Darvel FC Thread

Just posted a similar post on the EOS site.

Counting down days as a neutral to see Darvel v Tranent in a couple of weeks.

Unusually I've not had the pleasure of seeing either team live this season.

So who should I be looking out for from a Darvel perspective - a solid centre half, an attack minded fullback, a defensive midfielder etc etc 

Great time of year for the non league - just a pity there isn't a more fluid approach to promotion/relegation re spots available.

Talked one of my mates who wouldn't normally dream of going to a game that doesn't involve one half of the Old Firm into going - really hope this game delivers........I'm in absolute no doubt it will!

Like Glenconner, think I'll take in Tranent v St Cuthbert this weekend first. 

Think I'll take in Tranent v St Cuthbert's on Sunday followed by Darvel v Tranent the following Saturday.
Hopefully see a bit of history being made by the West Champions.
Might take a wee bus or 5 trip 2 darvel for this match lol

Mon the papers

On 16/05/2022 at 10:31, Hawf time pie said:

Gall is a bit of a clown when it comes to his carry on at the games, shouting across the park for subs to be made on Saturday at Medda...

He was trying to get loud and mouthy about Ayr United with his band of little hanger-ons and was quickly shut down by a Medda fan and he never peeped a word after that, quite amusing.

I’ve seen him in action at Killie games talking about Darvel but he fails to realise that most folk don’t care about them. Darvel have only become relevant recently in a West of Scotland context and are most relevant when playing decent supported teams like Talbot, Meadow, Kilwinning etc. They will be irrelevant to fans in the West if they make it into the LL. It will be interesting to see how the egos cope when folk aren’t interested in what they are doing apart from the couple of hundred fans who support them. They will only become relevant again when they lock horns with the larger West teams again. 

22 minutes ago, Rugbyroader said:

I’ve seen him in action at Killie games talking about Darvel but he fails to realise that most folk don’t care about them. Darvel have only become relevant recently in a West of Scotland context and are most relevant when playing decent supported teams like Talbot, Meadow, Kilwinning etc. They will be irrelevant to fans in the West if they make it into the LL. It will be interesting to see how the egos cope when folk aren’t interested in what they are doing apart from the couple of hundred fans who support them. They will only become relevant again when they lock horns with the larger West teams again. 

Promotion to irrelevance.... 

2 hours ago, Hawf time pie said:

Promotion to irrelevance.... 

I think that’s correct. I have only taken any interest in Darvel because they were in the same league as Talbot. Who is going to take any interest next year if Darvel get promoted and are playing Civil Service Strollers, Stirling University, Glasgow University or Berwick. I predict that the biggest crowds and fan and media interest in the West next year will be for games between the larger WOSFL teams. I also predict that Darvel will struggle to get crowds above the low hundreds (apart from the games against the OF Colt teams) if they get promoted. 

Darvel only became relevant when playing the larger teams in the WOSFL. They will only become relevant to me again if they end up in the same league as Talbot or they play each other in a cup. Apart from that they become irrelevant and I think most fans in the West think the same.

As I said it will be interesting to see how Gall, Kennedy and the players cope with the lack of interest in them. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

15 minutes ago, Rugbyroader said:

I think that’s correct. I have only taken any interest in Darvel because they were in the same league as Talbot. Who is going to take any interest next year if Darvel get promoted and are playing Civil Service Strollers, Stirling University, Glasgow University or Berwick. I predict that the biggest crowds and fan and media interest in the West next year will be for games between the larger WOSFL teams. I also predict that Darvel will struggle to get crowds above the low hundreds (apart from the games against the OF Colt teams) if they get promoted. 

Darvel only became relevant when playing the larger teams in the WOSFL. They will only become relevant to me again if they end up in the same league as Talbot or they play each other in a cup. Apart from that they become irrelevant and I think most fans in the West think the same.

As I said it will be interesting to see how Gall, Kennedy and the players cope with the lack of interest in them. 

How they cope with the lack of interest and not winning... a couple of seasons not winning and the "new toy" gets boring and less fun -  needs more maintenance (cash) and becomes a chore... The drain on the resources and disposable income is then reassessed and withdrawn, then the fall starts.

We`ve seen it all before in the junior & senior ranks

I`ll give it 3 seasons, 5 at a stretch

34 minutes ago, Rugbyroader said:

11 minutes ago, Hawf time pie said:

How they cope with the lack of interest and not winning... a couple of seasons not winning and the "new toy" gets boring and less fun -  needs more maintenance (cash) and becomes a chore... The drain on the resources and disposable income is then reassessed and withdrawn, then the fall starts.

We`ve seen it all before in the junior & senior ranks

I`ll give it 3 seasons, 5 at a stretch

You guys are certainly doing your bit to keep them relevant.

John Gall is 58 this year. Doubt he’ll be involved when he is 65. Significant key man risk to his involvement.

Kennedy is 42. Black Rooster has lots of connected companies. Will be interesting how much time he can commit if those businesses grow of face difficulties.