Darvel FC Thread

1 hour ago, Rugbyroader said:

I think that’s correct. I have only taken any interest in Darvel because they were in the same league as Talbot. Who is going to take any interest next year if Darvel get promoted and are playing Civil Service Strollers, Stirling University, Glasgow University or Berwick. I predict that the biggest crowds and fan and media interest in the West next year will be for games between the larger WOSFL teams. I also predict that Darvel will struggle to get crowds above the low hundreds (apart from the games against the OF Colt teams) if they get promoted. 

Darvel only became relevant when playing the larger teams in the WOSFL. They will only become relevant to me again if they end up in the same league as Talbot or they play each other in a cup. Apart from that they become irrelevant and I think most fans in the West think the same.

As I said it will be interesting to see how Gall, Kennedy and the players cope with the lack of interest in them. 

That's absolutely bang on the money. Darvel have thrived off of the big clubs in the WoSFL PL. It's the other clubs that have brought the crowds. There is no growth potential for Darvel off the park. Home crowds of 300 max next season and a drop off in interest almost guaranteed. I suspect this season is as good as it will ever get for Darvel. 

I’ve seen him in action at Killie games talking about Darvel but he fails to realise that most folk don’t care about them. Darvel have only become relevant recently in a West of Scotland context and are most relevant when playing decent supported teams like Talbot, Meadow, Kilwinning etc. They will be irrelevant to fans in the West if they make it into the LL. It will be interesting to see how the egos cope when folk aren’t interested in what they are doing apart from the couple of hundred fans who support them. They will only become relevant again when they lock horns with the larger West teams again. 
Or if they go up the leagues n become the new gretna?

Mon the papers

If Darvel end up in the LL and remain there after next season, then in the following years they will be joined by EOS / WOS clubs that are promoted. Both the LL and WOS won't be the same in 5-10 years time as the stronger teams move up. 

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

If Darvel end up in the LL and remain there after next season, then in the following years they will be joined by EOS / WOS clubs that are promoted. Both the LL and WOS won't be the same in 5-10 years time as the stronger teams move up. 

Agreed but in a West of Scotland context they are irrelevant until others get into the LL. I also don’t think they are as relevant to East of Scotland teams or fans as Talbot, Pollok and others.

Question is whether John Gall will still be backing them in 5 or 10 years time when he is in his mid to late 60’s as without that backing they are unsustainable. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

How they cope with the lack of interest and not winning... a couple of seasons not winning and the "new toy" gets boring and less fun -  needs more maintenance (cash) and becomes a chore... The drain on the resources and disposable income is then reassessed and withdrawn, then the fall starts.
We`ve seen it all before in the junior & senior ranks
I`ll give it 3 seasons, 5 at a stretch

They won't have issues with not winning next season, they will be heavy favourites to win the Lowland League if they go up.

Pretty sure it does recovery time from getting in late from a midweek game Wednesday/Thursday compared to a week of not doing that know what I would have 
With the size of squad Darvel have they could play their second string against St Cuthberts and still trash them.

3 hours ago, dennispaterson said:

Pretty sure it does recovery time from getting in late from a midweek game Wednesday/Thursday compared to a week of not doing that know what I would have 

Think you are trolling with this. Darvel could play their 3rd team on the Wednesday and win. 

Home advantage against the East team is more favourable. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They won't have issues with not winning next season, they will be heavy favourites to win the Lowland League if they go up.

Berwick are going to invest heavily and Cowdenbeath will have a parachute payment. East Kilbride will be pushing at the top of the league as well. 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You Tube FC are making some decent signings as well. Won’t be as clean a run as it’s been in the past few seasons. 

10 hours ago, funky monkey said:

That's absolutely bang on the money. Darvel have thrived off of the big clubs in the WoSFL PL. It's the other clubs that have brought the crowds. There is no growth potential for Darvel off the park. Home crowds of 300 max next season and a drop off in interest almost guaranteed. I suspect this season is as good as it will ever get for Darvel. 

How have they thrived off the “big clubs”? This has only been the first full season of the WOSFL!

They won the league showed ambition by getting the facilities and the team improved so they could compete with the “big clubs”

The comparison with Gretna is getting boring now cos everyone knows the owner was the only one that signed the cheques his other company’s brought the football down!

11 hours ago, Newguy said:

How have they thrived off the “big clubs”? This has only been the first full season of the WOSFL!

They won the league showed ambition by getting the facilities and the team improved so they could compete with the “big clubs”

The comparison with Gretna is getting boring now cos everyone knows the owner was the only one that signed the cheques his other company’s brought the football down!

Quotes from Gall about the size of the crowd at certain games for starters. Everyone knows at big games it was the opposition and neutrals that provided the crowds. Darvel have benefited from the big clubs and overall interest in the WoSFL premier league, they'll not benefit from that next season. Crowd's and interest in Darvel will decline. 

11 hours ago, dennispaterson said:

Is that not disrespectful who is Darvel 3rd team 

Please pay attention. Darvel have a huge squad of players. The South league winners won't present a challenge to whatever side Darvel choose to put out, it'll be little more than a glorified training session for Darvel. 

Quotes from Gall about the size of the crowd at certain games for starters. Everyone knows at big games it was the opposition and neutrals that provided the crowds. Darvel have benefited from the big clubs and overall interest in the WoSFL premier league, they'll not benefit from that next season. Crowd's and interest in Darvel will decline. 
They really need 2 win the LL in 1 season cos the money john gall is gonnie spunk into them to win the league, hes getting no return back from away fans or lack of them when they visit darvel.

Mon the papers

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

Please pay attention. Darvel have a huge squad of players. The South league winners won't present a challenge to whatever side Darvel choose to put out, it'll be little more than a glorified training session for Darvel. 

Darvel have a playing squad close to 30off players

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

How many players do they they have ? Again disrespectful to St Cuthberts sure Darvel need to come down and play well 

14 minutes ago, dennispaterson said:

How many players do they they have ? Again disrespectful to St Cuthberts sure Darvel need to come down and play well 

At Cuthbert's have done little or nothing in their recent history to suggest that Darvel will do anything other than skelp them.