Darvel FC Thread

35 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

A footnote, from the 18 seasons of the two top Super Leagues in the West, only something like 8 teams out of 64 clubs never played in one of the two top West Divisions.

Out of the 8 non Super League clubs there was a few questions on whether they were interested in travelling outside of their District League areas.

That of course is open to question.

The above was posted on the Junior forum about 4 years ago.

I am not doubting your stats and without looking up who the 8 teams were I am not sure that would be correct

One of them would be Muirkirk though and they would probably find travelling to Lanarkshire and Glasgow easier than parts of Ayrshire. I just think it was a bad time in their history and they struggled to get a competitive team and sometimes a team at all.

They were in the same league cup section as Talbot, Cumnock and Glenafton and regularly took double figure defeats. I took no pleasure in that but understood it had to be done as the section may have been decided on goal difference. I didn't see them as rivals as we weren't in the same division and weren't competing for the same players. They seem to be doing better now though so good luck to them

Edited by Wile E Coyote

28 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

I am not doubting your stats and without looking up who the 8 teams were I am not sure that would be correct

One of them would be Muirkirk though and they would probably find travelling to Lanarkshire and Glasgow easier than parts of Ayrshire. I just think it was a bad time in their history and they struggled to get a competitive team and sometimes a team at all.

They were in the same league cup section as Talbot, Cumnock and Glenafton and regularly took double figure defeats. I took no pleasure in that but understood it had to be done as the section may have been decided on goal difference. I didn't see them as rivals as we weren't in the same division and weren't competing for the same players. They seem to be doing better now though so good luck to them

Just to clarify the stats weren't mine, just remember reading that on the Junior forum as the clubs got organised for the pyramid.

Wikipedia has the stats on the two Super League league winners.

It also tells you who was relegated season by season.

I'm amazed by the handful of clubs who didn't get at least one season in the top leagues.

Believe only Talbot have never been relegated out the top division since the Super Leagues began in 2002.

Edited by PossilYM

15 minutes ago, lokforever said:

I think these are the 8 clubs, correct me if wrong  -     Muirkirk, Wishaw, Lugar, Newmains, Royal Albert, Saltcoats, Craigmark, Forth

Lugar were in the super first under Jimsey Kirkland who took them to a Scottish cup quarter final against Tayport. 

Edited by Glenbuck Nosepicker

59 minutes ago, lokforever said:

I think these are the 8 clubs, correct me if wrong  -     Muirkirk, Wishaw, Lugar, Newmains, Royal Albert, Saltcoats, Craigmark, Forth

St Anthony's and St Roch's were never in the Super Leagues in the entire 18 seasons.

27 minutes ago, passbackdave said:

Cant get into darvels team. I wouldnt have him in my team 

I wouldn't say he's struggling to get into the team, it's only two games into the new season and he played the majority of games last season. A bit early imo to be saying he can't get into the team this season.

8 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

I wouldn't say he's struggling to get into the team, it's only two games into the new season and he played the majority of games last season. A bit early imo to be saying he can't get into the team this season.

Played 2 

Been  on bench for 2

Defo no 1st choice 

Mon the papers

22 hours ago, PossilYM said:

St Anthony's and St Roch's were never in the Super Leagues in the entire 18 seasons.

St Rochs were promoted to the old Championship same season as the Vics.😉

37 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

In the end, as we all know, the money will dry up and the club will land back with the faithful few in the village.

Hopefully when it happens the club isn't left with a pile of debts.

Whether it goes to sh*t or not it will at least have a decent ground to leave behind. 

Good 3 points after a poor first half by our standards and im Glad the buffs equalised , made us angry and at the finish up could have been 5 or 6 , linesman was quick with his flag up A couple of times late on , no sure whether he was right or wrong , and Allan Mackenzie  carried on his great performance last week at auchinleck with a really good hat trick , man of the match by a distance 

Good 3 points after a poor first half by our standards and im Glad the buffs equalised , made us angry and at the finish up could have been 5 or 6 , linesman was quick with his flag up A couple of times late on , no sure whether he was right or wrong , and Allan Mackenzie  carried on his great performance last week at auchinleck with a really good hat trick , man of the match by a distance 

Do you think Cumnock will challenge ?

16 minutes ago, goalmachine said:
42 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Do you think Cumnock will challenge ?

Nop

seriously think we will win league by double figures points wise 

Must have been some doubts as to Darvels motivation this season. Sadly for Buffs, the question was answered tonight. I haven't seen Talbot yet this season, but it'll take a huge effort for any club to mount a challenge to Darvel.

Edited by funky monkey

54 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

One was definitely offside as I was standing in line with it but honestly couldn’t see the other. He let one go in the first half where two Buffs players where offside but the chance didn’t come to anything.

Thought the first half was alright with neither team being a stand out but you are right in that the second half was much more one sided towards Darvel.

Kilwinning seemed to play it up to the number 10 who wasn’t up to much, I kinda feel a quick striker and a ball over the top would cause your defence a lot more problems. Kilwinning did this the the end of season game last year and caused a lot more problems.

By the end the ref could have blown at 75-80 mins as the game was over as a contest.

Edited by Sammo