Darvel FC Thread

Just now, Shanner said:

The team talk was mortifying. He'd be getting pilloried today if everyone wasn't too busy laughing at Aberdeen.

This. If anyone reckons that some flustered nonsense about being an army led to the win, they're at it. If you can bear to watch it again, you'll see that even the players looked affrontit. It was purely and simply attention seeking.

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

And yet John Gall, Mick and the Darvel players have done more to raise the profile and generate publicity for the WoSFL than you or anyone else has or ever will do.

But you batter on with your vanity nonsense.

John Gall was interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Today programme this morning.

I don't recall a single mention of the WoSFL, but he did manage to name-check Brownings the Bakers and the Kilmarnock pie, plus various pie-related awards.

10 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

So you're saying the mic grabbing and endless interviews/rehearsed team talks are for the benefit of the WoSFL? Is that why they've stated during those endless interviews that they want to get out of it as soon as possible? 

Like it or not the simple answer to your question about why they would want out of the WoSFL league is AMBITION and PROGRESSION.

Let me give you just ONE example of why Iast night could and I stress could, benefit the WoSFL, bare with me as it's a wee bit long winded.

My Mrs is the Credit Card Director for a well known UK High St bank, this morning after their daily board meeting and knowing shes from East Ayrshire, the subject came around to last nights game which a good few of them from down south had also watched on TV.

Her collegue responsible for marketing and sponsorship was extremely keen to know more about Darvel and most importantly the WoSFL as a whole. She tells me even the Chairman suggested they should explore further.

Imagine they decided to sponsor a competition or the league, as these multi nationals don't get involved with a single club for fear of alienating themselves from customers.

Don't you think the whole league would benefit if something became of that discussion? Afterall, big multi nationals love to ride the coat tales of a fairytale/success story.

Like it or not, last nights game has generated discussion and interest from far afield not just the West of Scotland or  our little country but it's making headlines worldwide.

I've also sat back and read for a long while now about how John Gall, Mick and Darvel are this, that n the other, a vanity project where only their money talks and they're buying success.

The truth is that success is getting exposure, interest and people talking that otherwise would simply not exist.

4 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Wow what a performance from the team last night , we were immense all over the park and deserved that victory , our performance didn’t surprise me theirs did but I couldn’t care less about Aberdeen we are in last 16 of Scottish cup with a chance of getting into last 8 but as daft as it sounds Falkirk will Be harder tie than last night as we will be expected to win 

I don't think you'll be expected to beat us tbh. 

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

Like it or not the simple answer to your question about why they would want out of the WoSFL league is AMBITION and PROGRESSION.

Let me give you just ONE example of why Iast night could and I stress could, benefit the WoSFL, bare with me as it's a wee bit long winded.

My Mrs is the Credit Card Director for a well known UK High St bank, this morning after their daily board meeting and knowing shes from East Ayrshire, the subject came around to last nights game which a good few of them from down south had also watched on TV.

Her collegue responsible for marketing and sponsorship was extremely keen to know more about Darvel and most importantly the WoSFL as a whole. She tells me even the Chairman suggested they should explore further.

Imagine they decided to sponsor a competition or the league, as these multi nationals don't get involved with a single club for fear of alienating themselves from customers.

Don't you think the whole league would benefit if something became of that discussion? Afterall, big multi nationals love to ride the coat tales of a fairytale/success story.

Like it or not, last nights game has generated discussion and interest from far afield not just the West of Scotland or  our little country but it's making headlines worldwide.

I've also sat back and read for a long while now about how John Gall, Mick and Darvel are this, that n the other, a vanity project where only their money talks and they're buying success.

The truth is that success is getting exposure, interest and people talking that otherwise would simply not exist.

That's interesting.

OK Just an idea but maybe there should be an overall sponsor for the whole of the Tier 5 and below pyramid (not including the amateurs etc). This would operate in addition to the individual league sponsorships. A condition would be that there is proper promotion and relegation between Tiers 5 and 6, and between Tier 5 and Tier 4. Maybe £ can talk where words have failed? Wouldn't exactly be the first time that happened!

11 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I think there might have been other, more important factors at play apart from his David Brent impression, yes.

Was nothing wrong with the speech at all for what was the biggest game of all of their lives. Maybe if they got cuffed 5-0 after it, it would be embarrassing that he said he didn't see them as underdogs and basically felt they could win if they believed in themselves.

9 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I thought darvel were excellent last night and a big well done and the pitch was fantastic,  but I think you're going a bit over the top saying it's making headlines worldwide,  I don't think there will be wee stalls In Bendidorm and Rhodes etc etc with darvel beating Aberdeen the front page headlines in the local papers.  

A great achievement and fully deserved but we need to calm down a bit surely 😉 

3 hours ago, Shanner said:

Could debate and change my mind on this all day, but It is the biggest ever shock in this cup in my opinion. Darvel aren't an established name from the Junior days....

Was I the only one who looked at that draw and thought Aberdeen could be in trouble here because they won't fully grasp that they are facing what is arguably a League One quality squad that will be really up for it? Had the same feeling when I saw Auchinleck Talbot vs Hamilton Accies as the draw last season if Accies went swanning down to Ayrshire with the mentality that they just needed to show up because they are Hamilton Accies godammit, which by all accounts is basically what eventually happened. Will be interesting to see what happens with Falkirk in the next round because they will prepare for it properly after this result.

26 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Nice but your original response to me was that the chairman and manager had said what they did to benefit the WoSFL. That whole story you have just typed would not have occurred if Darvel had lost. Ok, the tactics were right and the manager has to take credit for that but his plastic soliloquy had no part in it. Nor did the half time splutter from the chairman.

On another point, it shouldn't be forgotten that Mick Kennedy was a baw hair away from the Pollok job a few weeks ago. Community hub my ding-a-ling. It's all self promoting bluster.

1 minute ago, Thejackdaw said:

I thought darvel were excellent last night and a big well done and the pitch was fantastic,  but I think you're going a bit over the top saying it's making headlines worldwide,  I don't think there will be wee stalls In Bendidorm and Rhodes etc etc with darvel beating Aberdeen the front page headlines in the local papers.  

A great achievement and fully deserved but we need to calm down a bit surely 😉 

It was plastered all over Sky Sports News last night for example. Grabbing the headlines on a channel which doesn't just exclusively broadcast within the UK, especially on an evening where Kane equalled Jimmy Grieves goal scoring record which they've been falling over themselves about for a while now.

16 minutes ago, Killiepiyo said:

Football produces shock results, doesn’t excuse for poor behaviour towards others which is why it’s still being mentioned in the wake of a shock result. Sure a credit card company would love the president of a club they were sponsoring to be on Facebook falsely calling their competitors tax cheats who swindle other clubs etc. 

Try reading my post again, I never mentioned a CC company nor did I suggest they would solely look at Darvel. 

The bank she works for are involved with and sponsor various community based projects.

Best not to just pick out bits or put a spin on the parts of my post that suit to have a go at certain individuals.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Was I the only one who looked at that draw and thought Aberdeen could be in trouble here because they won't fully grasp that they are facing what is arguably a League One quality squad that will be really up for it? Had the same feeling when I saw Auchinleck Talbot vs Hamilton Accies as the draw last season if Accies went swanning down to Ayrshire with the mentality that they just needed to show up because they are Hamilton Accies godammit, which by all accounts is basically what eventually happened. Will be interesting to see what happens with Falkirk in the next round because they will prepare for it properly after this result.

I think a people had a suspicion this was a potential banana skin, but it still really needed Aberdeen to be an absolute state for the shock to come off. Not sure it was even overconfidence, more like the complete absence of confidence, organisation and professional pride. 

28 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

Was nothing wrong with the speech at all for what was the biggest game of all of their lives. Maybe if they got cuffed 5-0 after it, it would be embarrassing that he said he didn't see them as underdogs and basically felt they could win if they believed in themselves.

It was a beamer FFS.

8 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Best not to just pick out bits or put a spin on the parts of my post that suit to have a go at certain individuals.

You were speculating, as was I involving potential sponsors. Interesting however you label reactions to someone’s actions as a ‘go’ 

Absolutely magnificent result for Darvel. Congratulations to everyone involved.  The pre match speech was cringeworthy and I can just imagine him practising in front of the mirror to get it right.  He loves the cameras , of that there is no doubt but the guy knows how to get his team playing great football.