to deal with the consequences. Which has messed about other club

They did indicate that there was a possibility that they might not be able to field a team but it fell on deaf ears

It won't get better until Talbot win this cul de sac league and win a playoff to the LL.

You keep saying this. Surely if a team has genuine ambitions to get beyond the lowland league (say Clydebank) then it's surely in their interests to have a crack at a LL without a team as strong as Talbot?

All this is true but because it happened in the past doesn't mean it was right then and should continue.
I have said this before but it has needed changed for years but because it was Talbot affected all the time nobody gave a f**k but on the odd year it was their team it was a scandal.
I was hoping the new set up would resolve this but it has been worse

It wasn't just Talbot affected. Other clubs had to wait weeks without a match just for Talbot to catch up and play on a Monday night with nothing at stake. At least you had leagues and Scottish cups to ease the pain of 3-game weeks.

A 20 team season could have easily been accomodated if they had delayed the WOS League Cup for a season and told all the teams involved in the Junior cup that if they wanted to take part in another association's competition then they could fit it in when they could, instead of giving them prime time Saturday slots mid-season.

17 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
3 hours ago, Glenconner said:
It won't get better until Talbot win this cul de sac league and win a playoff to the LL.

You keep saying this. Surely if a team has genuine ambitions to get beyond the lowland league (say Clydebank) then it's surely in their interests to have a crack at a LL without a team as strong as Talbot?

Firstly to go anywhere you need to win the Wosfl.

Darvel just spent a small fortune to get past Talbot.

Until Talbot win the playoffs and go up everybody will  stay in their Wosfl place.

Not the end of the world i suppose.

Cosy wee derbies in Ayrshire and a run in the Big Scottish.

A few wins and landing a peach in January/Febuary at Big Club Found away.

Do most of them with the exception of maybe Clydebank really want to play Caley Braves or Cumbernauld Colts?

Anyway a lot of it is pointless.

Even Darvel with a few quid could be trapped in the Wosfl for years.

Edited by Glenconner

5 hours ago, Rugbyroader said:

The sooner that the Darvel Circus comes to an end or they get promoted the better. They bring nothing to the WOSFL in terms of class, conduct or dignity.  I don’t think they’ll be welcomed in the LL or elsewhere unless they change their attitude and how they operate. The worst thing about them not being promoted is that they are in the WOSFL again next year. Biggest achievement is not how they have climbed the leagues but becoming the most disliked club in the WOSFL so quickly. It appears they haven’t made many friends in Tranent either. 

Can't fault their supporters, nothing but polite to myself and the group we came up with at the weekend and it's not their fault that personnel at the club conduct themselves the way they do.

7 minutes ago, energyzone said:

It wasn't just Talbot affected. Other clubs had to wait weeks without a match just for Talbot to catch up and play on a Monday night with nothing at stake. At least you had leagues and Scottish cups to ease the pain of 3-game weeks.

I take your point about other teams but it was only a financial cost they were paying. My point was the toll on players bodies playing Sat-Mon-Wed-Sat for a couple of months. It was the worst thing about the Juniors

14 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Firstly to go anywhere you need to win the Wosfl.

Darvel just spent a small fortune to get past Talbot.

Until Talbot win the playoffs and go up everybody will  stay in their Wosfl place.

Not the end of the world i suppose.

Cosy wee derbies in Ayrshire and a run in the Big Scottish.

A few wins and landing a peach in January/Febuary at Big Club Found away.

Do most of them with the exception of maybe Clydebank really want to play Caley Braves or Cumbernauld Colts?

Anyway a lot of it is pointless.

Even Darvel with a few quid could be trapped in the Wosfl for years.

The buffs won't be hanging around waiting on talbot to go up I can assure you of that if we are in a position to go up we will not hesitate nor look back.

1 minute ago, wow-wee said:

The buffs won't be hanging around waiting on talbot to go up I can assure you of that if we are in a position to go up we will not hesitate nor look back.

Good on you.

Win the Wosfl first and come back and tell us.

3 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Correct. They didn't even get a share of the gate as the organisers took that for expenses.

We keep hearing about how prestigious this cup is but its an absolute joke. No prize money, home team keeps the gate in the earlier rounds, Tin pot pish

WoSFL are pushing for a change to the gate money arrangement.

If the other leagues persist in wanting to keep the current rule I'd be very interested to know how they justify doing so.

10 hours ago, beithboy said:

Be interesting to see what they do with the withdrawal of Darvel from this cup.  The WOSFL want all their competitions with a sponsor. Do they hammer them or will they be scared to in case their chairman pulls the sponsorship of the cup.  

The other side of this is now that the cup is immediately devalued for the next time they go looking for a sponsor. So the damage is already done - if you don’t hammer a team then everyone else will surely just do the same when it suits them next year etc further devaluing the cup moving forward.

1 hour ago, Talbot supporter said:

Can see this whole Darvel situation fall apart within a couple of years

Or is that wishful thinking, I agree with the way they’re carrying on, it can only end badly for what was a respected club 

Unlike other clubs that have had a sugar daddy pump money into them then walk away when bored, Darvel will be left as a licensed SFA club with a done up ground. So they'll be in a better position than before the project.

Unless they walk away with a squad under contract for a year or so.

Or is that wishful thinking, I agree with the way they’re carrying on, it can only end badly for what was a respected club 
Not wishfull thinking, from a business point of view there's no way it can be sustainable , eventually they can't just keep chucking money at it without little return.

Unlike other clubs that have had a sugar daddy pump money into them then walk away when bored, Darvel will be left as a licensed SFA club with a done up ground. So they'll be in a better position than before the project.
Unless they walk away with a squad under contract for a year or so.
Agree with this although I dont think they will walk when players are under contract or I suppose they could just pay them the remainder if it came to it.