Darvel FC Thread

9 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

If what I’m hearing is correct and it’s £22 for adults and £16 concessions it’s just another shambolic decision from the club but You have the choice u either pay it or don’t .

what’s also very strange is the game is just over 2 weeks away and there has Been no confirmation of the prices or indeed what the capacity has to be .

all they have done is advertise saying if u join the lottery for 2 months it guarantees a ticket for the game so if I’ve done my maths correct that’s £42 to watch a junior team ! I’ve also heard that the capacity has been increased which means basically everyone who wanted a ticket for the game would have got one anyway so no need for this attempt to attract lottery members and one which will be sure to backfire on them .

let’s no be kidded here the sheep Brought 1200 to rugby park during a holiday period so they ain’t bringing 1200 to darvel on a Monday night with game live on tv and no rail links to the town .

I’m also sure  at let’s say £15 and £10 per  ticket many neutrals would have said let’s go to this and see if an upset will happen but im No so sure they will at the prices I’ve been told with game Live on telly.

this was a chance to attract new fans to the club but as per it looks from here as if they are junoor st trying to fleece people for as much as they can 

Aberdeen will bring a lot more to a Scottish cup tie than a run of the mill league game even if it's midweek and on the telly. Darvel on the other hand won't even if it was reduced in price. The pieman ain't silly hence why he is trying to increase capacity. Darvel aren't  a junior team any longer and Aberdeen are one of the biggest teams in Scotland who will bring a sizeable support. Reducing it to £15 would probably lose Darvel money.It certainly won't add a thousand Darvel fans to the gate 

5 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I aint missing your point, I know how to bring people through a football door, how to get locals interested in the team and put structures in place for teams I've worked with.   I've said all, all along the price is high for this match, I think for the match it should be about £16/18 but only the people who run the club know the full facts and they have put the prices high and we do not know if locals are getting discounts etc... but its no big deal if you don't want to pay the price then don't go, its live on TV, and I wouldn't travel down to Darvel as a neutral to watch them play at a fourth round Scottish Tie at that price, especially when its on TV.  The people who are putting money into Darvel are they doing it as a legacy to grow the club, to me defiantly not, looks more like here and now and deal with the future later

Do you think they were thinking of growing when this dissolved their U20s and the young players all tossed to the winds, don't think any of those players, parents, people close to them will want much to do with Darvel, so a huge loss of support down that avenue. If Darvel try to start a youth system, will there be many wanting to jump to it, I doubt it very much, so their reputation outside Darvel and inside Darvel has taken a hit in regards to youth, thus any potential young fans are being lost.  FFs, I took my nephew to the Dalry v St Rochs game last season, (finished 6.5 and the Dalry keeper scored for Dalry lol), he got in free and was given a ticket to get a free purchase of either hotdog, burger or pie with chips, and a free bag of sweeties.  He loved it, he said it was amazing and he was captured. He went back home to his mothers and now him and three of his pals go to Dalry games now and then and his father takes them, that's 5 extra people now enjoying going to Darly games and telling others to come.

Its when people come out with reasoning when they/we are not in view of the full facts, most of the stuff is guess work and hearsay and again most people on this thread from start are not fans of Darvel, ffs even the thread was started by a supporter of another club in the same division lolol. 

Squeezing every last penny.  Maybe I'm wrong but would the club not have made more money moving to a bigger park, I was suprised that the chairman said they will play at Home against Aberdeen. Obviously moving to a bigger park, the host club would charge a fee and how big would the attendance be ?  If Darvel are shafting the Aberdeen fans, the away support then they aint the first team in Scottish football to do so and I get a feeling they wont be the last

If you are talking about last seasons 20s I don't think Darvel chucked them into the wind I think it was more of a falling out and players leaving as the vast majority turned up at Beith a few weeks later as it was mostly players from Glenvale who followed their coaches. This seasons team has far more local lads involved and seems more connected to the club.

I also know how to look at growing a club and the points you make about Dairy are all good, but there is no better opportunity for Darvel than this but it seems like they are missing the opportunity (hopefully they change their mind). 

Last train from Kilmarnock to Glasgow is 10.30. A lot of Glasgow, Central Scotland and East of Scotland based Aberdeen fans were on that last week after the Killie game.  Darvel doesn’t have a train service so presumably most people going to the game will be on supporters buses or cars rather than travelling by train. Darvel didn’t seem the easiest place to park when I was there last year for the Talbot game. 

6 hours ago, PossilYM said:

One thing's for sure, there ain't no Aberdeen fans travelling back to the North East after the game by public transport.

The last train leaves Glasgow Queen St for Aberdeen about 9pm.

Midweek games in the central belt have never been a problem for Aberdeen fans.

One of the biggest attractions for fans of SPL clubs in the Scottish is the chance to get drawn against clubs you've never played before or places you've never been to so I'm pretty sure Aberdeen will take up their entire allocation and wont mind paying whatever it costs.

39 minutes ago, santheman said:

Midweek games in the central belt have never been a problem for Aberdeen fans.

One of the biggest attractions for fans of SPL clubs in the Scottish is the chance to get drawn against clubs you've never played before or places you've never been to so I'm pretty sure Aberdeen will take up their entire allocation and wont mind paying whatever it costs.

Also worth factoring in Aberdeen have plenty of fans who are central belt based having moved for work & the likes.

I’m pretty sure the game will be a sell out. Neutrals (like me) will go. 

I know absolutely nothing about any sort of ground work but with the amount of rain that’s coming down here over the last few days I would be concerned about getting it ready in time, could be a million miles off with that right enough.

I have it from a good source that the ticket prices are £18 and £10 , if that’s the case that’s probably fair for a game like this and thankfully the rumoured prices which I was told last week they have not gone through with it .

I can only hope that guys or lassies who haven’t seen the team for donkeys years go down enjoy the evening and if even 50-100 of them start going to home games every 2nd week that would make a huge difference to the club 

they need to make hay while the sun shines with regards to this tie 

16 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

I have it from a good source that the ticket prices are £18 and £10 , if that’s the case that’s probably fair for a game like this and thankfully the rumoured prices which I was told last week they have not gone through with it .

I can only hope that guys or lassies who haven’t seen the team for donkeys years go down enjoy the evening and if even 50-100 of them start going to home games every 2nd week that would make a huge difference to the club 

they need to make hay while the sun shines with regards to this tie 

Legend, If these prices you state are correct then I think this is great for a fourth round Scottish tie at home against Aberdeen, one of the best Scottish teams outside of the Old Firm in todays current financial market.  I for one will be rooting for Darvel and the whole of lower level football.  Same applies to Linlithgow Rose and Drumchapel.  Go get em guys

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

On 03/01/2023 at 13:48, Wile E Coyote said:

This is not true. SFA set minimum prices for each round which is fairly modest. The price for this round is a lot less than £22. Both clubs have decided to fleece their fans

Minimum price is a fiver, that's correct, but that harks back to the days when a ten bob note would get you in, a pint of light, ten Woodbine and a look at Dirty Nelly's knickers. 

There is a price list that teams consult and it depends on where the top-ranked team is in the SPFL. That's the starting point for discussions. If Aberdeen want the "Premiership" price and won't budge, that's what it will be.

Hopefully, though, the clubs have seen sense and made it a bit more affordable. 

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

There is a price list that teams consult and it depends on where the top-ranked team is in the SPFL. That's the starting point for discussions. If Aberdeen want the "Premiership" price and won't budge, that's what it will be.

Hopefully, though, the clubs have seen sense and made it a bit more affordable. 

That’s not how it works, up for the clubs to agree, and if no agreement then it’s the home teams league price that is the default.

The thing about Darvel offering deals to ST holders or whatever, isn’t going to happen as it affects Aberdeen’s share of the gate. The SFA sends a pro-forma to the home club, or at least it did when I was involved only a few years back. It's a spreadsheet which does most of the calculations for you. They have to return it after the game with number of adults, concessions etc and the number of comps to each club is controlled too.
I suppose they could do something like a voucher for another game, or the club shop or the bar or whatever.

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

The thing about Darvel offering deals to ST holders or whatever, isn’t going to happen as it affects Aberdeen’s share of the gate. The SFA sends a pro-forma to the home club, or at least it did when I was involved only a few years back. It's a spreadsheet which does most of the calculations for you. They have to return it after the game with number of adults, concessions etc and the number of comps to each club is controlled too.
I suppose they could do something like a voucher for another game, or the club shop or the bar or whatever.

Be lucky if ST and lottery members will be much more than 200, that’s why they can guarantee them a ticket.

10 days to go to arguably biggest game in clubs history and Aberdeen have cancelled ticket sales Due to them and police no being happy with certain things.

firstly let me say the president done the right thing by trying to keep the game at darvel ,

everything since then has been farcical , trying to do work at this time of the year to get capacity to 4000 was sheer folly as there was never any chance of 4000 at the game on a Monday night with game live on telly Or any chance that the works  done would be used ever again so why spend thousands ! 

We have let’s be kind here 200 who go to home games on a good day so u might get 750 neutrals being nosey 

sheep would have brought around 1000 maybe so capacity was fine the way the ground was with game being live on telly 

all he’s done here is piss both sets of fans off

Here's a wee bit of context here regarding what darvel are trying to achieve compared to what pollok are up against   .

So basically darvel are wishing for 1750 Aberdeen fans to be allowed into their ground which is just short of double the whole capacity of newlandsfield (a total unfair capacity of  900 these days)

I get that there's been politics with the pollok situation and that darvel have been doing various works to their ground,  however newlandsfield should be a far better venue to host an SPL team and its a shambles that their over all ground capacity is only half of what Aberdeen have been given at darvel .

7 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

10 days to go to arguably biggest game in clubs history and Aberdeen have cancelled ticket sales Due to them and police no being happy with certain things.

Thanks for the honest reply, take it it’s e-tickets? Won’t affect the locals much but those travelling some distance it is certainly tight leaving it until next week.

Appreciate it’s not my concern, Easy for me to sit and comment but guess they wouldn’t want all that ground work effort to be in vain. Comparison for me is my awareness of the massive amount of planning and work that went into hosting hearts at Beechwood.  It was some operation and still amazed we managed it. 

Even doing the media I know if someone said to me to flog 4000 tickets for anything in less than a week I’d probably kick off lol.

Perhaps daft question but as a comprise could they not sell whatever the reduced capacity is, then if it is over turned (not sure how that’s possible given these processes) sell the remaining tickets? 

19 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

firstly let me say the president done the right thing by trying to keep the game at darvel ,

everything since then has been farcical , trying to do work at this time of the year to get capacity to 4000 was sheer folly as there was never any chance of 4000 at the game on a Monday night with game live on telly Or any chance that the works  done would be used ever again so why spend thousands ! 

We have let’s be kind here 200 who go to home games on a good day so u might get 750 neutrals being nosey 

sheep would have brought around 1000 maybe so capacity was fine the way the ground was with game being live on telly 

all he’s done here is piss both sets of fans off

The club didn’t aim for a certain capacity in terms of the works, a decision was made to carry out works to increase the overall capacity of the ground as it was clear early on the 2250 wasn’t sufficient.

The final number of 4000 was agreed by the council based on the their calculation method, as you know there has been sufficient sums of money spent to improve the ground it won’y be required on a week to week basis but it improves the infrastructure of the ground long term.

I’m not sure how that decision pisses of both sets of fans