Darvel FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont know, but spoke to someone approached by them for next season and it’s up there with Darvel money from last year.

Just when it seems one ridiculous mob are on the wane, another pops up. Like whack-a-mole!

Edited by jimbaxters

11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Heres where i’ll probably disagree with some on here, JB seem to be about to invest heavily in their ground as well as players, fair enough in that regard. But yes you can’t wonder but help how sustainable it is. 

If nothing else, having traditionally wee teams emerge all 'roided up on sugar daddy money and ready to win the league keeps everyone else on their toes and opens things up a bit.

This level of football doesn't suffer from stagnation and predicability and in part that's because of these sort of teams so I grudgingly accept they have a role to play.

14 hours ago, andy25 said:

Johnstone Burgh as well.

I wouldn’t t say Johnstone Burgh are a “ridiculous mob”

We have had our moments and can carry a decent support, betting over 200 at most games this season and averaged mid 300s in late 90’s early 2000s when we had a decent team back then 

Also, unlike St Cadocs, we have a ground 

16 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

St Cadocs throwing around silly money bankrolled by millionaires. 

Not throwing any money at getting a ground near home. Are they going to be the next BSC and Rossvale?

It is time the league stood up to clubs happy to spend monies on players but not a base near home.

I know shocker we are in agreement. 😁

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its some ex celtic director, dont know the name. 

I'm sure it's a guy called Brendan Boyle or he was the ex celtic director at them when they first came on the scene .

Edited by Thejackdaw

2 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

I'm sure it's a guy called Brendan Boyle or he was the ex celtic director at them when they first came on the scene .

Heard a rumour that someone else with money has come in as well. Something to do with the new manager.

11 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Heard a rumour that someone else with money has come in as well. Something to do with the new manager.

They're entitled to do so but would have more respect for them if they were getting the bricks and mortar going in newton mearns and building a ground to call their own ........... until then though.......

In all seriousness a club or clubs need to stick their heads above the parapet at the agm and call this out.

Whether you like them or not at least clubs like the Cairn and the Drum play in the area they originate from. This squatting miles away from your home area or not even having a home area is wrong.

These are football clubs not franchises.

On 25/05/2023 at 11:32, PossilYM said:

Wait and see regarding Gartcairn and St Cadoc's in the top league.

Can't see the Ayrshire big guns plus Pollok and Clydebank rolling over to a glorified boys club from Airdrie and a youth club XI out the local chapel hall.

I'm unsure were this is headed with all the posts about money men. Gartcairn definitely had lower money to spend for season 22/23 compared to St Cadocs, Drumchapel and Benburb. Kilbrinie we all heard had problems midseason money wise and the rest just ducked and dived. I expect Johnstone Burgh and Drumchapel to push on in Division 1. Kilwinning money is supposed to be halved compared to this season just finished and cant see any of the 3 relegated from the premier going straight back up easily. The 3 promoted to division 1, Renfrew Ashfield and Maybole I don't expect to be challenging for promotion.

I can see Benburb and St Cadocs staying up next season but Gartcairn need to add quite a few players to their squad as their depth definitely wont cut it in the Premier.  Darvel, I get the impression will be the big money team again with a new manager so its really up in the air how they will do but supposed most of us expect them to be there or there abouts.

Regarding money men or sugar daddies, these teams go through fluxes or prosperity and some last longer than others but eventually usually changes will happen when the money dries up, just a matter of when.  There is defiantly a lot of peeps on here jealous or have a dislike of new teams/academy teams progressing etc.. but hey the way I see it, if a new teams starts up and wins promotion, its a kick in the balls to all the established teams who have been going for years but just staying stagnant.   I went to a 3rd division game recently of a team who have been going for over a 100 years and feck me, i was directed to the toilet and it was a bogging trough, no ceiling and the keeper and defense could watch you pee.  haven't got a clue what I would have done if i needed a number 2 😐