Dundee FC New Stadium Thread

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_4608.jpg

Taking this with a pinch of salt but if true it seems mental. Why would Dundee not just play at Dens until their new stadium is built? I can see this ending in nothing but tears for Dundee if this is the route they choose to go down. If they run into any issues during the stadium build they could find themselves in a situation where they are homeless. That said, I’m sure plenty of Dundee fans already know what that feels like BAHAHA!!!

21 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

IMG_4608.jpg

Taking this with a pinch of salt but if true it seems mental. Why would Dundee not just play at Dens until their new stadium is built? I can see this ending in nothing but tears for Dundee if this is the route they choose to go down. If they run into any issues during the stadium build they could find themselves in a situation where they are homeless. That said, I’m sure plenty of Dundee fans already know what that feels like BAHAHA!!!

Apparently it's because they want to use some of the structure of Dens in the new stadium. Specifically from the BC and Shankly stands which were designed to be kind of like an IKEA flat pack piece of furniture.

I don't know what to believe tbh and still have my doubts any of it will happen but makes sense to be negotiating with you lot, Arbroath and United so that United for example, can't just hold us over a barrel and charge us an extortionate rental fee.

You would think Dundee could play a season with just the two side stands at Dens though if that was the case, would save money on rent and provide a fallback option if the new one fell through.  Surely it’s more to do with wanting to sell Dens to get cash in first?

It seems an easy backdoor way to a groundshare if the new one didn’t happen. I’d be really wary of losing dens before the new one is at least half built, though not sure what say Dundee fans will have in it.

28 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You would think Dundee could play a season with just the two side stands at Dens though if that was the case, would save money on rent and provide a fallback option if the new one fell through.  Surely it’s more to do with wanting to sell Dens to get cash in first?

It seems an easy backdoor way to a groundshare if the new one didn’t happen. I’d be really wary of losing dens before the new one is at least half built, though not sure what say Dundee fans will have in it.

Would this all depend on which league Dundee find themselves in next season.

if the end stands hold 3000 each that reduces the capacity from 11850 to 5850.

If they gain promotion a reduced capacity of 5850 is not going to work but how many times in a Championship or at worst case league 1 season would that be needed

A big assumption from me is that the two end stands are built on a flat concrete base, if that was the case and extra capacity was needed if they stayed at Dens could that not be used to add stands similar to those at Cove just to give a bit of extra capacity while the new build was being completed.

11 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Would this all depend on which league Dundee find themselves in next season.

if the end stands hold 3000 each that reduces the capacity from 11850 to 5850.

If they gain promotion a reduced capacity of 5850 is not going to work but how many times in a Championship or at worst case league 1 season would that be needed

Not to be entirely cynical, but look at Gayfield. They are supposedly discussing a share there, and it’s capacity is a massive 6,600, with a heady 861 seats. Hell, why not Station Park, that’ll hold 6,777, but only 739 seated!

In the end, it’s an obvious admission they need the dosh from selling Dens to build the new stadia…all I can say is “Remember Brockville”…

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Not to be entirely cynical, but look at Gayfield. They are supposedly discussing a share there, and it’s capacity is a massive 6,600, with a heady 861 seats. Hell, why not Station Park, that’ll hold 6,777, but only 739 seated!

In the end, it’s an obvious admission they need the dosh from selling Dens to build the new stadia…all I can say is “Remember Brockville”…

They don't own Dens.  

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

If we got promoted then Gayfield wouldn't be an option, naturally.

Our average attendance in the Championship is about 4500. Probably about 5500 if we were strolling the league. Take into account a wee drop in attendance due to travelling to Arbroath and there's nothing wrong with that being used for a season in this division.

Whole thing is water cooler chat.

"I'm going to build a stadium" - Okay do it.

2 years later 

"I'm going to build a stadium up camperdown and it's going to boost the Dundee economy" - Okay do it.

COVID ends (5 years later)

"The plans have changed a little, but I'm going to build a stadium one day" - For phuck sake do it.

Just now, Fifespud said:

This is not news. I don’t waste a second worrying about this, I can do nothing about it, que sera, sera.

Is that a hint that the Dee is gonna buy the old seats from San Siro to equip the new place?

On 02/11/2022 at 14:59, realmadrid said:

A big assumption from me is that the two end stands are built on a flat concrete base, if that was the case and extra capacity was needed if they stayed at Dens could that not be used to add stands similar to those at Cove just to give a bit of extra capacity while the new build was being completed.

Those stands are on a steel structure so each support column would be sited on a concrete pad that is sitting in a piled excavation. Each one is piled to a unique depth and the concrete poured in until they are all at the same level. So, very bespoke and not adaptable. But the gazebo type are non load bearing and can sit on a raft, maybe 150-200mm thick depending on how many fans. Relatively quick and cheap.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Those stands are on a steel structure so each support column would be sited on a concrete pad that is sitting in a piled excavation. Each one is piled to a unique depth and the concrete poured in until they are all at the same level. So, very bespoke and not adaptable. But the gazebo type are non load bearing and can sit on a raft, maybe 150-200mm thick depending on how many fans. Relatively quick and cheap.

Thanks

I do wonder how much of the existing stands are movable. its been done before in Scotland and would be good PR from an environmental point of view

I was more meaning the whole base that the concourse etc sits on. I appreciate it may get destroyed to move the stands and i can only see any temporary stands going up if it was going to generate more money than it would cost the club. if a flat surface was there at least that should help

Just don't get the builders in who are doing the job at Hampden, the temporary stands would be finished after the new ground was open!

56 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Thanks

I do wonder how much of the existing stands are movable. its been done before in Scotland and would be good PR from an environmental point of view

I was more meaning the whole base that the concourse etc sits on. I appreciate it may get destroyed to move the stands and i can only see any temporary stands going up if it was going to generate more money than it would cost the club. if a flat surface was there at least that should help

Just don't get the builders in who are doing the job at Hampden, the temporary stands would be finished after the new ground was open!

You’re welcome.

Who told you we had builders?🤬

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

14 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

12 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Thanks

It has been said several times that the 2 newer stands can be relocated