1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I don’t think we have the talent pool for change. McKinnon’s “mature market” plan is haunting us but to be fair to Ray, he knew it and wanted a different squad for this year. And that led to the difference of opinion between he and the club. 

It’s very weird. Here we are in the play-offs for the Championship, highest finish in the Scottish leagues since nineteen canteen yet the overwhelming emotion is dread. If by some holy miracle we get promoted I fear next term would be every bit as bad as Brechin’s short lived dream. See how that ended up. A nice day out in Ayr or Dunfermline and a noble defeat would be the best outcome. For now that is.

A lot of hope has been placed on Owen Coyle but apart from his recent success he’s got a pretty poor managerial track record. Six months at Ross County is his only Scottish experience in the last 15 years. Can’t see how he’ll have the magic black book of phone numbers from that. And that legendary new-boss bounce just hasn’t happened this month. Not to say he won’t come good but it’s not going to be a big bang moment. I think another year in L1 will do us a much better service in the longer term.

I think there’s been enough talent within the squad to at least attempt a change of formation, personnel and systems throughout the season. We’ve been embarrassing this season but there’s been some very stubborn and wild tactical decisions made across the campaign. We’ve been horribly insistent with the idea of playing two defensive/deep lying midfielders which I think has contributed massively to our downfall on the pitch. First half of the season, we often had a Thompson/Gillepsie pairing which unsurprisingly struggled to break down stuffy opposition. This was followed up with brown becoming a defensive mid to accommodate for guff like Connell, Longstaff and Mcbride. Stick Brown between midfield and strikers for cove and airdrie and he’d be a superstar. Terribly misused. He’s our most talented player by some distance 

Far too many poor decisions regarding lineups have been costly. Ellis’s bizzare refusal to play Fox for 2 months essentially cost him the trust of a large number of fans and arguably the club hierarchy based on his sacking. And now we’re attempting to play every single wide combination that isn’t Quitongo. Longstaff, Mcbride, darcy and a horribly off form longridge aren’t near the ability of Quitongo. It really is infuriating to have a player that can stretch defences, especially for a team that are screaming out for that type of player. They’re must be something in the background regarding Quitongo that we don’t know about 

I’m not judging Coyle on anything until next season with his own squad and style implemented. He’s been left with a disinterested, ego-inflated squad of dross and crocks who have really let themselves and the fans far too many times. I’d like to think he wouldn’t of took the job if he hadn’t  got assurances that he can make some top signings in the summer. He’s probably a wealthy enough guy who could have continued to live it up in India. His priority here will be fairly imminent promotion and on field success.

I also don’t think we’d have anywhere near a Brechin situation if we somehow got promotion however. We’ve got far superior resources and there’s likely many very capable players who’d be more than happy to play in the championship if the money is right. 

Edited by qpfc

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

I think there’s been enough talent within the squad to at least attempt a change of formation, personnel and systems throughout the season. We’ve been embarrassing this season but there’s been some very stubborn and wild tactical decisions made across the campaign. We’ve been horribly insistent with the idea of playing two defensive/deep lying midfielders which I think has contributed massively to our downfall on the pitch. First half of the season, we often had a Thompson/Gillepsie pairing which unsurprisingly struggled to break down stuffy opposition. This was followed up with brown becoming a defensive mid to accommodate for guff like Connell, Longstaff and Mcbride. Stick Brown between midfield and strikers for cove and airdrie and he’d be a superstar. Terribly misused. He’s our most talented player by some distance 

Far too many poor decisions regarding lineups have been costly. Ellis’s bizzare refusal to play Fox for 2 months essentially cost him the trust of a large number of fans and arguably the club hierarchy based on his sacking. And now we’re attempting to play every single wide combination that isn’t Quitongo. Longstaff, Mcbride, darcy and a horribly off form longridge aren’t near the ability of Quitongo. It really is infuriating to have a player that can stretch defences, especially for a team that are screaming out for that type of player. They’re must be something in the background regarding Quitongo that we don’t know about 

I’m not judging Coyle on anything until next season with his own squad and style implemented. He’s been left with a disinterested, ego-inflated squad of dross and crocks who have really let themselves and the fans far too many times. I’d like to think he wouldn’t of took the job if he hadn’t  got assurances that he can make some top signings in the summer. He’s probably a wealthy enough guy who could have continued to live it up in India. His priority here will be fairly imminent promotion and on field success.

I also don’t think we’d have anywhere near a Brechin situation if we somehow got promotion however. We’ve got far superior resources and there’s likely many very capable players who’d be more than happy to play in the championship if the money is right. 

I am talking about the now and the near future. Everything in the past you mention has been well documented many times. As for the Fox scenario, a very big name at the club didn’t like him. Ellis seemingly took it as an instruction rather than a comment.

As for individual players, you were the first and strongest advocate for Calum Ferrie to replace Wullie Muir. Now that Ferrie has been played enough times to properly measure him he’s clearly not been the best choice for the goalie’s shirt. Brown is a talented ball player but prefers to turn toward his own goal rather than the opponents. You only have to watch the highlights to realise how little Brown really influences a game. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

14 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I am talking about the now and the near future. Everything in the past you mention has been well documented many times. As for the Fox scenario, a very big name at the club didn’t like him. Ellis seemingly took it as an instruction rather than a comment.

As for individual players, you were the first and strongest advocate for Calum Ferrie to replace Wullie Muir. Now that Ferrie has been played enough times to properly measure him he’s clearly not been the best choice for the goalie’s shirt. Brown is a talented ball player but prefers to turn toward his own goal rather than the opponents. You only have to watch the highlights to realise how little Brown really influences a game. 

I still fully believe that Muir deserved to be dropped at the time. I really liked the look of Ferrie originally and started off well but unfortunately he’s proved to be calamitous in aerial scenarios and it’s pretty conclusive he isn’t good enough now. If Muir was to be backup next season, I’m fine with that but ideally I’d be pursuing an entire new set of keepers. Ideally someone of decent height for once 

19 hours ago, qpfc said:

Ideally someone of decent height for once 

I genuinely don't think that's the main issue. It's all about intelligence and decision making. The better "smaller" keepers know when to come and when not to. At the very top level Andy Goram was the best example. For QP, we've had Stevie Ross, Mark Cairns and Mark McGeown who didn't come flying off their line like a drunk man trying to catch a balloon in the wind. Tbf, I don't think Ferrie is a bad keeper, he's just not playing well right now and it will happen with all young goalies tbh. But unfortunately we don't have any experience in that area right now to take over so we're just gonna have to hope he gets his form back when it matters.

Edited by Mick1867