Darvel FC Thread

13 hours ago, wow-wee said:

I've seen gate checkers on many occasions in cup competitions over the years some will stand discreetly other more visible it can be annoying and at times create a bad atmosphere but in my opinion when a team does this they must be suspicious of the other team  ( lets call it playing the game ) but well within the rules.

An absolutely embarrassing practice by any team, does the grade no favours.

1 hour ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

It rarely happens but I have seen it done at Newlandsfield on a handful of occasions over the years.No problem if another club wants that as our gate numbers and ticket recording have always been scrupulous and transparent and publicised to everyone.I accept that it can be disappointing if there is a feeling of distrust.

10 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Why? I have seen plenty of clubs operate the practice of only giving tickets to people they don't recognise. Also it was well known an East Ayrshire clubs had a gate in a separate part of the ground  where they told some of their own supporters to go to avoid having to give out tickets. For years Arthurlie took the decision, no matter who the opponent, to operate gate checkers after an incident with an East club who tried to give us so little money it was embarrassing. 

Now actively avoiding (cheating) giving your opponents an accurate cut of the gate is far worse than having gate checkers is it not? Not saying Talbot did or do this, have had plenty of cup ties at Talbot and never once thought they did this practice (their committee is the gold standard at this level of football!) but plenty of other clubs have!!

7 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Why? I have seen plenty of clubs operate the practice of only giving tickets to people they don't recognise. Also it was well known an East Ayrshire clubs had a gate in a separate part of the ground  where they told some of their own supporters to go to avoid having to give out tickets. For years Arthurlie took the decision, no matter who the opponent, to operate gate checkers after an incident with an East club who tried to give us so little money it was embarrassing. 

Now actively avoiding (cheating) giving your opponents an accurate cut of the gate is far worse than having gate checkers is it not? Not saying Talbot did or do this, have had plenty of cup ties at Talbot and never once thought they did this practice (their committee is the gold standard at this level of football!) but plenty of other clubs have!!

As clubs strive to get licensed then you would expect all aspects of the club to come in to line with that. This is is the only level that I am aware of who employ these measures, is the mistrust that bad amongst clubs that they still need to do this?

10 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

As clubs strive to get licensed then you would expect all aspects of the club to come in to line with that. This is is the only level that I am aware of who employ these measures, is the mistrust that bad amongst clubs that they still need to do this?

I am not saying it is right but I am saying I can understand it. Arthurlie don't do it anymore and I am glad but possibly it could be that Darvel have decided to keep doing it. It was a regular thing at cup ties up until 4/5 years ago. 

On 30/10/2022 at 08:55, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I get the theory behind your reply there and i by no means am implying Talbot do anything untoward but some teams do rip it with gates. Id agree that the high vis 

This is probably of topic but how many supporters did darvel have on Saturday at the game. 

2 hours ago, fb4 said:

It is m8 but I think one man is probably to blame. 

I remember many years ago, think it was a sectional game at Beechwood and I’m sure Darvel, has about 200 there. Their fans made the most of a rare win (2-1). What’s happened on the journey? 

17 minutes ago, Lurcer said:

I remember many years ago, think it was a sectional game at Beechwood and I’m sure Darvel, has about 200 there. Their fans made the most of a rare win (2-1). What’s happened on the journey? 

Remember it well Graham Neil was the manager I think. 

July 2018.

On 31/10/2022 at 13:23, Darvel legend said:

About 50 which is embarrassing 

What is the point of investing all that money if you can’t generate a crowd? The players are hired hands so will take the money on offer as long as it is available but they must question the lack of fanbase. The manager must also wonder what the whole thing is about unless he is using it as a stepping stone to something else. Easier to manage a team with money to spend and hoovering up the best players from opposing teams. The manager is a failure given the money he has had to spend. 

On 31/10/2022 at 18:56, Lurcer said:

We as in the darvel boys that know about the club we’re taking two sometimes 3 buses to away games , gall however wanted us gone , biggest mistake he ever made , as I’ve said before him and him alone will be the downfall of darvel and that’s with all the good work he has done as in park , facilities etc but he has no people skills whatsoever , I had the young team eating out of my hand but he knows better allegedly , I would say he has no idea and if he would hold an agm and all fans be allowed to it be interesting what it showed 

4 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

We as in the darvel boys that know about the club we’re taking two sometimes 3 buses to away games , gall however wanted us gone , biggest mistake he ever made , as I’ve said before him and him alone will be the downfall of darvel and that’s with all the good work he has done as in park , facilities etc but he has no people skills whatsoever , I had the young team eating out of my hand but he knows better allegedly , I would say he has no idea and if he would hold an agm and all fans be allowed to it be interesting what it showed 

Why would gall want 2 busload of fans gone? 

Mon the papers