Players from the wrong era

Satoshi

Football has developed significantly over the last few decades, and as an interesting thought exercise we can consider which players who would thrive (or do worse) in the modern game and vice versa. I’ve put this in a top 5 format, but it’s open format hence keeping in this sub forum.

Players can be of any ability level or era, and for me a good guide would be is there a similar type of player at the top level now?

Former players who would struggle now

• David Beckham – referring to point above, does anyone know any one paced right midfielders at top clubs now? Beckhams strengths, his technical ability, set pieces and hard work on / off the pitch aren’t really enough to cover his deficiencies in pace, goal scoring, positioning, defensive ability, running with the ball etc. For me he’s actually very similar to JWP and would probably end up with a similar career playing central midfield with more mobile midfielders covering him. Verdict: a more handsome version of JWP, but not as good at golf
  • Filippo Inzaghi – an obvious one, was a relic even in his own era. With forwards asked to do far more now (and more agile defenders) he wouldn’t be winning CL titles any more. Verdict: a budget Mauro Icardi, but still probably scoring quite a lot in a top division for a middling club.
  • Gary Neville – is there many slow, not very technical full backs around these days? Even if Neville got a bit more attack minded later in his career he was never Marcos Alonso (a current era slow full back who makes up for it going forward) and his tenaciousness / defensive ability wouldn’t have got him to the top level. Would maybe be the 5th choice for England now. Verdict: He was better than Tony Hibbert so let’s give him a Seamus Coleman like career at a club like Everton
  • Didier Drogba – Suffers a bit from the loss of the traditional number 9, he wasn’t technically good enough to drop deep and dictate the play (like Kane) and his touch / awareness certainly isn’t Benzema or Lewandowski. He’s a leaner, quicker version of Lukaku. Verdict: Still playing at top clubs, but not as good as those mentioned above, and a second tier striker with patches of poor form (like Lukaku). Would probably still score in finals, but so did Milito.
  • Guti – The number 10 hardly exists any more, so pick who you like, but particularly lackadaisical number 10s would suffer the most. Still has the best assist of all time. Verdict: even more of a Madrid bench warmer, or a mid table club.

Former players who would do better now

• Henry – Quick, technically excellent winger who become a forward? He’s perfect for the modern game, and would thrive on improved pitches and with better midfielders than Ray Parlour and Freddie Ljungberg behind him. Verdict: Leaves Arsenal and goes to Barcelona earlier, scores a lot more.
  • Guardiola  - An obvious one given he’s pretty much remade the game in his image, would be more appreciated and would obviously suit the possession style more, would surely do better than moving to Brescia aged 30. Verdict: He becomes Busquets
  • Rui Costa - Bit controversial choosing a number 10 but he was versatile enough to play a few different roles in midfield and for me would thrive playing for someone like Guardiola (and certainly benefits from the fact assists are now counted). Also underappreciated in his day, was a better player than Figo for me. Verdict: A cross between Mahrez and Bernado Silva, with right coaching could play in midfield or attack for a team like Man City. 
  • Rene Higuita - The og sweeper keeper, would surely be at a good European club in the modern game (although his height would be a bigger problem now). Verdict: If taller the skys the limit, at 5 foot 9 maybe he would have to settle for a bit less
  • Barry Ferguson - Sideways Barry was probably a bit ahead of his time and his talents are actually quite suited to the modern game. He would never be an elite player, but he's better than the likes of McArthur and Noble who have 100s of EPL appearances. Him being a total w****r would still hold him back. Verdict: Leaves Scotland much earlier, racks up a few hundred EPL appearances at a good mid table team, if he could sort his head out maybe even a Gareth Barry like career.

Modern Players who would do better in previous eras

• JWP – See Beckham entry
  • Pogba – Would have thrived as a number 10 (or left of a 4-3-3 as he does for France), and would have enjoyed it a lot more before pressing began in earnest. International football is certainly an older style relative to club football (not enough time to work on pressing to the same extent) and it’s probably partly why he does better there. Verdict: Budget Zidane with better haitcuts 
  • Isco – I remember seeing him excel during the U21 Euros, technically excellent but it was clear he wasn’t dynamic enough to be a properly elite player. Also became fat in his 30s which we can all sympathise with. Verdict: Still with Real, just plays better and more frequently.
  • De Gea – Goalkeeping has changed whilst he has been at the top, but his distribution is what keeps him behind the best. In the recent past (and certainly in the days of the pass back) this was far less of an issue. Vedict: Still at a top club, and first choice for Spain, not easily eclipsed by Allison or Ederson

Struggling for a fifth on that last one tbh, sure it will come to me later.

The greats would be great in any era, good players would be good in any era, shite players would be shite players in any era, and OK players would be OK in any era. The Lisbon Lions would be feckin’ awesome in 2022 with modern kit, balls, surfaces, training, fitness and diet. The current Liverpool team would be feckin’ awesome in any era you care to mention. Mo Camara in a St Mirren shirt would however remain somewhat pish even if the club car he got was a DeLorean with a fully functioning flux capacitor.

1 hour ago, killiepiemuncher said:

George Best would’ve been even more of a phenomenon if he’d been under the guidance of Alex Ferguson. Fergie would’ve got his head straight to cope with the modern game.

Given that Fergie got rid of McGrath who, like Best was a raging alcoholic, but had more of a work ethic, I wouldn't agree with this. Can you think of any such troubled geniuses who Fergie rehabilitated? I reckon the increase in focus around mental health generally would be more conducive to the likes of Best than just Fergie, so you might be right overall.

Great idea for a thread, although less of the obscure initialisms please (I don't watch nearly enough non-scottish football for that).

Scott Paterson would have been immense nowadays. Ball playing centre halves were like hen's teeth in the noughties, and sport science would have sorted his hip out earlier so he wouldn't end up at the Jags (🥺) and retiring at 29.

He'd end up at a hipstery German outfit like Frankfurt or Mainz, before becoming an Ajax stalwart. I fucking fancy him.

Edited by velo army

2 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

George Best would’ve been even more of a phenomenon if he’d been under the guidance of Alex Ferguson. Fergie would’ve got his head straight to cope with the modern game.

George Best was going to struggle mentally in any era. The greatest player I ever seen live, and much to nice a bloke for his own good.

On 21/04/2022 at 12:25, Satoshi said:

• Isco – I remember seeing him excel during the U21 Euros, technically excellent but it was clear he wasn’t dynamic enough to be a properly elite player. Also became fat in his 30s which we can all sympathise with. Verdict: Still with Real, just plays better and more frequently.

He must have had some amount of cake for breakfast given that he literally turned 30 on the day you wrote this post.

4 hours ago, David W said:

He must have had some amount of cake for breakfast given that he literally turned 30 on the day you wrote this post.

You're right, he was fat at 29 which is much less acceptable.

Won it all, so you can't begrudge him living the good life. Almost certainly a more balanced and happier individual than the perfectionists he is surrounded by.

On 21/04/2022 at 12:25, Satoshi said:

Football has developed significantly over the last few decades, and as an interesting thought exercise we can consider which players who would thrive (or do worse) in the modern game and vice versa. I’ve put this in a top 5 format, but it’s open format hence keeping in this sub forum.

Players can be of any ability level or era, and for me a good guide would be is there a similar type of player at the top level now?

Former players who would struggle now

• David Beckham – referring to point above, does anyone know any one paced right midfielders at top clubs now? Beckhams strengths, his technical ability, set pieces and hard work on / off the pitch aren’t really enough to cover his deficiencies in pace, goal scoring, positioning, defensive ability, running with the ball etc. For me he’s actually very similar to JWP and would probably end up with a similar career playing central midfield with more mobile midfielders covering him. Verdict: a more handsome version of JWP, but not as good at golf
  • Filippo Inzaghi – an obvious one, was a relic even in his own era. With forwards asked to do far more now (and more agile defenders) he wouldn’t be winning CL titles any more. Verdict: a budget Mauro Icardi, but still probably scoring quite a lot in a top division for a middling club.
  • Gary Neville – is there many slow, not very technical full backs around these days? Even if Neville got a bit more attack minded later in his career he was never Marcos Alonso (a current era slow full back who makes up for it going forward) and his tenaciousness / defensive ability wouldn’t have got him to the top level. Would maybe be the 5th choice for England now. Verdict: He was better than Tony Hibbert so let’s give him a Seamus Coleman like career at a club like Everton
  • Didier Drogba – Suffers a bit from the loss of the traditional number 9, he wasn’t technically good enough to drop deep and dictate the play (like Kane) and his touch / awareness certainly isn’t Benzema or Lewandowski. He’s a leaner, quicker version of Lukaku. Verdict: Still playing at top clubs, but not as good as those mentioned above, and a second tier striker with patches of poor form (like Lukaku). Would probably still score in finals, but so did Milito.
  • Guti – The number 10 hardly exists any more, so pick who you like, but particularly lackadaisical number 10s would suffer the most. Still has the best assist of all time. Verdict: even more of a Madrid bench warmer, or a mid table club.

Cesar Azpilicueta is just a modern version of Gary Neville. Not particularly quick, but can support the play and put in decent balls into the box. Can also play as a right centre back if needed. Neville was underrated as a player, it was his high energy, overlapping runs that allowed Beckham to be the player you described. I'd certainly rather have him than Wan-Bissaka or Dalot (not that that is saying much).

Beckham would also have been fine. His position no longer really exists at that level because teams play with 1 striker, or even none, therefore there is no need for someone to whip crosses in. That is generally the role of the full-back when the team has more bodies forward. Beckham I think would have become a creative central midfielder, perhaps in the deep lying position which wasn't that common back then as most team had 2 box to box players in midfield. Or a bit further forward. I'm sure he was a central midfielder for a lot of his youth but was put out right because it suited Utd's style of play at the time.

Inzaghi I agree with. In general goal poaching strikers who contribute nothing to the build up play are an extinct species at the top level. Lewandowski is as close to a pure goalscorer as there is but even he is a far better all round player than Inzaghi ever was. There is a real lack of top quality goalscoring strikers worldwide now, I think because the game has changed and the expectations of strikers are different.

I think Drogba would still be pretty much what he was. Same with Guti who was pretty adaptable anyway.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Azpilicueta was who I thought Neville was most similar too, but he was actually pretty quick in his prime just not so much now.

He would certainly be a better option than Wan-Bissaka or Dalot but isn't at the level of Azpilicueta (for me).

And no doubt that Beckham would have been fine, but as a creative central midfielder he would be playing for a club like Southampton, not PSG, Man Utd and Real Madrid. He's not close to their current incumbents in that position like Verratti or Modric/Kroos.

But still, it's all about opinions, and this is an unkowable field. 

Neymar.

I know this seems an odd shout because he is still excellent and one of the best in the world. The thing is, if he was around in the 90's, he would have been considered the greatest of them all.

The man is a flair player to his bones, but in the current era that is coached out and players are expected to contribute more to the team, or to get the ball forward quickly and efficiently. Back in the 90's, or even the early noughties, he would have been given free rein to just do magic, and he would have been unstoppable. The modern obsession with stats and numbers means that Neymar will get sidelined in conversations around who is the best of his generation, simply as he hasn't scored enough goals. For those of us (absolute da's) for whom football is about beauty and magic rather than stats, Neymar would have been lauded in an earlier era.

10 hours ago, velo army said:

Neymar.

I know this seems an odd shout because he is still excellent and one of the best in the world. The thing is, if he was around in the 90's, he would have been considered the greatest of them all.

The man is a flair player to his bones, but in the current era that is coached out and players are expected to contribute more to the team, or to get the ball forward quickly and efficiently. Back in the 90's, or even the early noughties, he would have been given free rein to just do magic, and he would have been unstoppable. The modern obsession with stats and numbers means that Neymar will get sidelined in conversations around who is the best of his generation, simply as he hasn't scored enough goals. For those of us (absolute da's) for whom football is about beauty and magic rather than stats, Neymar would have been lauded in an earlier era.

He is a great player, but is also a detestable little shit. 

It would've been a joy watching 90s defenders booting lumps whenever he started his nonsense, without the cards that such treatment would now receive. 

On 21/04/2022 at 16:24, pozbaird said:

The greats would be great in any era, good players would be good in any era, shite players would be shite players in any era, and OK players would be OK in any era. The Lisbon Lions would be feckin’ awesome in 2022 with modern kit, balls, surfaces, training, fitness and diet. The current Liverpool team would be feckin’ awesome in any era you care to mention. Mo Camara in a St Mirren shirt would however remain somewhat pish even if the club car he got was a DeLorean with a fully functioning flux capacitor.

I was going to reply a few days ago, and thought the exact same thing.

15 hours ago, velo army said:

Neymar.

He wouldnt even have been a regular for Brazil in the 90s/00s.

Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and Ronaldo would all start ahead of him, for me.